Comments from Gailey, O-line: cause for concern?

Really? Because there's no difference in the preparation and intensity level between the preseason and regular season? Come on Beerball, you know better than that. Weren't people crying about the same thing last year then they went on the road and kicked the **** out of KC.

So what happens if the 1st team goes out and kicks the **** out of the Steelers on Saturday? Should I buy my superbowl tickets?

The only real conclusion, since you're correct that pros can flip a switch, is that Levitre is not a pro.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of that is true then yes, we do have a problem.

However, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick won't be scaring opposing defenses anyhow.

And that statement is cause for concern. I don't know why we put all our eggs in one basket with Fitz. I have a feeling VY might be in play, because of the dynamic he can bring to the offense.

So what happens if the 1st team goes out and kicks the **** out of the Steelers on Saturday? Should I buy my superbowl tickets?

No, that probably just means the Steelers aren't very good this year or weren't trying very hard. (It couldn't mean anything positive about the Bills.) :ph34r:

And that statement is cause for concern. I don't know why we put all our eggs in one basket with Fitz. I have a feeling VY might be in play, because of the dynamic he can bring to the offense.

I'm not sure I get how you are using that phrase, how did we "put all of our eggs in one basket with Fitz"? We signed one of, if not the, most highly regarded backup QB's, who already has a winning record at QB. We also had the biggest free agent signing this year, changed coaches and defensive schemes, ect...

Fitz is one piece, and it's pretty clear that the Bills wanted to have a starter quality backup behind him (Even though I personally don't think VY is good).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Name me one quality team that doesnt have "all their eggs in one basket" in regard to their starting QB?

Again...it's preseason. The only time I will be worried about our O-line will be on the 9th.

Do I think the O-line could use the motivation in order to get back into the swing of things? You bet. If they start coming together tomorrow, and then have two weeks to get ready I'm hoping that will be good to get their chemistry going again.

Maybe Levitre and the line are putting pressure and expectations upon themselves as a way to motivate and focus?

Personally I have zero concerns about our offensive line. They and the defensive line will not be the culprits if the Bills season undershoots expectations.

If the lines aren't the problem this year, then there wont be any problems.

Personally I think they are the biggest keys to any good team. Skill players play a hell of a lot better with good play in the trenches.

I feel that has been the biggest issue the past 15 (or more) years, either one or both have always been weak.

Please Please Please let them both be good, and the season will be very enjoyable. :thumbsup:

I see all of the idiots of TBD of accumulated into one thread....and I am sorry that some of our good posters bothered to retort and get dragged in.

I wasn't going to post in this inane thread ... but now that I see it's a rally point for the idiots of TBD, I am strangely compelled to add a post.

That would be very scary for me as a Bills fan if these professional athletes at the NFL level need that to motivate or focus them.

It's ok not to know much about professional athletes. They use many motivational techniques such as bulletin board material, rousing speeches from coaches, bounties, accountability, etc.

I'm sure as you watch professional sports more, you'll pick up on these things. We were all newbies at one time so ask any questions about things that confuse you and there's likely somebody who can answer it for you.

Sorry Mac I probably shouldnt have either.....just some of the stuff Im seeing on the wall today. Christ

It's tough to not respond to some of these posts. All I know is that my ignore list is growing by the day over these past two weeks.

Sorry Mac I probably shouldnt have either.....just some of the stuff Im seeing on the wall today. Christ

Nothing to be sorry about John .... I agree 100% .... I was just being silly about the accumulation of idiots and my fear of missing the roll call ... lol

Maybe Levitre and the line are putting pressure and expectations upon themselves as a way to motivate and focus?

Personally I have zero concerns about our offensive line. They and the defensive line will not be the culprits if the Bills season undershoots expectations.

Depends, SJBF, dunnit? What line is it? Does Pears come back strong, Wood start at center, and we're fielding essentially the same OL we had a good part of last year (Pears-Urbik-Wood-Levitre-Hairston)? Are we choosing from whomever looks better of Hairston and Glenn at LT with the threat of being demoted for inconsistency to motivate?

Or are we bookending a 2nd year guy at RT and a rook at LT (with essentially no one much behind him), and a backup at RG so Urbik can play center?

Really? Because there's no difference in the preparation and intensity level between the preseason and regular season? Come on Beerball, you know better than that. Weren't people crying about the same thing last year then they went on the road and kicked the **** out of KC.

You said that they could just flip a switch. A member of the Bills o-line says you can't just flip a switch. So, who's right?

My comment on "flipping a switch" was in reference to INTENSITY not execution. What I said was professional athletes can dial up the intensity. That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll execute the plays properly but the certainly level of physicality will increase. Jesus, there've been literally dozens of former players that have confirmed this.

If you want to call me out that's fine but don't twist my words.

If you believe that veteran football players give max effort during meaningless preseason games then were going to have to agree to disagree.

As an extension, I just re-read that article and I really don't understand WTF Levitre is talking about? Who exactly is he talking about when he says he "doesn't see the same intensity"? He's the only starter from last year that's been getting any consistent snaps. He has a rookie to his left who spent the first two weeks of camp trading spots with Hairston. Wood has spent most of camp slowly working back in and played only 10 snaps last week. Urbik's been forced to play center taking him out of his regular position and Pears has been spending all of his time that should be used for reps riding a !@#$ing bicycle. Does Andy realize that four of the five guys on his line are either out of position or new?

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

This team hasn't looked remotely ready to play in either game which is what concerns me the most

The LBs have looked awful. Sheppard is out of position way too much which is pretty much how he looked last year

They look like exactly what they are, a young team with a lot of new players

Edited by Max997

Is it me or was there not a cryptic reference to the Electric Company there & that maybe the article is about LeVitre's wanting of this unit to step it up, to flick that switch...

Joe D, McKenzie, Foley, Montler & Green- Seymour... Probowl nods abound.

Urbik, LeVitre, Glenn, Wood & Hairston/ Pears- Chandler.... & mayb the flick the switch, the electric company reference makes sense- none are pro bowlers @ present... ...

This O line is still a huge concern, and has been since day one. Even with all the starters healthy and playing well, its still not a top unit. Wood and Levitre are the best players on that line, no doubt. But that right side is still very questionable and now they have a rookie at LT, With players coming off injuries, and not 100% yet it has to be a big concern.

The way Ryan Fitzpatrick gets the ball out to the open receiver in 3 seconds or under hides a lot of pass blocking deficiencies. Fred Jackson running out of the spread where he breaks the first tackles or always makes the first tackler miss hides the run blocking deficiencies.

This team still can't throw mid to deep passes on a consistent basis or run from a closed formation which limits the plays you can run in an offense.

Now the starters need to play a few games to gain their continuity again and they should be able to do what they did at the start of last season. The problem is until some of the players can up the level of their play the Bills passing offense will still be a one trick pony.