Jackson suffers LCL injury,nothing conclusive...

bills44

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lateral collateral ligament. 'band' of support on the outer part of the knee. Injury to this or the MCL is not nearly as bad as ACL or PCL tear. Typically nonsurgical treatment and healing for the 'outer' ligaments vs surg repair for the 'inner' ones. Whether this is strained or torn likely won't change the therapy if it only involves the LCL. These are often nonsurgical as I said. He'd be out for some time regardless but not necessarily done for the year like an ACL.

If he has cartilage torn with it, however, or other internal ligament damage...... :sick:

Thanks Doc!

I remember quite well. Im a big FJax fan. But at his best, he wasnt as good as Spiller today.

What??? He averaged 5.5 yards a carry over 170 carries. He was consistently excellent each week. That doesn't even account for his 442 receiving yards.

I certainly hope Spiller keeps it up, but Fred's game last year was on another level.

What??? He averaged 5.5 yards a carry over 170 carries. He was consistently excellent each week. That doesn't even account for his 442 receiving yards.

I certainly hope Spiller keeps it up, but Fred's game last year was on another level.

Spiller averaged 12 yards per carry, Fred was great last season. MVP worthy. But If anyone was on another level, it was Spiller today.

LCL is on the side of the knee next to the IT Band. I partially tore mine back in 03 and it took 6 weeks to recover back to running track shape. Painfully, but recovery shouldn't be too bad unless it is completely torn. A sprain shouldn't be too bad, but depends on the severity

Where did you return to running back shape? Somewhere in the ECIC? Pop Warner? Give me a break, we are talking about the NFL.

He walked off the field. It can't be so bad he's done for the year.

PTR

hope you're right but i think the odds are his knee is the size of a large cantaloupe right now and there's more than a few torn fibers in that ligament. the mri will tell but will the bills tell us?

Where did you return to running back shape? Somewhere in the ECIC? Pop Warner? Give me a break, we are talking about the NFL.

actually as a decathlete at a SUNY school, where I had trainers giving me exercises to strengthen the knee. It took a 19 year old me 6 weeks to heal from a partial tear. I came back to finish 8th in conference in 4x200 relay, 7th in the 500, and won the 1000 m in the pentathlon competition in U of Toronto, during that indoor track season.

If Jackson has a similar injury, expect a similar amount of time out, possibly less due to the advanced facilities and attention that he may receive. Given the way that he was walking around, I'd hazard to guess that he didn't do as much damage as I did back then.

That all said Al, show respect instead trashing another's opinion and story.

hope you're right but i think the odds are his knee is the size of a large cantaloupe right now and there's more than a few torn fibers in that ligament. the mri will tell but will the bills tell us?

Yeah, it will hurt but I think he'll miss at most two weeks based on how he was walking to the locker room/ medical center at the Meadowlands. When I injured that ligament, my knee hurt so bad that it locked up to avoid any more damage within 2 minutes. Crutches were helpful to me during the first week of recovery. So, I'd be encouraged by the sign of him walking period.

Edited by justnzane

Joe Buscaglia's eyewitness account to Fred's post injury reaction:

http://wgr550.com/pages/14193211.php?contentType=4&contentId=11394472

"Jackson tried as hard as he could to convince the trainers he was okay and could go back in the game. They made him put all his body weight on his right leg and lift up with his toe. He went through a series of change of direction drills on the sidelines. At the very least, he made it look good. However, as soon as he was done with those change of direction drills, a likely realization of pain came over him. He yelled out and clapped out of frustration as his eyes began to well up, made a beeline for the bench and put a towel over his head. He knew his day was over, and likely feared the worst."

actually as a decathlete at a SUNY school, where I had trainers giving me exercises to strengthen the knee. It took a 19 year old me 6 weeks to heal from a partial tear. I came back to finish 8th in conference in 4x200 relay, 7th in the 500, and won the 1000 m in the pentathlon competition in U of Toronto, during that indoor track season.

If Jackson has a similar injury, expect a similar amount of time out, possibly less due to the advanced facilities and attention that he may receive. Given the way that he was walking around, I'd hazard to guess that he didn't do as much damage as I did back then.

That all said Al, show respect instead trashing another's opinion and story.

Yeah, it will hurt but I think he'll miss at most two weeks based on how he was walking to the locker room/ medical center at the Meadowlands. When I injured that ligament, my knee hurt so bad that it locked up to avoid any more damage within 2 minutes. Crutches were helpful to me during the first week of recovery. So, I'd be encouraged by the sign of him walking period.

With all due respect.......did you have 300lb guys diving at your knee on the track????

Not an every down back. He'll be done in November.

How has he proved it? Week one? Look at his size. He can't handle the workload of someone like Stephen Jackson.

Fair enough. I having nothing bad to say about Spiller. Based on his size alone I'd like to have someone split the load with him to minimize the punishment, but so far he looks great and has held up well.

Is Chris Johnson's size an issue, too? Can he not hold up as an every down back?? I love how people blindly bring up Spiller's size like he's some smurf/scatback. Check the facts. The Titan's Johnson is 5' 11", 191 lbs. Spiller is 5' 11", 200 lbs. Johnson has done just fine. CJ's size is fine for an every down back. Neither one has been injury prone. Jesus H, get a clue.

With all due respect.......did you have 300lb guys diving at your knee on the track????

No, but I can say with fair confidence that when I returned to the track, I also could have played on the turf. The drills that a college track athlete does in training for a decathlete is very intense, and involves many of the same agility and power drills that football players do.

The injury is one that didn't linger. Once it is healed, it didn't come back. Painful as hell until it is healed, but when it was done, it was done. Chances of reinjury are slim as there are very few ways to injure the LCL, usually the way that Fred did today.

Edited by justnzane

well, it looks like we are going to have to play barry ball...

barry ball is in reference to the 90s lions. a team that usually has one great player, their rb, ( here its spiller), and a qb who takes way to many chances and is average on his best day...

basically if we are lucky we go 9-7... and lose in the wildcard lol

Spiller averaged 12 yards per carry, Fred was great last season. MVP worthy. But If anyone was on another level, it was Spiller today.

Although he's a lot smaller, Spiller reminded me of a CJ, or even A.P. on that long 50 yard TD where he broke those tackles and had that huge burst of speed. It was scary quick