We Model our Defense after the Giants?? This could be a long year.

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

so because a different team had a less than stellar game we are in for a long year? are you just looking for an excuse to be a pessimist? that defense has killed romo. repeatedly.

You're probably right, maybe we should scrap the plan and just go back to the days of Mike Malarkey and Dick Jauron.

Then again, maybe the Giants defenses was tired this game, they spent the entire offseason carrying around THE !@#$ING LOMBARDI TROPHY!

Seriously dude, you need to think this stuff out better before you post.

Wow, talk about ganging up on the OP.

I think he brings up valid points, and we saw the concerns with this defense with the plays that Skins & Vikings ran in preseason. There was nothing in the OP that suggests that the plan to model our D after the Gints is wrong. He correctly points out that our LBs & safeties better be ready, because the midfield is a serious concern for our defense and is the weakest link right now.

so because a different team had a less than stellar game we are in for a long year? are you just looking for an excuse to be a pessimist? that defense has killed romo. repeatedly.

I'm no pessimist....just a season ticket holder that is looking forward to a great defensive line and, from what I've seen in preseason, a midlevel linebacking crew and CB's who are either untested (Gilmore), inconsistent (Williams, McKelvin) or injury prone (McGee). How many times I've seen those quick slant routes and screens turn into 10 yd gains because of poor tackling or overpursuit. Just sayin that you can have the best pass rush in the game, but if a QB is gonna take a 3 step drop and dump it off on a screen or a 5-10 yd hot route, we'll be watching the chains move. Don't get me wrong, I love our team and love the acquisitions we made...but head coaches (Rex, Bellicheat, Harbaugh, etc) are going to implement the Cowgirls game plan against us to address a pass rush like ours...just want our LB's and CB's to be ready (I'm sure they are)

I think he brings up valid points, and we saw the concerns with this defense with the plays that Skins & Vikings ran in preseason. There was nothing in the OP that suggests that the plan to model our D after the Gints is wrong. He correctly points out that our LBs & safeties better be ready, because the midfield is a serious concern for our defense and is the weakest link right now.

You said it better than me...in less words. Thanks

Love the Bills, want them to win every game...just don't want media to come out with headlines "100 Million Dollar Line can't stop Jets Offense"

yes, our linebackers and secondary will have to play well. thats true of any defense. if we are missing tackles, they will get big gains too. none of that is real insight, and the basis of "this could be a long year" implied it could be a poor choice to run the giants defense.

when there is a scheme that is without weakness, im sure we will hop on it, but as it stands - having a front 4 that can get after the qb is about as close to that as you are getting.

quick passes against a strong pass rush just isnt some special insight that bellichek will suddenly realize after last night. its beat him twice in the SB, and that same D beat romo twice last year.

ive said it many a time - not all my posts are winners in hindsight - and neither was this thread.

Edited by NoSaint

I rarely ever post anything on here but this post is just too ridiculous.... Do you recall the Giants winning the superbowl last year? Based on two big pass plays where a 5th string CB blew coverage you come up with a question on whether it is a good idea to model our defense after one that has successfully beat the ass of the team that wins our division every year??

Edited by coastalpika

What valid points? The Giants' DB's are an injury disaster. I don't think anyone is suggesting we break all our CB's to match them.

There's a reason the Giants went 9-7 last year.

They had good, sustained pressure on Romo most of the night. Gotta give credit to Romo for getting out of it, moving around, extending plays, and making something happen.

While there are similarities in the fronts, there are more differences in the schemes than meet the eye most of the time. I'm not ready to say that Wanny has copied the Giants' defense. Not by a long shot. Pressuring the QB with a dominant D line is nothing new and every team in the league seeks to copy that aspect of a successful defense.

GO BILLS!!!