Bills Release Merriman!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I feel better knowing you are not the decision maker for this franchise. Hummm, let's keep a 3-4 olb with a history of injuries instead of the 4-3 de., even though we are now a 4-3 d.

Apparently you must not have wanted Merriman on the team at all from the way you are talking. We didn't release him after an injury, we are releasing him DURING his most productive off-season in 3 years. I'm not saying it isn't probably the wisest decision Gailey and Nix need to make. The only thing I am saying is I would feel better keeping a healthy Merriman.... Stop talking like a teenager. It's annoying.

Oh, you crazy! No way that is it! Make much more sense that there is a secret backdoor reason and there is a conspiracy to keep the truth about Merriman from the public! Even Obama is in on it!

Didn't even think of the Obama angle! Humm,?!?!

Merriman had 3 tackles in two preseason games against predominatly 2nd and 3rd stringers. he didn't take any 2nd team snaps during the Minnesota game as far as I could tell and despite playing almost 2 full quarters he was largely inneffective. If he can't beat guys who'll be on the street in 2 weeks WTF is he going to do against actual NFL players?

That's still infinitely better than Sheppard's stats ...

Apparently you must not have wanted Merriman on the team at all from the way you are talking. We didn't release him after an injury, we are releasing him DURING his most productive off-season in 3 years. I'm not saying it isn't probably the wisest decision Gailey and Nix need to make. The only thing I am saying is I would feel better keeping a healthy Merriman.... Stop talking like a teenager. It's annoying.

Besides the surgery what was more productive than last year? Not trying to be argumentative, as I was among the most hopeful.

I wanted him here when we were a 3-4 d. But he doesn't work well as a 4-3 de. or a 4-3 olb. He can't cover a TE as a 4-3 OLB and he doesn't hold up as well as Kelsay as the 4-3 de against the run.

I'm missing the talking like a teenager part, WTF do yu mean?!

This is where is gets strange. The last sentence of that blog is:

That clears up some of it for me, but raises even more questions.

It seems to me that he was released before the season began for both injury and salary cap reasons. I supposed the team could argue that it was neither, because he wasn't on the sidelines injured, or they were not up against the cap. But in reality, that's exactly what happened. And it seems to me it would be very strange wording in a contract to make it guaranteed IF he got hurt.

It's possible, because of that angle, that they didn't want to risk the 4 million. It seems a bit strange. Does anyone remember a contract signed like that? I'm not saying he did, but perhaps Tim got it wrong and it should have said the 3 mil was guaranteed if he wasn't released because of injury or cap reasons. Interesting...

Seems like TG has misinterrepted the contract from the get go.. Here's his ESPN column in 2011

Merriman has some interesting language for 2012 also tied to last year's Achilles injury. His base salary will be $4 million regardless.

The minute he's cleared to practice -- even if it's a month from now -- $3 million of his 2012 salary becomes fully guaranteed whether he's on the roster or not.

Of course, he would need to remain with the team to pick up his $1 million roster bonus and $250,000 workout bonus for 2012.

That means only $2.25 million of his contract ($1 million of his 2012 base salary, $1 million roster bonus and $225,000 workout bonus) is not tied to the injury he's currently recovering from -- not any future injuries.

Besides the surgery what was more productive than last year? Not trying to be argumentative, as I was among the most hopeful.

I would say the way he talks about his own health and how he says he feels. I think he only missed one day of camp as well and it was more of like a rest day. I could be mistaken but I thought Gailey said it was his most productive camp in 3 years as well.

I would say the way he talks about his own health and how he says he feels. I think he only missed one day of camp as well and it was more of like a rest day. I could be mistaken but I thought Gailey said it was his most productive camp in 3 years as well.

There's no way this will come off friendly but.... Talk doesn't mean a ton. We don't like to admit it but on this board we hang on a lot of meaningless words. I was really hoping, but having not seen camp or that much of his snaps in the games.... I can't say he's actually done anything better. I was all hope that it was truth but know better than to 100% believe it (especially when the actions, ie cutting, go so far against those words).

I think you're off base here. Merriman looked much more productive during preseason last year when it was still a 3-4 defense. If I recall, he even had a couple of sacks.

This Defense is switching back to a 4-3 defense, which is something Merriman isn't exactly all that familiar with. He is healthy now, and according to him and coaches, moving better than he did last year. You still get a few question marks with Merriman. Will he learn to adapt to playing a 4-3 DE? Is he going to be productive in his role of ~15-20 snaps a game? Is he going to be able to stay healthy for a season? Has he shown anything this preseason to answer those questions?

With Kelsay, you're talking about a guy who has played in a 4-3 Defense for much of his career. He won't put up the stellar stats that Merriman, if he answers all those questions, could do. He will be in position on every play though, and he will be in a rotational role rather than a starting role. Kelsay doesn't have a history of injuries, doesn't have to adapt, and you know what you're getting out of the guy.

Honestly, I don't think this decision came down to Kelsay vs Merriman, rather Merriman vs. Moore. Moore is younger, no injury history, looked OK in his limited time last year and has improved upon those performances this offseason. He may not have the stats to back it up, but he's definitely been getting some pressures on QB's so far.

re: brad smith

can Young play WR "better than average"? does he return kicks "better than average" too? how about making tackles on special teams "better than average"? 'cause if he does, I agree with what you wrote.

Aside from being half of the freak back-to-back int's for touchdowns, I thought he was on par with Thigpen. Perhaps he should be getting TT's reps already.

I fixed your post for you.

There's no way this will come off friendly but.... Talk doesn't mean a ton. We don't like to admit it but on this board we hang on a lot of meaningless words. I was really hoping, but having not seen camp or that much of his snaps in the games.... I can't say he's actually done anything better. I was all hope that it was truth but know better than to 100% believe it (especially when the actions, ie cutting, go so far against those words).

You sound friendly to me...

But you're right, words don't mean a lot I suppose when it comes to some. But that's all a man has sometimes is his word. Some do not trust a mans word at first instead makes the persons earn it first. I on the other hand take a word until it's proven wrong.

Anyway... I heard he was making plays through out camp. He didn't look that impressive in the pre-season though.

Seems like TG has misinterrepted the contract from the get go.. Here's his ESPN column in 2011

Thanks. That is what I remember reading, that it doesn't matter what happened, if he was cleared to play by the doctors, 3 mil of his 4 mil salary was guaranteed. This seems to say all of it was guaranteed. To be fair, reporters are fed misinformation about contracts all the time, and it does appear that Merriman had some strange language in the deal.

Until I hear it directly from Buddy Nix, I remain skeptical how much we actually paid him and have to pay him for this year.

This……

Well regardless I actually would like to thank Shawne, he definitely played his part off the field to bring in the guys necessary to make the Bills a contender again. I cant say that we've have a player like that in a long time. Im gonna go ahead and trust the F.O on this one and hope it works out for the best.

You sound friendly to me...

But you're right, words don't mean a lot I suppose when it comes to some. But that's all a man has sometimes is his word. Some do not trust a mans word at first instead makes the persons earn it first. I on the other hand take a word until it's proven wrong.

Anyway... I heard he was making plays through out camp. He didn't look that impressive in the pre-season though.

I re-worked it some to get past the initial "words don't mean jack and were all a bit foolish to hang on them" post I wrote. It's true, but it can sound uglier if presented poorly (as I orginally began to type it).

In this case, gailey and nix owe no duty of honesty to you. In fact, if doing their jobs at the highest level- they shouldnt be trusted at face value often times. Ultimately you can only trust actions and your own eyes. Sometimes tgere are good reporters but even those are getting to be further between as they tend to echo whatever is being said and don't watch themselves or have their own agendas.

Edited by NoSaint