Did the Bills really reach for T.J. Graham?

To say the Bills had a huge need to draft a QB, I'd agree only if you are either going to start him or make him your #3 guy. The backup QB gets what somewhere between 10% to 30% snaps each week in practice. So how is a guy who doesn't even get to practice much become a good backup if Fitz were to go down. It's good to use him as a #3 and give him time to develop, but considering the Bills have Brad Smith that isn't going to happen. He's too good to cut him and hope to sign him to PS so you're only choice if you picked him was to make him your #2. Too me doesn't sound like a very good strategy to have a rookie who's not even getting many practice snaps to be #2. Seattle is starting him, does that mean he's looked real good, or did the other two guys look worse. Actually I don't think Jackson even came into play he wasn't going to start, the plan back in the spring was Flynn was the starter, but then he didn't look good so they going with Wilson now.

I think the one thing you could criticize the Bills for is having Brad Smith on the roster as that limits your other QB moves you can do. If there #3 QB was say T Jackson, then you take a flyer on a guy like Wilson as your #2. Fitz goes down, by rule you need to bring in your #2 until the 4th quarter. But doesn't mean the following week you can make your #3 guy the starter and again leave a rookie as #2. Maybe only teams with very strong #1 QB's can afford a guy like Smith as your #3. Kind of like the mess the Jet's could be in if Sanchez goes down.

Certainly if Fitz has a middle of the road or worse year likely the Bills will be looking for a new QB likely either through the draft or a free agent. And quite frankly whoever they may get, the odds are better than 50/50 he will also fail. That's nothing against Buffalo's front office it's just reality, more often than not, QB's fail.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russell Wilson love-fest on this board over the past 3 days is a new low. So because Matt Flynn crapped the bed during the pre-season, Wilson is suddenly the most brilliant 3d round pick since Joe Montana.

We're mostly Bills fans here - I sure am, and I really like Buddy Nix. I think Nix is the best GM the Bills have had since Polian. However, I am frustrated by the Bills inability to resolve the QB position - NOT NECESSARILY BY GOING TO EXTREMES (although extremes would've been called for) BUT BY PASSING ON GUYS THAT GO THROUGH THEIR HANDS! It's not like the Bills have a proven starting QB! So, yeah, it is called for when they don't risk a 3rd round pick on a guy with potential, only to months later trade for one of the guys he supplants. That shouldn't happen!

The problem is, by the begining of the third round, no team in the league needed a quarterback as badly as the Bills did. It is inexcusable that, despite this, Buddy and Co. did not even consider taking a quarterback in the 2012 draft.

A lot has been written about the Bills short passing game and how opponents figured it out in the 2nd half of the season. With Lee Evans gone and Easley hurt, we didn't have anyone to stretch the field last season. I think Nix considered a speedy wideout a bigger priority than QB.

I don't remember the stats anymore but most QBs picked in the early rounds don't become franchise QBs. Many/most don't even become mediocre starters. It's really hard to figure out which QBs will suceed in the NFL. There are no sure things in the draft but the probabilities vary by position. The success of a lineman or, in this case, a WR is easier to predict.

With so many holes to fill, we couldn't afford to gamble on a QB who may or may not ever take the field in a regular season game.

Gailey's in charge They are going to find a qb who can run his system. We just saw that with VY.

Fitz can. Gailey is running his team the way he wants to in lockstep with Buddy.Very defined method and vision. And thats the only way to get it done. They will find one.

Probably be a wtf moment for us though

again.

I agree with both of you that tons of teams passed on him. We are not idiots, but both us and the Jags did reach in the third. I mean TJ would have been there in the 4th round. I think the Redskins fooled us, but that is fine. We got a player who has looked relaly good so far in preseason. I am not mad with TJ. I like the pick up so far. He has been solid, I hope he can turn into a #2 though. We need a #2 badly in Buffalo

I recall a rumor that if the Bills hadn't traded up for T.J. that the Jags would have taken him. Don't know how legitimate that rumor was, but I do recall reading that somewhere.

Yes - Russell Wilson is a sure pro bowler and is all lined up for Rookie of the Year and TJ was a bad pick - horrible - what a reach... We say based on a few preseason games in each of their rookie seasons.

Give me a break. Let's have this discussion in one or two seasons when there's actually something to talk about. Right now, each is doomed with the P word - potential. I think both will be good, and yes we eventually need a QB. But I'd rather have Fitzgerald than a guy that just won the starting job in SEATTLE after a couple of meaningless quarters!!

I recall a rumor that if the Bills hadn't traded up for T.J. that the Jags would have taken him. Don't know how legitimate that rumor was, but I do recall reading that somewhere.

And that's correct - I believe the Jags even admitted they weren't ready for the pick. Why else pick a punter that high. Though he will be awesome (go Cal!)

I posted this in another Russell Wilson thread:

2008: 9 QB's drafted after round 2-- none of them starting

2009: 8 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

2010: 12 QB's drafted after round 2--potentially 1 will start (John Skelton in Arizona)

2011: 6 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

In sum, over the last 4 years, you've seen 35 QB's drafted in the 3rd round or lower. From that group, you have, at most, one marginal starting QB

Drafting Wilson was like hitting the lottery.

Good post and they still don't know what they have got. If he is a legitimate starter he would have been worth a first in hindsight.

I posted this in another Russell Wilson thread:

2008: 9 QB's drafted after round 2-- none of them starting

2009: 8 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

2010: 12 QB's drafted after round 2--potentially 1 will start (John Skelton in Arizona)

2011: 6 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

In sum, over the last 4 years, you've seen 35 QB's drafted in the 3rd round or lower. From that group, you have, at most, one marginal starting QB

Drafting Wilson was like hitting the lottery.

The preseason lottery. Let's see how how does once they start game planning against him. This is as simple as dusting off the old Flute defense play book.

The preseason lottery. Let's see how how does once they start game planning against him. This is as simple as dusting off the old Flute defense play book.

You may have meant that as a joke, but there is a ton of truth to that statement.

GO BILLS!!!

Threads like these are a dime a dozen and a complete joke for having any meaningful discussion. The Bills didn't perceive a need for a quarterback with their 3rd round pick. They did perceive a need for a starting wide receiver and that's what they got. Getting your man juices flowing (unless you're a child of course), to make yourself believe that they should have picked this or that player over who they actually did, DESPITE obvious needs is borderline short bus thinking. They said it after the draft. Unless there was an OBVIOUS franchise QB available, they weren't going to pick him. That certainly doesn't apply to a guy projected to go in the 4th or 5th round.

Thank you! This should have been the end of the conversation, but nooooooo!! Come on guys.

Oh yea, we couda had Gronk!! Bad back and all. I really like that Buddy kinda dismisses dumbass questions from reporters, maybe that's needed here.

I've gone deep underground until next Tuesday as I prepare for my ridiculously overly-competitive fantasy football drafts but I have to comment on this topic.

Firstly, the Seahawks are to be lauded for the conviction with which they draft. Lots of casual fans loved Wilson but many "experts" were unconvinced.

Many of these same experts had Bruce Irvin pegged as a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I stated he would be drafted in the first round)… the Seahawks picked Irvin in the first round. After they selected Irvin, Buddy Ryan congratulated Pete Carroll on the pick and said that the Jets would have drafted Irvin in round one had he slid to them.

Clearly the Seahawks couldn't care less what Kiper, McShay, and Mayock think. Many readers here should take a lesson from that and place a lot less stock in the opinions of the so-called experts.

Wilson was considered a 4th or 5th rounder. The experts thought Cordy Glenn was a guard. Reach or not it doesn't matter. Te Seahawks are now being lauded for their independent thinking on Wilson. They went against the grain. Maybe that turns out to be the case with Graham and Glenn for the Bills. What I do like is their conviction to pick both and eventually they will be judged based on the results, but we are a couple years away from that. Don't hand Pete Carroll the label of genius quite yet.

Good post.

The people here criticizing the Graham pick based on the draft projections of "experts" are absolutely hilarious.

Aren't the experts who said that TJ Graham was a 5th rounder the same experts who had Russell Wilson pegged as a 4th rounder?

So we're supposed to criticize the Bills for reaching but compliment the Seahawks for reaching?

There were two rumors swirling around the Graham pick. You mention the first one regarding Jacksonville. The other rumor concerned the hope that the Bills had that Wilson would be around in the 4th round.

With a high fourth round pick isn't it very plausible that the Bills hoped that Wilson would be available in the 4th? Didn't the fact that Seattle didn't really need a quarterback (they signed Flynn 5 weeks before the draft) but drafted one anyways possibly throw a wrench in the Bills projections?

I love Russell Wilson. I have high hopes for TJ Graham.

That said, there is a valid question (criticism?) regarding whether the Bills need to show greater aggression when drafting quarterbacks.

I'd take Graham, bc thats who we took and had rated higher.

If you wanna talk QB's for next yr, I'm thinking Geno Smith from West virginia is chans kind of guy.

Except that if we have a season that needs to draft a QB, Chan is unlikely to be the HC.