Mario Williams was a huge factor (photos)

I suspect the Bills will soon face a stubborn, small-minded offensive coordinator who doesn't completely do his homework and decides that Mario is past his prime and can be handled for an entire game by a single blocker. He'll design his entire gameplan around five-step drops and doubling Dareus and Kyle, thinking that he's got it all figured out. And Mario will destroy that gameplan. I'm not sure yet who it will be - would be great if it were McDaniels but Belichick is too savvy and involved to allow that kind of mistake to occur. Doubt it will be Shurmur - he'll get the ball out of Weeden's hands as quickly as possible on passing plays. Perhaps Wisenhunt. We'll see - it will happen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stylish thanks for posting this.....

Ultimately...what people dont understand is that we are still on game 3 of a 16 game season...and that sacks tend to come in bunches.

The defense is still learning how to play together.......the LOS does not move with these guys hardly ever so we aren't getting ran on....we are controlling our edges for the first time in forever.......and Mario is a big part of that.

The sacks will come for Mario just watch.

Agreed-- nice post. I too have been pretty critical of MW, but there is some good stuff here.

Of course, I still dispute the idea that sacks are unimportant or that we shouldn't expect MW to get them (even when faced with double-teams, chips, etc.). But I concede that MW had a good game and helped the d-line on a whole create pressure.

Sacks ARE important and the Bills got 5 of them. And MW contributed mightily to that total. When you have to put two or more guys on him, this opens the door to other guys getting the sack. This is the most TEAM dependent of any major sport and stats should be understood in that light.

The fact that he was a 3-4 end alone makes it remarkable. But add that to being double-teamed---really unreal.

But to needle MW a bit-- he's no Bruce Smith, but he is an elite pass rusher. And all the elite pass-rushers get extra attention. The key is--can he consistently win and/or dominate the one on ones? Can he occasionally nonetheless beat those double-teams?

We haven't seen Williams beat his guy on a one-on-one yet--at least for a sack.

ive seen him do it many times. but i watched the other 6 years of his career too.

I'm curious to see what happened on the plays where he wasn't on the field.

I agree, that he is getting attention from the other team, but I'm not sure if it's needed (as the Jets proved).

The Jets kept 7 in to block on most plays and got the ball out quickly. I think the only thing that would have helped is what they did last week vs. the Chiefs and set the corners in tight bump coverage

ive seen him do it many times. but i watched the other 6 years of his career too.

So have I. But I've also seen lots of players succeed with one team, and fail with another. In light of the season-ending injuries he had with the Texans, I'll continue to be worried until I see him win those one-on-one battles with us.

Thanks for the analysis. Sacks are great, but Mario was brought here to help the pass rush, and he did a good job of that against KC.

If he continues to have this type of impact, which he can, I'll be very happy. Even if his sack total is not that high.

Yeah his style is different. I expected a Bruce, Schobel type edge rusher (hadn't really seen the guy play much in Houston) but it seems like his impact plays are bullrush.

The first time it became obvious was the Pittsburgh game when he drove his man straight back into Big Ben.

He obviously has other moves, but my guess is he's setting up the bullrush for that pocket collapse. That's when the good stuff happens.

Yeah his style is different. I expected a Bruce, Schobel type edge rusher (hadn't really seen the guy play much in Houston) but it seems like his impact plays are bullrush.

The first time it became obvious was the Pittsburgh game when he drove his man straight back into Big Ben.

He obviously has other moves, but my guess is he's setting up the bullrush for that pocket collapse. That's when the good stuff happens.

hes a big dude. a real big dude.

he has the other moves but by staying powerful in his rush i think its easier to play the run, set the edge, and like you said collapse the pocket.

another thing is he isnt on the qbs blindside. When that RT gets walked back into his face, Mario isnt going to surprise him, the qb is going to likely panic some, and try to escape (likely into someone elses arms).

Yeah, I agree. Mario is making in impact in ways that are not easily seen. I have certainly felt jumping his case to be very premature for those who have done it on here. We've had him for 2 games. Just because somebody makes 100 millionn doesn't mean they are the incredible hulk and can just flcik off 315 pound men on every play. He is making an impact and will get his share of sacks. My only concern with him is injury. He tore the pectoral last year. Early in his career he struggled with turf toe which can be nagging. And now this year he already has a wrist issue. Please play all 16!

Edited by The Voice of Truth

The post and the detail hopefully can help some folks relax a bit.

Thanks for the extra effort by a darn good fan supporting the team with us!

That was one heck of a fun game to watch. No wonder Chiefs defense was so pissed at us.

It's a team effort and this game was a pleasure to review.

If you are having a bad day, sit back with a beverage of your choice and study our defensive play this day. Wannstadt has a pulse !

Man do we have potential or what?

Thanks again Literate for the ahem ... clarification in regard to MariO's play.

see what i did there?