Chris Cooley available

We should sign just so the Jets can't and to actually have a decent receiving threat would be nice also.

The Washington Redskins released tight end Chris Cooley Tuesday, announcing after Tuesday’s practice that the nine-year veteran and one of the most popular and recognizable players on the team is being given the chance to find a starting job elsewhere.

Cooley said he believes he still can be a productive NFL player but it would be difficult for him to play for another team.

“I’ll take some time and make sure what I do in the future is exactly what I want to do,” Cooley said.

“It’s been awesome,” he added.

Cooley said he leaves with no hard feelings toward the organization.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said: “We know how much Chris has meant to this organization and this community.”

Cooley wants to be a starter, Shanahan said, and the coach told him that Fred Davis is the Redskins’ starter. The team is giving Cooley an opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere, Shanahan said.

“I think he’s earned that right,” Shanahan said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-chris-cooley/2012/08/28/768232e0-f138-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is being given the chance to find a starting job elsewhere.

Cooley wants to be a starter, Shanahan said, and the coach told him that Fred Davis is the Redskins’ starter. The team is giving Cooley an opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere, Shanahan said.

“I think he’s earned that right,” Shanahan said.

http://www.washingto...ff430_blog.html

Sounds lilke what Reid said when he cut VY

The full story here in Washington doesn't quite connect. Shanny says Cooley wanted to be the starter, so he cut him when they decided Fred Davis was the starter. Cooley has said a few times in the media that he is prepared to play whatever role the Redskins needed of him. The Skins did not offer a renegotiated contract. Cooley has been hurt for a couple years now.

I normally say no to these, but I'd be curious. How's he been lately?

I agree. I don't think he's done much since 2010 due to injury but...he had 849 yards that year and 3 touchdowns...with McNabb and Grossman throwing the ball.

I think Chris Cooley is a good player, injuries have plagued him the past couple of years. He would definitely be a nice pick up but he's very similar in style to Dorin Dickerson.

If they're trying in vain to create a spot for a guy like Dickerson then Cooley certainly makes a lot of sense. I never go for those "I've heard of him" proclamations when players become available but this is a guy that may actually be a good fit.

Then again, the role Gailey envisions for Dickerson may be too small for Cooley to consider.

Edited by Punch

Not for nothing, but if Scott Chandler can find a long term home with this team I dont see why Chris Cooley couldnt. I would love having those two guys on the field for certain sets. Chan is an offensive genius in my opinion, and he gets a ton out of very little talent. However, while that is happening I think they need to shop for that talent as well.

Not for nothing, but if Scott Chandler can find a long term home with this team I dont see why Chris Cooley couldnt. I would love having those two guys on the field for certain sets. Chan is an offensive genius in my opinion, and he gets a ton out of very little talent. However, while that is happening I think they need to shop for that talent as well.

Yea Gailey's 10-22 record kind of proves his genius.

I don't see why not... as someone just said I usually diabolically oppose of this idea, especially when it's about some washed up QB, but the team could use some depth and talent at the TE position. If he's not 100% yet from an injury, this would be the ideal place for him to get healthy, as long as chandler stays fit.

Well, we really have to ask the question of "who do we have after Chandler"? Considering how thin we are on receiving options, and Fitz's generally preferred range being short having a TE would be a nice addition.

But of course...RALPH IS CHEAP, FITZ CAN'T THROW, NO WAY WE'LL GET HIM!

Chris Cooley has certainly regressed over the years and he is now 30 years old. I don't know how much this guy has left, so much would depend on his physical and most importantly his mental state. Always an engaging interview Cooley seems to be a leader on and off the field.