What if Thigpen Looks Great Thursday?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith is the #3 because teams get to dress an emergency QB who doesn't count against your game day total. So you want someone in that spot who will see the field even if (as is likely) both #1 and #2 don't get hurt. Smith can contribute in other ways. It's like having an extra player for free as long as you can legitmately label him a QB.

It's true. Having a guy that can take a knee in the endzone on kickoffs is invaluable. B-)

I know it's unlikely, but let's say with his back to the wall, Thigpen comes out and really lights it up. Looks like the 2nd coming of Montana. Clearly provides Bills with the best QB performance we've seen not only in the preseason, but in several years.

Jackson's on a renogiated contract so I reckon he's safe.

Does Gailey go against his promise to keep Smith #3 on the depth chart?

If not, what about Fitz?

What if VY looked great against the Steelers, then came in for Fitz sometime in the regular season and looked abosultely awful?

He's in a no-win situation. If he plays lights-out, it just proves he's completely inconsistent. If he doesn't, he's consistent, but at sucking. So he's gone either way.

I hope he plays lights-out just so that the coaching staff can get accurate looks at the rest of the team that actually have a legitimate shot at making the roster.

But you forget! Smith is multidimensional. He can run the wildcat, play wideout AND take a knee on kickoffs.

and he doesn't do any of the above very well. With Buffalo he has actually played receiver better then any of the other positions you mention and that wasnt that great, and there is a logjam of mediocre talent at that position already.

I think Chan's mind is already made up and nothing TT does against Detroit will convince Chan to move TT up the depth chart. One good night doesn't much alter two years of mediocrity. I think this is how Chan sees things...

Fitz is the starter because he's the best we have.

TJack is the #2 because he's better than TT.

Brad Smith is the #3 because teams get to dress an emergency QB who doesn't count against your game day total. So you want someone in that spot who will see the field even if (as is likely) both #1 and #2 don't get hurt. Smith can contribute in other ways. It's like having an extra player for free as long as you can legitmately label him a QB.

So where does that leave Thigpen?

Option 1: Keep him as the temporary #2 until T Jack learns the offense well enough to perform that role.

Option 2: Cut TT now confident that no one will sign him - he'll still be available if Fitz gets injured early in the season.

Option 3: Keep him on the roster because - god forbid - Fitz or TJack get hurt tonight.

Actually the biggest change before last season was if the #3 came in the game, the #1 and #2 QBs couldn't reenter. That rule is obsolete now.

If Thigpen looks great tonight, it'll be nice for him to have something positive on tape for his next team to see.

He's gone.

GO BILLS!!!

This- its either he tries but sux, or he sux b/c he's not trying enough.

If he tries harder and thus looks better now that a much more viable back up is threatening, well then he should be cut for lack Of effort. T Jax will be an ideal back up anyway.