Wildcat: I just threw up in my mouth.

MikeSpeed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll enlighten you, but unfortunately you are absolutely correct.

The matchup problem that it does create is one of head coach vs. head coach, more specifically a head coach that apparently hasn't caught on that the Wildcat is more of a gimmick "works occasionally" type play rather than something that should even remotely be relied upon for the success to any level. In other words, if you have to plan on using it as a regular part of your arsenal, then your offense really isn't that good. Hence Miami's having used it all those seasons, and the Jets. Neither team had an offense that they could rely on. You typically won't see the Pats, Giants, Packers, Lions, Saints, Ravens, or Texans using it. They don't have to.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to put to rest the notion that common sense isn't being demonstrated right now by the coaching staff, but hey, that's why the Bills have the standing that we do right now. Until proven otherwise of course, but things aren't looking like this is the break-the-chain season for that, is it.

I don't know about the Lions, Ravens or Texans, but you are right about the others, they don't need to use it cause their offence is already strong enough that they don't need it. They have the best QBs in the league running their offences and they succeed without it. But theres more then one way to win games, and the Bills coaching staff feels that adding this to their arsenal can help them take advantage at times.

As for the comments about VY being able to run the WC, Wheres the proof in this? Just because he can scramble, it doesn't mean he can run that offence. Also, he would have to be neamed the 3rd string QB so that he can come in and out of the game without removing Fitz from it for the remainder of the game. Only the 3rd string QB can come in and out to replace the starting QB without the starter being removed.

But of course, fans on a teams internet message board always know more about how to run a teams offence or defence then the team itself.............

Good argument. Really a well thought out rebuttal.

WEO doesn't have a solid rebuttal, because the it was shown by kelly the dog that weo's "statistical analysis" of the supposed wildcat failures contained nothing but lies and falsehoods.

WEO doesn't have a solid rebuttal, because the it was shown by kelly the dog that weo's "statistical analysis" of the supposed wildcat failures contained nothing but lies and falsehoods.

Plus he's a miserable tool.

forget the wildcat, i want gailey to develop a new wrinkle to the offense.

if we have vince and brad smith in the backfield, you could have any of the following combos in play

qb/qb

qb/rb

rb/rb

qb/wr

rb/wr

that's not even mentioning spiller who also has dual roles as wideout and running back.

coupled with the amount of screens we run, and short passes...

my god. talk about confusing a defense.

I don't know about the Lions, Ravens or Texans, but you are right about the others, they don't need to use it cause their offence is already strong enough that they don't need it. They have the best QBs in the league running their offences and they succeed without it. But theres more then one way to win games, and the Bills coaching staff feels that adding this to their arsenal can help them take advantage at times.

As for the comments about VY being able to run the WC, Wheres the proof in this? Just because he can scramble, it doesn't mean he can run that offence. Also, he would have to be neamed the 3rd string QB so that he can come in and out of the game without removing Fitz from it for the remainder of the game. Only the 3rd string QB can come in and out to replace the starting QB without the starter being removed.

But of course, fans on a teams internet message board always know more about how to run a teams offence or defence then the team itself.............

Sorry but this isn't correct. The back-up can come in for the starting QB anytime without removing the starter from the rest of the game. That rule is gone. It used to be they could dress 45 guys on game day with 1 3rd string QB and if that QB played, the other 2 could not come back into the game. Now they just allow teams to dress 46 players and they can all come in and out as much as the coach wants them to.

The main purpose of the Wildcat is to give ESPN and the NFL Network an excuse to talk about the Jets and Tim Tebow for about for 99% of their broadcast time.

The theme of the storyline is that it's the 'secret' weapon that's everybody knows about (including believe it or not all NFL defensive coordinators) being run by the biggest garbage talking team in the biggest media market with the twist of now being aided by the hand of God himself through the new messiah backup QB.

What?

GO BILLS!!!

Good argument. Really a well thought out rebuttal.

It was, about 5 months ago, junior.

Lies and falsehoods? He quibbled about what was actually a "wildcat" play. I included all 20 plays with Smith in the backfield.

Lies and falsehoods by Kelly were what prompted me to look it up. To be precise, he said :The Wildcat was enormously successful last year getting what it was designed to do for us, which was getting first downs on short yardage, and in fact, on 3rd and short, Smith was not stopped one time.

This is laughably false. On 3rd and short, he converted 3 times. In fact only 8 plays were on 3rd doen. The majority of plays where Smith was in the backfield were on 1st and 2nd downs. He converted 7 plays to 1st downs overall--4 of them coming on 1st or 2nd down.

Back in your hole, chief.

Sorry but this isn't correct. The back-up can come in for the starting QB anytime without removing the starter from the rest of the game. That rule is gone. It used to be they could dress 45 guys on game day with 1 3rd string QB and if that QB played, the other 2 could not come back into the game. Now they just allow teams to dress 46 players and they can all come in and out as much as the coach wants them to.

Okay now I am confused. Who is right? Can QBs be switched out like other players at other positons as often as the coach wants during the game?

forget the wildcat, i want gailey to develop a new wrinkle to the offense.

if we have vince and brad smith in the backfield, you could have any of the following combos in play

qb/qb

qb/rb

rb/rb

qb/wr

rb/wr

that's not even mentioning spiller who also has dual roles as wideout and running back.

coupled with the amount of screens we run, and short passes...

my god. talk about confusing a defense.

If we have 3 down linemen, with VInce Young, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brad Smith in a pistol formation with 5 WRs wide, that would FCK with a defenses minds.

Okay now I am confused. Who is right? Can QBs be switched out like other players at other positons as often as the coach wants during the game?

Yes they can, the 3rd quarterback is no longer the "emergency QB" that can only go in if the other QB's are out for the game. They are all interchangeable now.

One logical advantage is that it adds another blocker--- once the QB hands the ball off he is virtually invisible. Taking Fitz off the field and direct snapping to Brad Smith would theoretically give him an extra blocker on running plays if there is indeed the threat of a pass.

This.

Anyone who says its a gimmick play doesn't understand basic math and also football. A defense has 11 players and an offense also 11 players. Except on any given running play the defense has 11 players who could possibly tackle the runner but the offense has only 9 blockers because the QB is not going to block. Especially on a running play up the middle. Your asking your RB to beat 2 players on his own. In the wildcat, because the QB is a running threat, you have an extra blocker. It's now 11 tacklers vs 10 blockers. Increasing the odds for your runner, that now only has the beat 1 player. Annnnndddd if you have a "wildcat" QB who is a pass threat, and spread the field out, that would force the defense to put an extra DB or 2 on the field taking off one of those tackling linebackers. Or creating a mismatch with a LB on a WR.

It's all about mismatches.

I guess I just don't get it.

You take out the starting QB, and pretty much ignore the starting RBs. Then you put in a guy that is not capable of being the second string QB to replace the starting QB? The guy isn't even good enough to be the back-up RB. It just makes no sense to remove your supposedly best players and replace them with one of lesser ability.

Can you imagine that it's 3rd and 1 and we run the wildcat up the middle and we don't make it? The first words out of my mouth will be "Why didn't you at least give it to Freddie?"

I just don't get it.

So someone please enlighten me as to what possible match-up problems this gimmick is suppose to create. Please don't give me the coaches speak of "It makes the apposing team have to prepare for it" crap. Every D coordinator in the NFL has figured it out by now. So if you can give me some genuine Xs and Os reasons like, it allows the o-line to block like... Or it puts the DBs in this situation... then maybe I'll be able to control me gag reflex better.

Thanks!

Let me know when you do and it's a date!

Really is this true? where do you look for verification? I don't want to read 100's of fine print pages.

Whether or not we run much Wildcat on offense, it seems likely that we will need to defend the Wildcat on defense at least occasionally. With the Jets as our first oppenent, it kind of makes sense that our defense would need to get in a little work against it. Whatever you think of Tebow as a QB, he's a talented runner, and nobody really knows how the Jets will use him yet.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead