Optimists, let's hear it?

Virgil

Lb's did surprisingly well.

Leodis is hot n cold like a lot of cornerbacks are. He'll redeem himself next game. Same with Mario. The knock on him was consistency, but he'll come around.

Its a good thing we drafted Gilmore

Cordy Glenn did very well for a rookie LT on a road start against a complex defensive scheme

Maybin was inept and useless out there, so that's satisfying in a small way

CJ was the best player on the field

Jets O line was unbelievable in pass protection.

We have KC at home next week.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This. A 1 point loss looks no different in the win-loss column than a 20 point loss.

15-1 is still possible.

I'll assume this is sarcasm.

Just in case it's not, yeah, there's a difference in a 1 point loss and a 20 point loss. Problem here is it wasn't just a 20 point loss. This WAS a 41-7 game.

The Jets packed it in at that point.

When you have this one game to prepare for for as long as they have and THIS is what you get...your team has issues. BIG issues.

15-1 is possible? I'm looking for them to be relevant.

Wither you lose by 1 point or by 20 it only counts as one loss. The D can only stand to improve, and the offense hopefully got going as they put together a 21 point second half, yeah in garbage time but still its better to look good in garbage time as opposed to bad in it.

You're as delusional as the others who have offered up this crock.

I kind of think that the team might have needed this in a way. Its better to get smacked around week one when it can have a positive impact on your team going forward. The D and Fitz got a real wake up call lets see how they respond.

Don't mean to pick on you.......but the stupidity of this is criminal.

I'll try my hand at some optimism:

1. Best to lose like this at the beginning of the season, rather than at the end.

2. Like others have said, Spiller looks to be turning into an every down back finally, and a good one at that. Keep working on your pass protection CJ!

Jets are a bad matchup. Defense came out to stop run, but the Jets wanted to pass and Sanchez was sharp. The only player who played poorly on offense was Fitz and that was costly. Everything went wrong for the Bills and everything went right for the Jets.

Chiefs should be a better matchup. The Bills matchup well with next two opponents and will play NE tough everytime the way they are built.

Spiller looks ready to be a big time playmaker. Gilmore will get better from this. Fitz doesn't have to be great, just take care of the ball and the Bills will have chances to win every week.

Let's look forward to how the Bills-Jets play it out in week 17.

That was horrible. I'm not feeling good about the team right now, but I will say that it is a long season, and all the wrist-slitters might want to give it another week or two before you let yourself bleed out.

you can read 2 pages back and find a rambling, incoherent post from me re: why people with optimism about this team should jump of a bridge, and then try to drink their way to the surface.

HOWEVER.

i've slept on it, and i STILL think this team is going to the playoffs, and pretty easily.

first of all, no matter how bad it was yesterday, (and it was awful,) we still put up almost 30 points, and as of right now, statistically, have a top 10 offense in the league. let's be realistic here - how many games is Fitz going to throw 3 picks, and our defense is going to surrender 50 points?

we may be bad, it's fine to think we are, but we're not THAT bad. we're absolutely not THAT bad.

second, when you look at our schedule, and break it down, we need to go:

4-2 in the division (split the pats and jets, sweep the fish,)

2-2 in the NFC (ill take losses to san fran, and arizona, thanks)

2-2 against the south (maybe we lose to tennessee and houston)

and 1-1 against the teams that finished in 4th in the north and west, which is our next 2 games against kc and cleveland

to give us 9 wins. that got a 6 seed last year, and it's something we could do this year, easily.

more importantly, it doesn't even make next weeks game the MUST WIN that some have made it out to be. we can still lose to kc, and beat cleveland, and be on pace for a 6th seed. but if we DO beat kc, that buys us another "losable game" in our division, meaning we wouldnt HAVE to beat new england, we could get swept by them and still finish 9-7.

so, as mad as i was yesterday... and to be honest, i wasnt even mad, i was depressed... this sunday is a whole new ball game.

this is what it means to be a bills fan. this is why we all post here. you mean to tell me that you have followed this team for as long as you have, and youre going to walk away now? no. it's just getting good...

i look at it like the coaches say they do...in quarters and not to far ahead because guys get hurt in this league and you never know who isnt going to be there. My goal was 3-1 2-2 at worst is only a game off. Starts like this win this week 1-1.......Browns almost and should have beat Eagles......We've broken the chain with the Patriots and we are at home 3-1 is reachable 2-2 HAS to be there.

i believe theres enough talent here to still get to ten wins. i already counted this game as a loss, though not nearly by as bad as it was, so really from a standing point they still have at least ten opponents they should be better than

doesnt mean it will happen but im still confident they can make a run at it. theres no way they are as bad as they were yesterday, and neither are the jets that good. just one of those games. i expect a pretty easy quality win against the wahoos

I have to be honest, as an optimist myself the Bills put me to the test yesterday, and like many of you I was damn near ready to throw the rest of the season away BUT since I'm a Bills fan with a passion that burns like the eternal flame I was able to find several good things out of yesterdays shalacking.

1.) Run defense greatly improved

The Jets could get absolutely nothing going on the ground, just what we saw in the preseason this defense is built to plug gaps. In this NFL solid run D is not as important as it once was but is still a positive if we can shore up the pass defense.

2.) We almost came back

No seriously, we did. The Spiller fumble was a pretty damn iffy call and had it been ruled incomplete on the field there's no way it would've been overturned. Fitz throws one less pick, we don't give up a punt return TD, and we start to establish the run EARLIER and that game plays out very differently.

3.) Fitz was bad, but that's as bad as he gets.

I can confidently say that was the worst game I've ever seen Ryan Fitzpatrick play, and he still got 3TDs. Is he a good QB? No, in fact he's much more on the side of terrible than he ever will be good. But he's shown he can win games and does have the ability to throw 4TDs and no picks in a game. If he doesn't work out, we'll see how T-Jack does in week 6.

4.) Spiller finally not a bust

He looked good, he looked really really good. Making people miss, waiting for blocks to setup and then turning on the burners. Spiller was the only bright spot on a woeful offense but he was a star. He'll be splitting with Freddy evenly when he returns, slowly taking the full time spot, the kid is an absolute stud and I think the game finally slowed down for him.

5.) This team with a good starting QB is a consistent playoff contender

When Fitz throws well, our offense can score, now if we had a QB who could throw well EVERY GAME, well, we'd be a top ten offense, easily. Obviously we aren't going to have that guy by the end of the season but its been 12 years, what the hell's another offseason?

6.) MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL

IT'S WEEK ONE. ONE WEEK. ONE GAME OF SIXTEEN. Do you remember last year? We blew the Chiefs out 41-7, started 5-2, and then sucked. Week one is hardly ever an indication of how a team will play for the rest of the season. We have issues like every other team, and as hard as it is to hear we are still building.

This season ain't over, the sky STILL isn't falling, trust me I checked, and the Bills are still in the playoff hunt as far as I'm concerned.

We almost came back - lol! So you are trying to say if we didn't lose we would have won.......

Positives?

With any luck at all, the throngs of fair-weather fans jumping off the bandwagon after one loss won't decide to jump back on next week and profess how much they 'Bill-ieve' :rolleyes:

Weeding out the annoying prophesiers of doom just longing for company in their pool of misery...I would take that as a postive. After all, when abandoning ship, women and children first, please...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-0-50518300-1347324206_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Give me anything to look forward to for this season?

Even being 2-1 isn't exciting because we know the Pats are going to crush us?

D was terrible with no coverage and pressure

Fitz is as bad as I've ever seen

And who knows what's up with Freddy.

Go ahead, I would love to hear this...

OK, as you know, I'm Hopeful. So I'm honor-bound to rise to your challenge.

It sucks to watch our beloved Bills be humiliated on opening day. Humiliated, humbled, undressed, and degraded.

I am hopeful that it will prove a blessing in disguise.

You see, if we merely lost a close game, we would still have the L on our record, but Chix and Nailey could cling to the belief that nothing major was wrong. Defensive coordinators around the league haven't solved us. Our wide receivers are on the same page with Fitz. Fitz's judgement has improved. Our pass-rush and pressure woes are solved. Our secondary is young and talented.

After this Sunday's debacle, no one could possibly cling to these beliefs. Thus, one of two things are true: either we fundamentally have the talent, and our coaches have gotten the wake-up call to make whatever changes are needed to the play-calling and schemes and to get in the player's grills where they didn't execute.

Or we fundamentally don't have the talent (including in the coaching staff) and we can draft Matt Barkley next year.

How did I do?