A. Williams / McKelvin

bmur66

Williams got toasted pretty bad again last night.I wonder if he is related to JD? It's scary going into the season with him starting. On the other hand What Happened to McLovin? This guy is playing phenominal! It looks like the lights finally came on for him. I hope he keeps it up.

Edited by bmur66

I'm starting to agree with this assessment. Williams has great attributes, much like McKelvin, but also like mckelvin, doesn't seem to have good "football awareness". I guess the only way for him to improve his awareness at this point, is to play more. But what price do the Bills pay for his education? I could be a couple wins and maybe a playoff spot. If they are serious about the playoffs THIS year, I think Mckelvin sould be out there when we only have 2 CBs on the field. If not mckelvin, I think even Brooks is a better option. Williams just doesn't seem to get it yet. This situation could prove to be the most important decision Chan makes this season. If Williams is the choice, I get it....and I pray he gets it too. If he doesn't, the playoffs could be a long shot with him being picked on all day.

You guys, "scary?" No "football awareness?" Aaron Williams got smoked..on one play...by Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson is indisputably the best wide receiver in the NFL, he has freakish physical attributes, and we had reserves on the D-Line who were still able to generate pressure and almost get a sack. The throw and catch was a play those two make--at most--4 times out of ten.

I'm not saying when it's live football Aaron Williams WILL be just fine, but to make up your mind about the guy based on one play (the first team defense dominated on all but two plays (but those were enough for the Lions to poke one through)) then I guess you're setting yourself up to be pleasantly surprised come the RS.

Williams looked terrible in pre-season as a Rookie, and not much better when the regular season started...He did however come on late last season and played really well...In fact, it could be argued that Williams was The Bills best Defender at the end of the 2011 season...He may just be a guy who needs to get warmed up a bit...I'm going to hold off on any type of judgement at least until I see him in a few regular season games...He's got a ton of potential... B-)

Aaron Williams is a cheaper Florence. I see the former getting burned as much as the latter. It's not an assessment of one play (though i don't know that Calvin did anything Megatronish on that play... he just made a break and Williams got lost). Williams had a rep in college of getting thrown on a lot too, and in 4 preseason games hasn't really looked that good or made plays in any of them. If you pick a weak spot on the D, you'd have to say it's him.

Aaron Williams is a cheaper Florence. I see the former getting burned as much as the latter. It's not an assessment of one play (though i don't know that Calvin did anything Megatronish on that play... he just made a break and Williams got lost). Williams had a rep in college of getting thrown on a lot too, and in 4 preseason games hasn't really looked that good or made plays in any of them. If you pick a weak spot on the D, you'd have to say it's him.

What was Megatronish about that play? When a man--6'5" 240--turns on his burners and leaps in the endzone for a touchdown grab, there's not much any human can really do about it...

Williams got toasted pretty bad again last night.I wonder if he is related to JD? It's scary going into the season with him starting. On the other hand What Happened to McLovin? This guy is playing phenominal! It looks like the lights finally came on for him. I hope he keeps it up.

McLovin was Big Time last night, no doubt.

I thought well of Rogers when he played last year, but speaking of toasted - last night he came out extra-crisp on a sesame seed bun

its one of those things - you wont be elite everywhere.

the #2 or #3 corner will always be getting beat sometimes. especially by the best receiver in the league. if they are not, then you are in a great spot.

when it comes down to it though, the other team is paid to make plays too, and even the best secondary is going to give up catches. they have to come on somebody. no qb is tossing an 0-22 night. it happens. especially in the preseason when you have weird personnel packages paired up.

Edited by NoSaint

The reality is that we need Williams (and, for that matter, Sheppard) to step up and play well this year. Both are starters and play positions that can be easily exposed if they are not up to it. McKelvin may be a better choice as starting CB this year, but based on his past performance and given that he will be a free agent after this season, it does make some sense to see if Williams is the answer as a starter, as long as it does not hurt the defense significantly.

McLovin is playing the nickel and is in his contract year. Actually, the nickel might be the best DB position for him because it pretty much covers up his weaknesses and allows him to play to his strengths.

Williams was beat on one play by perhaps the best wide receiver in football who had to extend his 6'5" height and make a good catch. I cannot think of any CB in the league who would have leapt high in the air to bat the ball away. Williams did not have a rookie camp last year ... he did not have OTA's ... he was injured early but by the end of the season he was showing that he can be a good DB in this league. During this preseason he has not looked great but our vaunted defensive line has not exactly knocked the socks off of every quarterback they have faced. It's clear that there has been some experimenting going on with the first team schemes (Don't want to say that this is the reason that Williams hasn't looked like Pro Bowl material but it might have impacted our perceptions from in front of the TV set.).

There is no doubt that when you put two youngsters as your starting DB's they will get burnt but then again I look at the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011 when they allegedly had 3 of the best DB's in the league. I seem to recall them getting beat too.

Williams is light years ahead of Florence and with playing time I believe the Gilmore Williams tandem will be one of the better two-some's in the league. Plus have to like Rogers, Brooks and even though he will be off to another team next year McKelvin.

You guys, "scary?" No "football awareness?" Aaron Williams got smoked..on one play...by Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson is indisputably the best wide receiver in the NFL, he has freakish physical attributes, and we had reserves on the D-Line who were still able to generate pressure and almost get a sack. The throw and catch was a play those two make--at most--4 times out of ten.

I'm not saying when it's live football Aaron Williams WILL be just fine, but to make up your mind about the guy based on one play (the first team defense dominated on all but two plays (but those were enough for the Lions to poke one through)) then I guess you're setting yourself up to be pleasantly surprised come the RS.

I did not watch the game last night but I was at the Pittsburgh game & I thought Williams looked horrible. It seemed like Big ben was not even looking at Gilmore's side of the field. This is a problem. I never thought I would say this but I think I would rather have Mcdipshit starting opposite Gilmore.