Official 9-11 thread

The Poojer

I'll never forget as a 10 year old when it happened. Our gym teacher right after class told us that "evil people from another country flew planes into really tall buildings as an act of terrorism." I was so scared that day, being so young. I never knew those buildings existed until that day, and I still wish they were standing. I'm glad they're rebuilding one world trade center.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the security immediately after 9/11. No TSA yet, but we did have National Guard soldiers with unloaded weapons at the airport check points. Nothing like deploying your security in confined areas, with unloaded weapons that are totally not suited to respond to an immediate threat!

As we know now, it only got better! Now the "experts" are wanting to taste your drink, that you just bought inside the "Secure Area."

Each year until now, I've thought "Wow, that was already ___ years ago? It feels like yesterday." That sensation must have reached a tipping point because even though the memory remains visceral and clear, it now feels like a long time ago.

Anybody else experiencing that?

Absolutely. Maybe because I worked downtown and was so close that day and everyday for the next 4 years, but it all seemed so raw and new for so long. Being able to hear the names read on the anniversaries from my office, standing in lines at lunch next to hard hats working near the site (there was so much peripheral work required outside the WTC site with utilities, transportation, etc), seeing the big hole day after day, watching local businesses fail one by one in the years afterwards, gawking tourists, etc.; those things all kept it very fresh for a long time.

But since then; once the clean up completed and with me moving away from that neighborhood, and with the national conscious moving away from the era of terror alerts, etc., it seems to have now taken its place in history. Something to be remembered and hopefully something our leaders learned from, but not something which is part of everyday life any longer.

But since then; once the clean up completed and with me moving away from that neighborhood, and with the national conscious moving away from the era of terror alerts, etc., it seems to have now taken its place in history. Something to be remembered and hopefully something our leaders learned from, but not something which is part of everyday life any longer.

and as we turn our attention to the disaster that the rebuilding has become. Would have preferred a big park on the site.

and as we turn our attention to the disaster that the rebuilding has become. Would have preferred a big park on the site.

No question about that.

But see, this is an example of the brilliance of government. What better way to get everything back to normal for the people than to turn the rebuilding effort into yet another gigantic, wasteful, special-interest-pissing-match, clusterf--k??

Skipping a "moment of silence" for a moment of "Oh God, we wish we had silence."

As we know now, it only got better! Now the "experts" are wanting to taste your drink, that you just bought inside the "Secure Area."

Which is even dumber than most people understand.

Flight 93 was headed to San Francisco, so there were a few people from out here ion the flight. In the town south of me, there is a street named for Mark Bingham next to the company he worked for. An overpass in the town north of me is named for Tom Burnett, who lived there.

Our company had a place in NJ as well as Alameda, CA. Several people would travel back and forth. We were watching the coverage in the lunch room at work. One guy had just flown back from NJ the night before. He disappeared to his office and came back ashen. Back then, you didn't print out your own boarding passes at home. He would book several flights and depending when he was done fly back in the late afternoon or the next morning. He came back in the room with several boarding passes and showed them to all of us. One was for flight 93 on September 11, 2001.

Edited by Wacka

So did I. I was out of work, and the first thing I turned on was TBD. Then I had to go watch it on TV.

After the 2d plane hit we evacuated the building; I took one last look at the two burning towers from City Hall Park before making a beeline for the subway to GCT and got the hell out of the city before they shut everything down. I didn't look at a TV until about 9:00 that night.

But now every year I can't stay away from all the Nat-Geo programs. It’s fascinating to see the area I knew so well in the midst of that chaos. Also it dawned on me watching last night how many lives the cops saved by spending that hour between 9-10 moving people away from the site.

But now every year I can't stay away from all the Nat-Geo programs. It’s fascinating to see the area I knew so well in the midst of that chaos. Also it dawned on me watching last night how many lives the cops saved by spending that hour between 9-10 moving people away from the site.

I watched "102 minutes" last night, a compilation of amateur videographers accounts of the scene all in chronological order. Pretty powerful stuff, I saw people from the office, trading floor and the security guard from our elevator bank who perished.

I watched "102 minutes" last night, a compilation of amateur videographers accounts of the scene all in chronological order. Pretty powerful stuff, I saw people from the office, trading floor and the security guard from our elevator bank who perished.

I watched that one too, plus the one about the Marriott survivors. Really powerful stuff, especially from those survivors who climbed out after #2 came down. The shots of the empty, debris covered plaza before the collapse hit home too -- I used to walk through there and get breakfast at the farmer's market when I stayed over in Battery Park City.

So sorry about your friends and colleagues. One of our employees got hit by falling debris after the impact and a few others caught in the dust cloud but thankfully everyone was ok.

Definitely recommended viewing. The amateur videos were so chilling.