Belichick touching the official after the game

Dragonborn10

In fact, in that absurd flag-fest last night, they probably got 90+% of the penalties right. There were a couple of bad PI calls and the PF on Reed was boardline. But it wasn't the refs fault that these two teams came to hit and go after each other and comitted a crazy # of fouls.

Exactly, and how often during any given Sunday during any given season are their complaints about bad PI calls. All the time, right? It's just that now, we have a culprit - "the replacements" - whereas before we just had to accept it as a happenstance of the game.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Phil Luckett didn;t know his heads from his tails.

I'm not saying that they won't screw up a call. I'm saying that I'm not sure that they do it with any more frequency than did the regular crew. However the expectation is that since they're replacements, they'll screw up. So there is a heightened level of scrutiny around EVERYTHING they do.

They're also dealing with a dynamic that the regular refs didn't have to deal with...players are trying to push the limit to see what they can get away with. So when people point out that there are more flags, that is consistent with player's own admissions that they're pushing it a bit.

It's like when Gerald Ford was labeled as clumsy because he tripped descending the airplane stairs. It happens ALL the time. But because there was so much media attention on the president and every move that he made post-Watergate, even pedestrian things began to define him.

That's what's happening here.

This ^

while i agree they are under an unfair magnifying glass.... if they were every bit as good as the NFLRA - why were they not even in the D1 ranks, yet alone the NFL.

its like saying a D3 RB can be every bit as good because of fred jackson, and pointing to a top ten pick with years of experience having some fumbles or dropped passes as proof that they are no better.

how do you explain no drop off in talent? is it that the NFLRA picks poorly? that they dont train them well? does experience not grow ability?

either group will make mistakes but its odd to me that many think theres no difference. even the actual replacements will admit theres an adjustment period.

Oh yeah... and I rather play the Pats with replacement refs and not the regulars who have been favoring the Pats for years with phantom calls.

exactly, we stand a fighting chance this way.

while i agree they are under an unfair magnifying glass.... if they were every bit as good as the NFLRA - why were they not even in the D1 ranks, yet alone the NFL.

its like saying a D3 RB can be every bit as good because of fred jackson, and pointing to a top ten pick with years of experience having some fumbles or dropped passes as proof that they are no better.

how do you explain no drop off in talent? is it that the NFLRA picks poorly? that they dont train them well? does experience not grow ability?

either group will make mistakes but its odd to me that many think theres no difference. even the actual replacements will admit theres an adjustment period.

How long is the adjustment period? Two years?

Look at this issue, for example. People complaining that the FG wasn't reviewed -- yet it wasn't reviewable and the refs made the right call - but they're still getting grief.

Agreed; it's absurd. If the regular refs were on duty, there wouldn't have been even the slightest suggestion that the FG was questionable or in need of review. It would have been "wow, what a close call!" and that's it. Belichick wouldn't have run after the refs and no one would have mentioned it.

In fact, I can't think of a single instance in 25 years of seeing a review of a FG attempt.

thats fair enough.

its still frustrating when gronk and lewis are having a bar fight in the secondary just snaps prior, and this comparatively was just getting a little handsy

Why is that frustrating? Yes, Gronk and Lewis were having a bar fight -- both went right at each other and both went down and the play went somewhere else. Same thing happened earlier in the game with the boxing match between Edelman and a CB. Who is supposed to get a flag in those instances? To me, that's exactly the kind of thing you don't throw a flag on because there was no clear foul by one party and it didn't impact the play.

But there was clearly a foul that directly resulted in the Brady INT so I don't see how you can ignore that call.

If a player touches the ref he is thrown out of game or suspended next game most likely. With the warnings going out and now BB actually putting a hand on him I can see this being a suspension as an example to all other coaches. Either that or a very significant fine in the six figure range.

Perhaps you're the one who needs a reading comprehension lesson first (not surprising).

PS - Anyone bringing up the fact that Wilfork ran into the endzone and took his helmet off? IIRC, that's a personal foul on the defense, so Ravens would have had another play anyway :)

WTF dude? What did I say wrong? Absolutely Nothing! You took someoneelses rant and quoted one of my posts where I asked if a FG was reviewable and It was not. I then posted the rules on it.

I get you don't like my political stance but this isn't the PPP so get off your high horse.

I think ref at least owed Belichick an explanation regardless as to whether reviewable or not.

Why? Even if the rules allowed for it to be reviewed, Belichick was not within his rights to challenge the call as it was in the last 2:00 minutes. The refs are not obligated to second guess themselves when they've made a clear decision just because a coach is having a hissy fit.

Spend time in jail for assault much?

If the cop wasn't there to witness it, BUT there was clear proof an altercation, it would actually be a battery charge.

But to answer your question, -no. Not much :flirt:

Edited by #34fan

Why? Even if the rules allowed for it to be reviewed, Belichick was not within his rights to challenge the call as it was in the last 2:00 minutes. The refs are not obligated to second guess themselves when they've made a clear decision just because a coach is having a hissy fit.

The ruling came (or, more precisely, didn't come) from above. Since it's not a reviewable play, the upstairs guys didn't review it. It had nothing to do with the on-field ref. And Belichick not knowing the rule doesn't absolve him from grabbing the ref.

Perhaps you're the one who needs a reading comprehension lesson first (not surprising).

PS - Anyone bringing up the fact that Wilfork ran into the endzone and took his helmet off? IIRC, that's a personal foul on the defense, so Ravens would have had another play anyway :)

It's an unsportmanlike conduct penalty. But the game was over--everyone may take off their helmet at that time.

Edited by Mr. WEO

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8420985/bill-belichick-said-meant-no-disrespect-grabbed-ref-new-england-patriots-loss

As much as I hate everything to do with the Pats, after reading this I don't really thing Bellichick did anything all that wrong. Says he was just trying to stop the ref to ask if the play was under review.

http://espn.go.com/b...d-patriots-loss

As much as I hate everything to do with the Pats, after reading this I don't really thing Bellichick did anything all that wrong. Says he was just trying to stop the ref to ask if the play was under review.

??

The footage clearly shows him running down the ref, GRABBING HIS ARM, and mouthing (screaming) the words "do your job."

If it was called. A big "if".