Mario Williams was a huge factor (photos)

First, I want to dispell the myth that Mario wasn't being double teamed. Just because YOU didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And in fact, it did.

This happened the entire game. On some plays, they would have the RB stay in for a moment to check if Mario was getting the best of the RT, if not he would flank out for a pass. If so, he would stay in and double him. There's a reason why Charles and McCluster didnt catch my passes like they usually do...

ajpg28.png

Another method the Chiefs used was to have the TE chip Mario and then have the RT there as backup. Another double team.

1)

1rsqa8.png

2)10xatcw.png

Second, I want to showcase exactly the impact that Mario is making. Just because he is not recording the sack, does not mean that he is not the reason for them. Just like Revis will not get a lot of interceptions.

Take a look at this play. Mario dominates his man so much that he pushes him back into the QB. Cassel feels this, steps up into the pocket where Dareus takes him down. MARIO is the reason for this sack.

1) xc6etu.png

2)

eirvhi.png

3) Sackkb6j4k.png

On this next play, Mario's presence leads to Kyle Williams getting to Cassel and causing the in completion. The right guard moves over to help the LT as seen by the arrow. By the time the RG moves back to his spot, Kyle Williams is already past him and on the way to the QB.

1)

34q312o.png

2) dwxm4h.png

The next play, Mario flat out beats his guy on a beautiful inside move forcing Cassel to release the ball. Incomplete.

sg4coo.png

This is just a small sampling. But I think you get the point.

Football is a game of inches. Some of the most important players are invisible, but their impact is what wins you the game.

Edited by LiterateStylish

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the All22 and keyed on Mario most plays and he had a very good game. There are little things that are hard to see sometimes and we fans don't see what an impact they have on the play. This was a tiny example but there was a play when he tried to swing to the middle but what blocked, and ended up right in front of Cassell but couldn't get to him. Cassell say a WR over the middle and started to throw. Mario jumped up and his arm was really high. Cassell stopped his throwing motion because he knew he couldn't get it by, backpedaled a little and then threw it over the middle not even close to anyone. That was the equivalent of a DB making a pass defense, or a heavy pressure that forced an incompletion but doesn't show up anywhere on the stat sheet. At least two of the sacks he forced Cassell to step up into the pocket which collapsed and he was tackled for a loss. Mario was very good.

I watched the All22 and keyed on Mario most plays and he had a very good game. There are little things that are hard to see sometimes and we fans don't see what an impact they have on the play. This was a tiny example but there was a play when he tried to swing to the middle but what blocked, and ended up right in front of Cassell but couldn't get to him. Cassell say a WR over the middle and started to throw. Mario jumped up and his arm was really high. Cassell stopped his throwing motion because he knew he couldn't get it by, backpedaled a little and then threw it over the middle not even close to anyone. That was the equivalent of a DB making a pass defense, or a heavy pressure that forced an incompletion but doesn't show up anywhere on the stat sheet. At least two of the sacks he forced Cassell to step up into the pocket which collapsed and he was tackled for a loss. Mario was very good.

Youre absolutely right. My post could have been 4x longer. He had a huge impact.

First, I want to dispell the myth that Mario wasn't being double teamed. Just because YOU didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And in fact, it did.

This happened the entire game. On some plays, they would have the RB stay in for a moment to check if Mario was getting the best of the RT, if not he would flank out for a pass. If so, he would stay in and double him. There's a reason why Charles and McCluster didnt catch my passes like they usually do...

ajpg28.png

Another method the Chiefs used was to have the TE chip Mario and then have the RT there as backup. Another double team.

1)

1rsqa8.png

2)10xatcw.png

Second, I want to showcase exactly the impact that Mario is making. Just because he is not recording the sack, does not mean that he is not the reason for them. Just like Revis will not get a lot of interceptions.

Take a look at this play. Mario dominates his man so much that he pushes him back into the QB. Cassel feels this, steps up into the pocket where Dareus takes him down. MARIO is the reason for this sack.

1) xc6etu.png

2)

eirvhi.png

3) Sackkb6j4k.png

On this next play, Mario's presence leads to Kyle Williams getting to Cassel and causing the in completion. The right guard moves over to help the LT as seen by the arrow. By the time the RG moves back to his spot, Kyle Williams is already past him and on the way to the QB.

1)

34q312o.png

2) dwxm4h.png

The next play, Mario flat out beats his guy on a beautiful inside move forcing Cassel to release the ball. Incomplete.

sg4coo.png

This is just a small sampling. But I think you get the point.

Football is a game of inches. Some of the most important players are invisible, but their impact is what wins you the game.

Great post. I've been critical of Mario. More for his whining, but also because of his lack of pressure on the QB. I still think he was wrong for whining, but I feel much better about his impact. Thanks for sharing.

There's a reason why Charles and McCluster didnt catch my passes like they usually do...

LiterateStylish, my good friend, bravo! When YE OLE read this, he actually envisioned the Most Interesting Man in the World in his usual attire under center, sending Charles and/or McCluster in motion, and proceeding to gun it out there, catching the passes from you like they usually do... you'd hit them in stride and they'd take it to the house. On a side note, YE OLE agrees with your post wtr to SUPER MARIO.

Agreed-- nice post. I too have been pretty critical of MW, but there is some good stuff here.

Of course, I still dispute the idea that sacks are unimportant or that we shouldn't expect MW to get them (even when faced with double-teams, chips, etc.). But I concede that MW had a good game and helped the d-line on a whole create pressure.

Thanks for the analysis. Sacks are great, but Mario was brought here to help the pass rush, and he did a good job of that against KC.

If he continues to have this type of impact, which he can, I'll be very happy. Even if his sack total is not that high.

I don't care who is getting sacks, so long as someone IS getting them. Our DTs should, in theory, get more sacks than most if they take away the QBs ability to step up in the pocket. This is a big factor against Brady - it is well documented that he has extreme distaste for pressure in his face that impacts his ability to step up.

What was disturbing against the Jets was that nobody did anything and they seemed content to hold their blocks at the line, seemingly due to Wildcat action. We clearly don't have the back-end to play that way so come hell or high water our D-Line needs to get into the backfield.

Funny how Bruce Smith was constantly double teamed and triple teamed, the preeminent source of concern (and often trepidation) for the opposing QB and coordinator the whole game, played in 3/4, and somehow managed to put up mind boggling numbers in terms of sacks and tackles for nearly the entire first fifteen years of his career. There was a guest on NFL radio recently who runs an NFL statistics website who could not stop raving about how Bruce's cold hard statistics were off the charts in every category (e.g. 3X tackles/game than the average end. etc.) and that Bruce is the gold standard of defensive ends in terms of statistics standing alone without reference to "reputation" or "aura" (he went on to say that Bruce's stats blow away Reggie White's).

Not a knock on Mario Williams, clearly a pro bowl plus caliber player. Just saying Bruce was a once in a lifetime player. There is a difference. It will be very tough for Mario for a long time, since Buffalo fans will naturally be comparing him to an incomparable talent.

Funny how Bruce Smith was constantly double teamed and triple teamed, the preeminent source of concern (and often trepidation) for the opposing QB and coordinator the whole game, played in 3/4, and somehow managed to put up mind boggling numbers in terms of sacks and tackles for nearly the entire first fifteen years of his career. There was a guest on NFL radio recently who runs an NFL statistics website who could not stop raving about how Bruce's cold hard statistics were off the charts in every category (e.g. 3X tackles/game than the average end. etc.) and that Bruce is the gold standard of defensive ends in terms of statistics standing alone without reference to "reputation" or "aura" (he went on to say that Bruce's stats blow away Reggie White's).

Not a knock on Mario Williams, clearly a pro bowl plus caliber player. Just saying Bruce was a once in a lifetime player. There is a difference. It will be very tough for Mario for a long time, since Buffalo fans will naturally be comparing him to an incomparable talent.

The fact that he was a 3-4 end alone makes it remarkable. But add that to being double-teamed---really unreal.

But to needle MW a bit-- he's no Bruce Smith, but he is an elite pass rusher. And all the elite pass-rushers get extra attention. The key is--can he consistently win and/or dominate the one on ones? Can he occasionally nonetheless beat those double-teams?

We haven't seen Williams beat his guy on a one-on-one yet--at least for a sack.