Not a Debbie Downer but...

McD

You guys have to be careful with your posts. If you're not 100% on board with the team or in agreement with the Kool-aid drinkers you will be criticized or even banned. They're watching you!

p.s. I'm still not sold on this year, but will happily eat crow later.

You guys have to be careful with your posts. If you're not 100% on board with the team or in agreement with the Kool-aid drinkers you will be criticized or even banned. They're watching you!

p.s. I'm still not sold on this year, but will happily eat crow later.

If you live within the TOS you can say whatever you want, positive, negative even neutral. But if you resort to name calling you will be given a timeout.

Hopefully every other person that has posted something similar is reading this, so I can say once and for all, that these ridiculous posts are almost infuriating! When will you people (negative nancies & debbie downers) wake the *F up and realize that Pre Season means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! FFS!!

You are right that the game results of the preseason games mean nothing. But how they play, particularly the starters, does mean something. Just ask Vince Young or anyone else cut around the league if preseason is completely meaningless.

You people who keep touting the preseason is completely meaningless are grossly oversimplifying things.

With the Whole no game plan, run base pro set offense and defense every down that most teams run in preseason, unless your team runs those sets by default, really doesn't show how you team can run the packages they are actually installing for real games. Unless you have a coach that is trying to win preseason games, and is willing to use their real offensive plays, most teams looks nothing like their going to look on offense or defense once the season starts. That is probably why see people that looked so good in preseason games cut so often, or not pan out once regular season starts as well.

That being said, if both teams play vanilla, allows for one on one matchups and better evaluation sometimes of individual players, as they cant be hidden by the system as easy, as long as both teams stay vanilla. So losing badly does help show talent level of individuals, just doesn't allow for practiced executions or plays to necessarily show through, or teams to take advantages of their strengths or other teams weaknesses by game planning.

Basically saying its good for player evaluation, bad for team evaluation, so tough to judge how a team is going to do by how they do in preseason.

Edited by rstencel

You are right that the game results of the preseason games mean nothing. But how they play, particularly the starters, does mean something. Just ask Vince Young or anyone else cut around the league if preseason is completely meaningless.

You people who keep touting the preseason is completely meaningless are grossly oversimplifying things.

I respectfully disagree.

How the starters play during the pre-season has zero meaning on how they play in week 1. They could play really well tonight and stink up New Jersey in week 1, or they could play poorly tonight and score 35 points in week 1.

One has absolutely no bearing on the other...none. It only affects your opinion.

To me pre season is not completely meaningless.....you need to be able to work on stuff in game situations....get cohesion on your lines......get in football shape etc etc etc

But as far as trying to game plan against a opponents strengths and weaknesses? As far as "running when its working"......as far as "throwing to a reciever thats hot"......I dont think the coaches care about ANY of that.......

The win is coming out unhurt

I still like preseason. But not as much as I used to. For whatever reason, the preseason used to be better for me. Maybe its the new "no hit on tuesday" rules. I dont know. Or everyone over-avoiding (dont know if these two words go together) injuries.

If this continues next year, I may just skip it. Yeah right.......

Twenty seven

Just saw another one.

Make it 28

What if I ask Tom Brady?

Unfortunately, I think your right. I was higher than I've ever been about this team after the Mario and Mark signings, the draft, and signings of star players that could have left. I just don't see it coming into play. The biggest reason why I think we will be upset this year is due to Chan Gaileys stubborness to not run the ball and be extremely pass happy. I originally thought 9-7 with the possibility to be 11-5 but with the lack of talent at certain positions, mostly LB, WR and Gaileys unreal faith in Fitz and hatred towards his RBs late in games I think 8-8 is the best were going to do and Chan gets fired. We will probably see Wanny take the job in the offseason. It really kills me to say all this. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just giving my honest realistic opinion. The great thing, IMO is that Chan holds the key to victory. If he puts his pass happy ego aside and runs the ball like we should be doing, we could be right up to that 10-11 win mark we all want and think we can achieve.

Please prove me wrong Chan!!!!!

Until we make the playoffs. My assessment is sound, what have they shown you this preseason? Homer it up all you want, but I expect more from this team. Until they play/win consistently, why shouldn't we look for areas of improvement? Fair enough?

Yes, you misunderstand. Nowhere did I ever say it was "superior" to anyone. Holy Bucky Gleason Batman...!

I guess the "superior" implication comes with this: we had at least a middle-of-the-pack offense last year (14th) even with all the injuries. At the beginning of the year, our offense was lighting it up. Why is your assessment sound that they won't be able to return to that form? It's not like they looked great in preseason last year and then came out and sucked. Share your reasons for feeling this year will be inferior to last year on offense - with the exception of Bell, isn't the personnel about the same? Otherwise aren't you just saying, hey I know football so believe me, I know more than the coaches and everyone else on the board? Not meaning to be snarky, but that's how it comes across.

Of course my assessment that we ought to do at least as well as last year (first half) offensively is based upon the idea we'll get Wood and Pears back. If we're starting Urbik at center, Rhinehart at RG, and two rookies at tackle, we have a very different offensive line (which, BTW, is the OL we have had through most of the pre-season) and what we'll get remains to be seen. My question about the offense for this year is very simple: "Got Wood?" Wood really does seem to make everyone better.

Personally I think Fitzpatrick is the sort of QB who just doesn't look good in shorts or preseason, and somehow finds an extra gear when it's for-real, and that's why we wound up with Trentative starting 2 years ago. The regular season will easily tell who is sound and who is not so we'll know very soon now.

I agree about the poor LB play to date and that LB, especially MLB, may be a weak spot. I do think there's merit to the notion that in a 4-3, it's the DLs job to keep the OL off the LB, and it's been noted that in the 1st 2 games, the DL seemed to be playing at 50%. So to me the root question is will our vaunted DL turn it up to 100% and keep it up to 100% and play together when the season starts? If they do, I think our LB will be servicable. If they don't, I think we'll see big plays escaping at inopportune moments all season. I also think that Dareus and Mario Williams get a lot of noise in the press, but the real key to our DL is Kyle "Freakin' " Williams.

I think different opinions are welcome here especially if they have some basis, but just saying "holy cow, we suck and I know football so my assessment is sound!" (I'm paraphrasing, but pretty much the gist as it came across to me) has gotten very repetitive.

Edited by Hopeful

I guess the "superior" implication comes with this: we had at least a middle-of-the-pack offense last year (14th) even with all the injuries. At the beginning of the year, our offense was lighting it up. Why is your assessment sound that they won't be able to return to that form? It's not like they looked great in preseason last year and then came out and sucked. Share your reasons for feeling this year will be inferior to last year on offense - with the exception of Bell, isn't the personnel about the same? Otherwise aren't you just saying, hey I know football so believe me, I know more than the coaches and everyone else on the board? Not meaning to be snarky, but that's how it comes across.

Of course my assessment that we ought to do at least as well as last year (first half) offensively is based upon the idea we'll get Wood and Pears back. If we're starting Urbik at center, Rhinehart at RG, and two rookies at tackle, we have a very different offensive line (which, BTW, is the OL we have had through most of the pre-season) and what we'll get remains to be seen. My question about the offense for this year is very simple: "Got Wood?" Wood really does seem to make everyone better.

Personally I think Fitzpatrick is the sort of QB who just doesn't look good in shorts or preseason, and somehow finds an extra gear when it's for-real, and that's why we wound up with Trentative starting 2 years ago. The regular season will easily tell who is sound and who is not so we'll know very soon now.

I agree about the poor LB play to date and that LB, especially MLB, may be a weak spot. I do think there's merit to the notion that in a 4-3, it's the DLs job to keep the OL off the LB, and it's been noted that in the 1st 2 games, the DL seemed to be playing at 50%. So to me the root question is will our vaunted DL turn it up to 100% and keep it up to 100% and play together when the season starts? If they do, I think our LB will be servicable. If they don't, I think we'll see big plays escaping at inopportune moments all season. I also think that Dareus and Mario Williams get a lot of noise in the press, but the real key to our DL is Kyle "Freakin' " Williams.

I think different opinions are welcome here especially if they have some basis, but just saying "holy cow, we suck and I know football so my assessment is sound!" (I'm paraphrasing, but pretty much the gist as it came across to me) has gotten very repetitive.

There is 1 big difference between last year and this year. Last year there was a lockout and this year there wasn't. Early in the season last year, I recall many talking heads exclaiming about how scoring across the league had really jumped, but some of the better analysts were cautioning not to draw too many conclusions before defenses across the league got their legs underneath themselves. As the season wore on, this warning showed prophetic as overall scoring went up by about one half of a percent from 2010 to 2011.

PS: I'm not sure Fitzpatrick ever "looks good". Maybe it is a shaggy beard. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

... After seeing the preseason, I'm not as excited for this season as I was a month ago. I'm hoping that the "Chan Gang" can work out some kinks and cover their weak spots, but until I see it I'm not convinced. I was thinking a 9 or 10 win season was doable, but now I'm thinking 7 or 8 is more realistic. We still need another WR threat and better QB and LB play. I'm just not thinking that it will automatically appear week 1.

Any thoughts to the possibility that we get things straightened out before the "Jest" game?

McD

After watching that debacle, I'm guessing no kinks were worked out. QB play was worse than anticipated, WR's did nothing, LB's... eh. What's worse is Freddie going down and the D-Line doing NOTHING to pressure Sanchez (short drop/quick release or not). Now we have the Chiefs who will remember the whoopin' we put on them last year... can we make the necessary adjustments?

After watching that debacle, I'm guessing no kinks were worked out. QB play was worse than anticipated, WR's did nothing, LB's... eh. What's worse is Freddie going down and the D-Line doing NOTHING to pressure Sanchez (short drop/quick release or not). Now we have the Chiefs who will remember the whoopin' we put on them last year... can we make the necessary adjustments?

The first adjustment is Wannstache needs to adjust his jock strap....("the pouch goes in the front Dave").

I actually feel confident that we will have a better showing against KC...God knows it can't go much worse for us than the Jets game.