Wildcat: I just threw up in my mouth.

MikeSpeed

I guess I just don't get it.

You take out the starting QB, and pretty much ignore the starting RBs. Then you put in a guy that is not capable of being the second string QB to replace the starting QB? The guy isn't even good enough to be the back-up RB. It just makes no sense to remove your supposedly best players and replace them with one of lesser ability.

Can you imagine that it's 3rd and 1 and we run the wildcat up the middle and we don't make it? The first words out of my mouth will be "Why didn't you at least give it to Freddie?"

I just don't get it.

So someone please enlighten me as to what possible match-up problems this gimmick is suppose to create. Please don't give me the coaches speak of "It makes the apposing team have to prepare for it" crap. Every D coordinator in the NFL has figured it out by now. So if you can give me some genuine Xs and Os reasons like, it allows the o-line to block like... Or it puts the DBs in this situation... then maybe I'll be able to control me gag reflex better.

Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It keeps the defense on its edge, especially an aggressive defense like the Jets have. You don't always just run the ball up the middle in a wildcat, it just depends on what the defense does. QB reads the edge rushers. They crash in, he bounces outside, if they stay home, he goes middle. It's an option running play that isn't always just designated to one gap or to one side. It's just like an option route that WRs run. Depending on the coverage, their route will change. It's not a homerun play and isn't going to make the highlight reel on Sportscenter all the time but it does keep an overaggressive defense honest. There are a lot of variations that can come out of this one play. I don't mind the wildcat at all. Just depends on where we use it and how.

One logical advantage is that it adds another blocker--- once the QB hands the ball off he is virtually invisible. Taking Fitz off the field and direct snapping to Brad Smith would theoretically give him an extra blocker on running plays if there is indeed the threat of a pass.

Edited by Punch

One logical advantage is that it adds another blocker--- once the QB hands the ball off he is virtually invisible. Taking Fitz off the field and direct snapping to Brad Smith would theoretically give him an extra blocker on running plays if there is indeed the threat of a pass.

Bingo...and it was quite effective picking up first downs last year.

Well I can tell you that the Bills didn't run it often last year because of the strike shortened off season as they never really got much time to implemement it.

This year with David Lee as QB coach and Brad Smith as the solid #3 QB I think they will utilize it a whole lot more. However, It still remains to be seen if Brad Smith can run the WC effectively in Buffalo!

I can see the OP point, will it be wise to try the WC when Fitz is in a rythem and playing well? Will it be wise to substitute a 3rd string QB for the starting QB or RB?

My answer is yeah! It should prove very useful in certain situations. Among others, like short yardage when you need 2 yards or a red zone goal line, and a closed formation just won't get it done.

Think of it as an option play where the QB is both the RB and QB and can either throw it, run it or toss outside to the RB. This causes verious problems for the defense to maintain containment.

Fitz is certinly a very mobile QB but you wouldn't want him to try and run and possiably get seriously injured. Freddy is a great RB but you don't want him as the option QB all the time

PS My take on why the Bills signed VY is because he is a bigger, stronger version of BS, and should do worlds better running the WC. VY is the better QB & RB. IMO. Its what he did in college and was a world beater at it. 467 yards of offense in the 06 rose bowl. the #3 overall pick in 2006. if there ever was a QB to build an offense around its this guy. The Bills need to look at how the Panthers were able to get Cam Newton to run that "air Coryell" offense so well.

Should Fitz suffer an injury which puts him on the bench, i sure have more faith in VY who was a 2x pro bowler and starter as backup then TT or BS. But then, wth do I know.

You take out the starting QB, and pretty much ignore the starting RBs. Then you put in a guy that is not capable of being the second string QB to replace the starting QB? The guy isn't even good enough to be the back-up RB. It just makes no sense to remove your supposedly best players and replace them with one of lesser ability.

Can you imagine that it's 3rd and 1 and we run the wildcat up the middle and we don't make it? The first words out of my mouth will be "Why didn't you at least give it to Freddie?"

I just don't get it.

So someone please enlighten me as to what possible match-up problems this gimmick is suppose to create. Please don't give me the coaches speak of "It makes the apposing team have to prepare for it" crap. Every D coordinator in the NFL has figured it out by now. So if you can give me some genuine Xs and Os reasons like, it allows the o-line to block like... Or it puts the DBs in this situation... then maybe I'll be able to control me gag reflex better.

Thanks!

You make good points. The formation is meant to confuse. To me, in order to do that you would have to run it with 3 TEs and a reciever so that you're totally disguising whether you'll run or pass. If they overload for run, then you have to be able to pass out of it with TE mismatches, otherwise you have 9 blockers helping the QB pick up the 1-2 yards that are needed.

watch a spread option offense play, and forget about the word wildcat. id advice you start with cam newton at auburn.

now, you dont want your starting qb to be hurt running the ball a lot so take your best runner that has a decent arm.

you get an extra blocker like many have mentioned, the zone read runs are typically effective, and when people start crashing the run you can throw. it wouldnt be my base for obvious injury concerns, but its definitely a dynamic option for an offense to use in situations.

Not if qb is split out as a "receiver"

I just don't get it.

Well so far, the Bills have used the Wildcat quite successfully to pick up short yardage. We got away from it as the season went on and we lost players to injury. But I can remember it being used successfully to extend drives early in the season. Lots of 3rd and short pickups. So Im not too worried.

I want to see them pass out of it......

Which is exactly the point that Gailey's hoping for. When the Dolphins did it, Ronnie Brown couldn't credibly pass. When we did it last year, there wasn't sufficient training camp practice/prep due to the lockout to install it with Brad Smith. This season will be make/break for it. If they can pass from the formation, its a huge weapon if they can't its effectively useless and I agree w/ the poster that they're better off giving it to Freddy...

But we don't always split Fitz out, we sub him out. Which makes what we run NOT the Wildcat, but actually the spread offense.

Plus, even splitting Fitz out wide still provides an interior blocker for B. Smith, which is obviously where the advantage comes in. If Fitz is lined up at WR the illusion of a pass becomes... more illusory.

I agree, we don't really run a WildCat. Brad Smith may not be Michael Vick but he also won't be mistaken for Ronnie Brown when he drops back to pass.

It just adds an extra look to the offense. Seems like the Bills like to use it in short yardage type situations. I have no problem with it.

Agreed. As long as it works and keeps the chains moving, I'm all for it. It gives the opposing team more to work on...

I just don't get it.

Thanks!

I'll enlighten you, but unfortunately you are absolutely correct.

The matchup problem that it does create is one of head coach vs. head coach, more specifically a head coach that apparently hasn't caught on that the Wildcat is more of a gimmick "works occasionally" type play rather than something that should even remotely be relied upon for the success to any level. In other words, if you have to plan on using it as a regular part of your arsenal, then your offense really isn't that good. Hence Miami's having used it all those seasons, and the Jets. Neither team had an offense that they could rely on. You typically won't see the Pats, Giants, Packers, Lions, Saints, Ravens, or Texans using it. They don't have to.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to put to rest the notion that common sense isn't being demonstrated right now by the coaching staff, but hey, that's why the Bills have the standing that we do right now. Until proven otherwise of course, but things aren't looking like this is the break-the-chain season for that, is it.

It's also wrong to presume Vince Young would be better running the wildcat than Brad Smith. While Vince is a better passer, Smith is a more "durable" running threat, particularly inside, and he has shown he is capable of making the right reads. You don't want to expose your 2nd string QB to potential injury by having him run the ball against NFL defenses.

The main purpose of the Wildcat is to give ESPN and the NFL Network an excuse to talk about the Jets and Tim Tebow for about for 99% of their broadcast time.

The theme of the storyline is that it's the 'secret' weapon that's everybody knows about (including believe it or not all NFL defensive coordinators) being run by the biggest garbage talking team in the biggest media market with the twist of now being aided by the hand of God himself through the new messiah backup QB.