McGee suffers setback

papazoid

I've been lambasted for this opinion before, but I've been steadfast in it: McGee needs to go.

He needed to go 3 years ago, when the Nix-less front office signed him to a $7M/year deal and let Jabari Greer--a better player--leave in FA for $5.5M/year.

McGee's a good person, and he was a great kick returner, but his coverage ability was severely over-rated for a long time, and the skills he did have in that department have eroded.

Best of luck to the guy, but he's done.

I was really pissed when we let Jabari sign elsewhere...he was a great locker room guy and he was truly coming into his own as a solid CB.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they cut McGee then the combined NFL experience of our CBs (excluding Leodis) is less than 2 years total. S. Gilmore, A. Williams, J. Rogers and R. Brooks.

McKelvin has looked terrific so far throughout the summer, but if he's the veteran of the group...

It's a scary proposition.

That is scary. Maybe Gilmore is an exceptional rookie and ready for prime time. But I'm not sure how confident I am in any of the others. I'm really not sure how confident I am in Gilmore. A healthy McGee would be great for this squad.

When asked if the setback could put McGee’s roster spot in jeopardy come final cuts on Friday, Gailey indicated that would not be the case.

“I don’t see that right now,” said Gailey. “No, I don’t see that.”

Edited by hondo in seattle

He's not healthy, has not been healthy in a couple of years. He was torched against Pittsburgh. How much longer can they wait for a soon to be 32 year old with a bad knee? He's not healthy, he can't contribute, time to say goodbye. That's the reality of the NFL.

For real? I highly doubt that. His first snap in months and he gets beat by a perfect deep throw. I can't see the coaches putting much stock in that.

I agree. It may very well be on that play he outperformed and almost covred for the safety (Searcy, I think) who wasn't close enough to make a play on the ball. That wasn't bad coverage for a CB, especially one still coming back from injury.

While I acknowledge this may be the end of the road for McGee, I dispute that he had lost a step or was not good in coverage except because of injury. If he's let go, I think it's only because of his inability to get (and stay) healthy fast enough.

Check out the highlights from game 6 against the Giants last year. I'd love to have that McGee back on the roster. Note: the long pass breakup he has in the endzone is very very similar to the TD score this last PS game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011101600/2011/REG6/bills@giants#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Check out the 1:20 mark and the TD breakup at 2:15

It is time for the Bills to move on from him. Great career but cut short these past few seasons due to injury. He is finished.. they waited as long as possible throughout camp and the preseason for him to get healthy but it didn't happen.

Actually it is. http://en.wikipedia....able_to_performMcGee has not been full go all training camp

that wikipedia entry is incorrect. once a player opens training camp, a team is not allowed to place him on the physically unable to perform list.

for example, Mike Caussin opened camp on Active/PUP, which would've put him in a position to be activated at any time. He was then transferred to Reserve/PUP, which allows the Bills to not have to count his roster spot, but prevents Caussin from participating in practice until Week 6.

it's no different than what happened with Willis McGahee in his rookie season with the Bills. and this is why Torell Troup was not PUP eligible, because he opened training camp un-PUPed and on the 90-player roster.

jw

and let me clarify: the wording of the first sentence in the Wikipedia entry is misleading in reference to "preseason." the other entries in regards to the active and reserve PUP lists are accurate.

also: i don't believe McGee's setback is serious. and i do get a sense that he will make the 53-player roster once final cuts are made on Friday.

Edited by john wawrow

I figured this had something to do with the 3rd degree burn he suffered this past Saturday.

Nice. He's the only decent CB we've had in several years. You pick one play he got beat on. Get ready for a lot more burns this season without him.

I'm thinking more the PUP where Bills retain rights til week 6 and then see how he is. Saves a roster spot til then, only problem is they'd have to figure out who to cut to bring him back to the roster, but it buys McGee time to heal up.

Like this idea if possible. I think some veteran leadership at the CB position is greatly needed with the 2 young starters

Terrific is a strong word, but yes McKelvin has played well this preseason. Why? Because playing nickle allows him to make plays IN FRONT of him. On deep plays he simply has no instincts, and is clueless as to how to defend the ball. However he is very athletic and quick, and when the ball is in front of him, he can see and read the action, and make some very nice plays.

IMO, it's clear he cannot be a good starting QB in this league based on his lack of ball awareness over top. However I've always thought he could succeed at nickle, because he's proven he can play well when the play is in front of him.

I think that has always been clear to everyone, seeing as how he has never been asked to play QB in his career and be on the opposite side of the LOS trying to intercept other QBs :nana:

Maybe it would have been better to let McGee go and kept Florence around for the veteran experience?

But if they relase McGee, that will leave a sizeable chunk more cap space we can roll over into next year, with Byrd, Levitre, Urbik, et al, needing new contracts.

With Merriman being released (And Florence earlier in the off-season, and T.Thigpen too) they could likely resign Levitre and Byrd without and major issues. They then could release Brad Smith or someone else making too much and handle Urbik and whoever else with the remaining cap space.

I've been lambasted for this opinion before, but I've been steadfast in it: McGee needs to go.

He needed to go 3 years ago, when the Nix-less front office signed him to a $7M/year deal and let Jabari Greer--a better player--leave in FA for $5.5M/year.

McGee's a good person, and he was a great kick returner, but his coverage ability was severely over-rated for a long time, and the skills he did have in that department have eroded.

Best of luck to the guy, but he's done.

Greer better than McGee??????? What are you smoking>