Jets working out Derek Haggan

Tom stahl

If you don't think a player who knows game-planning details can provide a competitive advantage to another team, why does the NFL prohibit a team from signing a player off their next opponent's practice squad during the week before the game?

http://www.ehow.com/...es-waivers.html

Because NFLPA would fight it tooth and nail no matter what the reason especially week 1 where many players could committed by team to pay and then if the player is cut gets paid full amount - their favorite payment!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think a player who knows game-planning details can provide a competitive advantage to another team, why does the NFL prohibit a team from signing a player off their next opponent's practice squad during the week before the game?

http://www.ehow.com/...es-waivers.html

In this situation and with this particular player, Derek Hagan, IMO is a scrub. Loveable or not, he's gone. He is Not NFL quality.

Derek Hagan contributed zero to a 6-10 team, if there is an advantage to him knowing anything of value, and for the jets to gameplan around is just not happening. He is a fringe player.

But, Jerry Rice in his first year with the Raiders after being with the 49ers for over a decade, probably could have some serious insights for a new team and coach.

I will sleep easy because if Hagan is signed, and plays against the Bills it will be to the Bills advantage. Not the jets.

All practice squad players are "fringe players" by definition, so if a "fringe player" (to use your term) can't provide any sort of competitive advantage to a new team, why do NFL rules prohibit a team from signing a player off their next opponent's practice squad during the week before the game?

The potential advantage to the Jets here is Hagan's knowledge, not his journeyman talent.

Well looks like they know they can't beat us straight up so there fishing for our game plan lol...

Yup, although I'm sure (or at least hope) the Bills thought of this possibility long ago. I doubt Hagan has a ton of info to even give them, he was almost certainly not involved in much if any Jets game planning.

Also, keep in mind the Jets are very weak at WR. In this case they could really be looking at him to fill a need.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Honestly? Laughable!

I disagree that this notion is laughable. Why would the Patriots* (and other teams) take such a risk with Spygate just to figure out other teams signals, if there wasn't some kind of advantage to be gleaned from advance knowledge. If you truly believe Hagan had no knowledge of our game plan or signals and tendencies on offense because he is a marginal player I would say you likely incorrect. I am not saying he sat with Chan at diner and drew up a secret play on a napkin, but he could potentially have some information that the opposing coach would find useful.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

This is why preseason games are not a big deal.

Teams don't load up the corporate knowledge during training camp because they know players will be leaving.

If you are a cut player, you aren't an instantous strategic intelligence asset for another team. The good stuff is being installed this week.

And for guys like Gailey who show absolutely nothing until the games count, I have to think that the schemes and packages are nearly state secrets in Bills camp between the coaches and starters.

Anybody know when the Bills began closing some of their practices to the media? I suspect that the "best" stuff gets installed after final cutdown day, but if Hagan particpated in any practices that were closed to the media, I would think he has at least some non-public information about the Bills' offensive plans. Otherwise, why close those practices to the public?

Besides, NE has dominated the AFC East for a long time, and the Phish are going to be starting a rookie QB this season. So Chan has to figure that the games against the Jets are key to making the playoffs this year. He has a lot of incentive to be extra prepared for this season opener, and I don't know if he would want to rely solely on this week to install everything needed for the Jets game.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure Hagan knows plenty about the playbook and potential for gameplans against certain teams. But..... This is the first game of the season, and just because Chan and the Bills have been practicing certain plays all offseason doesn't mean that's our gameplan for the Jets. My guess is they would take this game no different than any other in the season. 1 week go prepare (gameplan wise) for the Jets. That's 1 week to install way plays you open up with, plan to pop out in the game, decide if your going to pass or run more, etc, etc, etc... I do think Hagan has a knowledge of what we COULD do against the Jets but chances are he has no idea what we will do against them. We probably didn't even start practicing it on the field until we got our PS signed. That's what the PS is there for. Practice.

Lawyer was different on all fronts. Not only was he a long standing veteran of the team, he was cut 4 days before the opener, not 1 1/2 weeks like hagan. He was likely in on some of the gameplan talks and how they will open against the Bills. Either way, it didn't matter because we planned on keeping him long term anyway. If anything, it was just a bonus.

Gosh, it's good the Bills would never do something like this, like signing Lawyer Milloy the year we played the Pats in the season opener, just 4 days before the game.

GOSH, the difference is we intended to start Milloy and he was a great player then. I doubt Hagan even makes their roster. 2 completely different scenerios.

:wallbash::thumbdown:

Edited by DreReed83

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

1 -- Unless Hagan receives a guaranteed contract from the Jets, he'd be pretty foolish to undermine the Bills since he is likely on their short list for injury callbacks.

2 -- While the coaching staff has been preparing a gameplan for the Jets for months, I don't believe they begin practicing and revealing it to the players until after final cuts.

In other words, Hagan knows the plays the Bills run and their terminology, but that's not exactly a deep dark secret.

I doubt the Bills are worried about this.

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

1 -- Unless Hagan receives a guaranteed contract from the Jets, he'd be pretty foolish to undermine the Bills since he is likely on their short list for injury callbacks.

2 -- While the coaching staff has been preparing a gameplan for the Jets for months, I don't believe they begin practicing and revealing it to the players until after final cuts.

In other words, Hagan knows the plays the Bills run and their terminology, but that's not exactly a deep dark secret.

I doubt the Bills are worried about this.

Exactly my thoughts.