Seattle's Reaction to the Loss of TJack

No, but, if Russel Wilson graded out so highly (by most all accounts people had him as excellent, with only the height as a concern), and you are a team that not only doesn't have a backup, but has a starter who at times looked worse than half the league's backups - then, yes, it is time to start being aggressive in landing THE ANSWER at QB - even if that means reaching by a round to ensure you get him; because, otherwise, as we've seen the last two years, the Bills end up missing on a guy they liked by half a round or a round. If you are in real need, overpaying by a round is better than having to shell out millions and risk an entire season on a carousel of mediocre QB's. Just go and get a good one, for a change!

One that you feel is good, or one the Bills feel is good (and you are not so high on.)?

If they get one you feel is good, can you tolerate watching him sitting on the bench for 1-2 years while Fitz starts?

Or are you going to demand they get rid Fitz, find a veteran back up, and force the rook into the starting lineup?

And if the rook becomes a bust 3-4 years later, will you stand up and say, "Well, at least they tried" or will you continue to B word and moan about the Bills not having a good one?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Bills need to start drafting QBs just for the sake of drafting QBs?

Damn the logic and evaluation, draft QBs rounds 1 -7 next year.

the answer is yes.

If the Bills drafted a QB with their first pick of the first round every single year from 2000 to 2010 they would be in a much better place than they are now.

Both O-line and D-line are rebuilt. There is no excuse. Draft a Qb in rounds 1-3 next year have them duke it out with Fitz. Trade the 3rd place QB for a pick thus time next year.

Its time to be relevant again.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Hmm, pretty positive, although some posters are saying that our boards are all lit up with calls to start TJax? Umm.. Am I missing something? :)

Tim-

Bills fans are nuts and people were calling for Young to replace Fitz prior to the second half of last game.

Here's what I can't shake: At one point last year we were 5 & 2 & ranked 2nd in the NFL. Fitz was hot & we were singing his praises! Then we had devastaing injuries & the wheels fell of the cart... and later, word came out about Fitz's mysterious rib injury, Fast forward to this pre-season...no, it hasn't been pretty...but because of our hot start last year, I know we are capable. I for one am not gonna be calling for T Jack to come in anytime soon. Let's be patient, trust in Chan, & believe in our guy, at least for the 1st part of this season. T Jack needs time to learn the offense anyway. Also, I think we have a real good chance of beating the Jets on the 9th & this will be a confidence builder.

So once the season starts and say, Wilson struggles when faced with actual game-planned defenses and has trouble adjusting, do you reserve your right to change your mind? Or are you pretty much convinced that Wilson is a no-brainer after one preseason start?

The people who defend Nix's failure to draft Wilson (or Cousins, or Foles) with our third pick last year keep saying, "But they haven't done anything yet; it's only pre-season." True enough I suppose, but Wilson apparently did enough in the meaningless pre-season to win the job from last year's starter and the presumptive starter to whom the Seahawks are paying an awful lot of money. On the other hand, if us naysayers wait until Wilson wins Rookie of the Year to second guess Nix and company, then the "In Nix we Trust" crowd will say, "Anyone can second guess Buddy with the advantage of hindsight; the draft is a crapshoot." The fact is, a lot of posters on this board wanted Nix to draft Wilson in round 3 and said so at the time, based presumably on his outstanding play at a major program in major football conference, and based on the fact that the Bills needed a promising young QB or two in the pipeline. From all the available evidence those posters were right and Nix was dead wrong. Is it possible that Wilson will flame out and Fitz will prove that his performance this pre-season and the first 6 years of his NFL career was an aberration? Sure, anything's possible, I guess.

The people who defend Nix's failure to draft Wilson (or Cousins, or Foles) with our third pick last year keep saying, "But they haven't done anything yet; it's only pre-season." True enough I suppose, but Wilson apparently did enough in the meaningless pre-season to win the job from last year's starter and the presumptive starter to whom the Seahawks are paying an awful lot of money. On the other hand, if us naysayers wait until Wilson wins Rookie of the Year to second guess Nix and company, then the "In Nix we Trust" crowd will say, "Anyone can second guess Buddy with the advantage of hindsight; the draft is a crapshoot." The fact is, a lot of posters on this board wanted Nix to draft Wilson in round 3 and said so at the time, based presumably on his outstanding play at a major program in major football conference, and based on the fact that the Bills needed a promising young QB or two in the pipeline. From all the available evidence those posters were right and Nix was dead wrong. Is it possible that Wilson will flame out and Fitz will prove that his performance this pre-season and the first 6 years of his NFL career was an aberration? Sure, anything's possible, I guess.

This.

It's true that lots of posters wanted to draft Wilson in Round 3. I was (half-heartedly) one of them. But my opinion was based entirely on media reports and highlight film. I never saw the guy play an entire game. Like a broken clock, even I'm right twice a day.

Lots of us will make hypothetical draft selections that will pan out. Playing draft guru is like any other game of chance. You win some, you lose some. But professional GMs improve their odds by intensive research by a team of experienced scouts that none of us have the support, time or expertise to replicate.

I'm going to guess that if we knew everything about Wilson that Buddy knew, we wouldn't have taken him either. Now, it might prove true that those reservations were groundless. We'll see.

Remember, even the guru, Bill Walsh, recommended Trent Edwards. Great MLB batters hit .300 and the best NFL GMs aren't much better. I'm not going to condemn Nix for not drafting Wilson. Every single NFL GM - without exception - misses on some picks. It's the nature of the business. I'm nore interested in the totality of Nix's work. And it seems to me that over the past two years we've been acquiring good NFL talent faster than we've been losing it - and more efficiently than the average NFL team.

It's true that lots of posters wanted to draft Wilson in Round 3. I was (half-heartedly) one of them. But my opinion was based entirely on media reports and highlight film. I never saw the guy play an entire game. Like a broken clock, even I'm right twice a day.

Lots of us will make hypothetical draft selections that will pan out. Playing draft guru is like any other game of chance. You win some, you lose some. But professional GMs improve their odds by intensive research by a team of experienced scouts that none of us have the support, time or expertise to replicate.

I'm going to guess that if we knew everything about Wilson that Buddy knew, we wouldn't have taken him either. Now, it might prove true that those reservations were groundless. We'll see.

Remember, even the guru, Bill Walsh, recommended Trent Edwards. Great MLB batters hit .300 and the best NFL GMs aren't much better. I'm not going to condemn Nix for not drafting Wilson. Every single NFL GM - without exception - misses on some picks. It's the nature of the business. I'm nore interested in the totality of Nix's work. And it seems to me that over the past two years we've been acquiring good NFL talent faster than we've been losing it - and more efficiently than the average NFL team.

Well, obviously other teams passed on Wilson, as well, but the Bills had a serious need for a promising young QB prospect. By the 3d round of the draft, was there another team in the entire league as starved for QB help as the Bills? If Nix didn't like Wilson, there is no excuse for not taking Cousins, or Foles, or even the guy from Boise State in a later round. Nix's failure to realize that the Bills had (and still have) a dire need for an infusion of QB talent was inexcusable and probably set the franchise back a year or two in its rebuilding project. Unfortunately, as the T. Jackson trade indicates, Buddy is now realizing this too late. The Seahawks certainly understood this and picked Wilson even though they had two serviceable or better QB's on their roster already, including one to whom they had just shelled out big bucks.

And all I'm saying is that your conclusion that there is enough evidence to say Nix was "dead wrong" is crazy. I hope Wilson succeeds in the NFL. I'd like to see him do well. But who knows if it will happen.

And who knows, maybe Nix was prepared to draft him, but didn't think anyone would take him before the 4th. That doesn't necessarily make him "dead wrong."

the answer is yes.

If the Bills drafted a QB with the first pick of the first round every single year from 2000 to 2010 they would be in a much better place than they are now.

Both O-line and D-line are rebuilt. There is no excuse. Draft a Qb in rounds 1-3 next year have them duke it out with Fitz. Trade the 3rd place QB for a pick thus time next year.

I think you are kidding.

You need to find an immediate starter in round one and in rounds two and three guys that can compete for a starting position. At worse provide quality depth thier rookie year and be starters thier second year.

I am all for drafting A qb in one of the first three rounds next year. I like Fitz but think we have enough of his work to see what he is- streaky.

The Bills still have to many holes to waste thier best 3 picks on one position.

the answer is yes.

If the Bills drafted a QB with the first pick of the first round every single year from 2000 to 2010 they would be in a much better place than they are now.

That would be overkill but I agree with your assertion about drafting a QB early and often.

RE: the Seahawks fans waxing poetic about TJax, keep in mind when a beat writer from Minny was asked if he would resurrect his career his response was along the lines of "not a chance in hell."

No, but, if Russel Wilson graded out so highly (by most all accounts people had him as excellent, with only the height as a concern), and you are a team that not only doesn't have a backup, but has a starter who at times looked worse than half the league's backups - then, yes, it is time to start being aggressive in landing THE ANSWER at QB - even if that means reaching by a round to ensure you get him; because, otherwise, as we've seen the last two years, the Bills end up missing on a guy they liked by half a round or a round. If you are in real need, overpaying by a round is better than having to shell out millions and risk an entire season on a carousel of mediocre QB's. Just go and get a good one, for a change!

humpty dumpty would've fallen off the stadium wall if we didn't draft defense, as ours last year was atrocious. So with that said, yes, I would've drafted all of the pro bowl quarterbacks for the last 5 years, given the choice. What were we thinking?

That's it right there. I know I wasn't alone waiting with baited breath to hear his name called with our pick in the 3rd. I sighed with relief every time he slid by one of the teams in front of us in that round.

And I believe in Fitz.