Mario Williams was a huge factor (photos)

Good post!!

I would really like to see MW moved around a bit. I've said this in a previous post. I really think it would give offenses head aches.

If u have a TE staying home and the d has taking notice, why not switch MW to the other side. Of course it would have to be done as soon as they see the formaion that the O is in. Id like to see him and MA flip flop real quick. I think its worth a try.

Could you imagine what the left tackle would be thinking?? "Where the hell did he come from?!!"

Id also like to see them load up on MW's side. I really think that could make a difference too. Pertaining to his sack count. Just a couple thoughts.

Edited by qdawg in philly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post!!

I would really like to see MW moved around a bit. I've said this in a previous post. I really think it would give offenses head aches.

If u have a TE staying home and the d has taking notice, why not switch MW to the other side. Of course it would have to be done as soon as they see the formaion that the O is in. Id like to see him and MA flip flop real quick. I think its worth a try.

Could you imagine what the left tackle would be thinking?? "Where the hell did he come from?!!"

Id also like to see them load up on MW's side. I really think that could make a difference too. Pertaining to his sack count. Just a couple thoughts.

This. i have been thinking about since off season.

I hope it's a card up the ole sleeve trick. Once teams get enough film and figure us out we start in with the 4 DE's lined up and switching lanes etc.

Dont show em nothin till you gotta. We might see some 3-4 hybrid because we can with Kyle or Marcel at NT.

Don't worry qdawg Dave W. is probably drooling to bring the kitchen sink and annihilate.

lotsa fun to be had yet. we will see that stunt soon enough i bet.

Funny how Bruce Smith was constantly double teamed and triple teamed, the preeminent source of concern (and often trepidation) for the opposing QB and coordinator the whole game, played in 3/4, and somehow managed to put up mind boggling numbers in terms of sacks and tackles for nearly the entire first fifteen years of his career. There was a guest on NFL radio recently who runs an NFL statistics website who could not stop raving about how Bruce's cold hard statistics were off the charts in every category (e.g. 3X tackles/game than the average end. etc.) and that Bruce is the gold standard of defensive ends in terms of statistics standing alone without reference to "reputation" or "aura" (he went on to say that Bruce's stats blow away Reggie White's).

Not a knock on Mario Williams, clearly a pro bowl plus caliber player. Just saying Bruce was a once in a lifetime player. There is a difference. It will be very tough for Mario for a long time, since Buffalo fans will naturally be comparing him to an incomparable talent.

It's insane how great Bruce was. I was thinking about that after reading this post earlier. I was thinking Bruce got all these double teams, etc. and still is the all time leader in sacks. And, his linemates were not even close to how good these guys are, except for the year or two of Bryce Paup.

Bruce was also GREAT against the run, and he hit even harder later in his Bills career than he did earlier.

It's insane how great Bruce was. I was thinking about that after reading this post earlier. I was thinking Bruce got all these double teams, etc. and still is the all time leader in sacks. And, his linemates were not even close to how good these guys are, except for the year or two of Bryce Paup.

Bruce was also GREAT against the run, and he hit even harder later in his Bills career than he did earlier.

No doubt Bruce was one of a kind, but Cornelius Bennett was a game-changer rushing from the other side as well. They were a great pass rushing tandem.

GO BILLS!!!

Bruce's pinky finger tackle on an attempted end around by the Houston oilers on one of their WRs(Ernest Givens maybe?) was one of the most unbelievable plays I have ever seen...the WR just got stopped dead in his tracks by Bruce's finger in his jersey and he spun him to the ground...

First, I want to dispell the myth that Mario wasn't being double teamed. Just because YOU didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And in fact, it did.

Football is a game of inches. Some of the most important players are invisible, but their impact is what wins you the game.

This is fantastic. Great post, thanks for putting this together!

It's insane how great Bruce. I was thinking about that after reading this post earlier. I was thinking Bruce got all these double teams, etc. and still is the all time leader in sacks. And, his linemates were not even close to how good these guys are, except for the year or two of Bryce Paup.

My guess is that it didn't take the HOF voters a few days of scrutinizing game film and screenshots to come to this conclusion or to convince others of this....

Was it the best game of his career, probably not, but majorly improved. I really think one way that you will know when Mario is having a good game and getting doubled on almost every play is when you hear Mark Anderson or Chris Kelsay's name frequently being called on the other side, just like they were against K.C.

If he does what he did Sunday, every game, I don't care if he doesn't get a single sack.

Darn skippy!!!! Give Kyle, and Marcell the chance to make some plays. When everyone started comparing this line to the Giants, I thought otherwise. Our pass rushers are in the middle. And Kyle is going to the pro bowl again this year. I think Kyle plays so much like Warren Sapp did. He doesn't try to engage anybody... He blows by them with incredible violence of action.(my favorite ARMY term)

Kyle even has Sapp's body type, which I find kinda funny.

Nice breakdown. There is no question adding him elevates the impact of Darius and Kyle. I hope he gets some sacks to support it, and I saw the same from Shawn merrimen last year vs. pats in the win.

He was a big contributor to Brady's errant throws, constantly collapsing the pocket pushing into throwing lanes, etc.

Nix's bigger stronger fixation makes for great franchises.

Lit.... very good post . Maybe better than some I have seen in the newspapers. Great job.

If Mario does this every week his sacks will come. He effected the game because like you said Charles or the TE had to help out. This also leads to Kyle, Dareus and Mark Anderson with one on ones. I am beginning to think Kyle is unblockable most weeks with just one person. I would not be surprised if those DT's we have both end up with double digit sacks just because of Super Mario and if that happens he would earn his check.

I can tell you from being at the game that Mario also did a great job of crashing down inside to stop the runner on multiple plays. He definitely reminded me of Bruce on those plays. He's very good and the sacks will come.

I don't doubt he did what you said, but unless you were on the sidelines you can see that stuff better on TV most of the time.

I don't doubt he did what you said, but unless you were on the sidelines you can see that stuff better on TV most of the time.

Well thats simply untrue for many reasons. The sideline would likely be the worst vantage point for that.

Sometimes its better on TV but usually the camera focus is too tight to really see the entire play unfold. Not too hard to focus on a defensive end from the stands.