Merriman last night...

gearbm95

I know the game wasnt televised but Merrimam had a very solid game. He had a couple of qb pressures, drew 2 holding penalties, and stuffed the Skins running game near their own goal line.

Most of you are freaking out like morons over an exhibition with teams playing in base defenses/offenses but I will say Merrimans play last night has me encouraged.

I too like you am very excited at the thought of a healthy Merriman. He's really the only thing I'm cautious about this season because I pretty much know what to expect out of everyone else (short of the rookies maybe) but Merriman looked very good last year too until a few weeks in. If he's truly healthy healed this defense top 5 IMO without him were somewhere near the top 10 range. I want that dominant defense so bad I wanna get excited but must take it day to day.

Just as moronic to praise a guy for good plays against a base offense in a pre-season game

quite the contrary in this situation - throwing out a stat line would be but if he showed things like a quick first step - thats a big deal. if he showed power in his push, thats a big deal.

getting a sack, not so much a big deal.

I watched the game and thought he looked very good. Glad to see it. The game was fugly, for sure, but I saw a lot of good out of our D. Offense didn't look so good, but had two inexperienced tackles playing and Wood didn't play, either. I thought he was in the game early, but read he didn't play, so I'm not sure.

YEs, I watched Merriman some, and he played hard with no evidence of injury. But, he was playing behind superMario, and won't see the field much in that role come season start.

Not so fast my friend.

IF, Merrimam is healthy and can sustain his health, he will see a lot of the field one way or another. You do not sit a healthy Merriman. The true test for him will come after about 4-6 weeks of the regular season. that is when we all will know if he is back to 'Lights Out' status

Just as moronic to praise a guy for good plays against a base offense in a pre-season game

Ridiculous statement. Preseason evaluations are precisely about how a player performs in his one-on-one matchups, and in the case of a player returning from a serious injury, about watching how "healthy" he appears to be.

As this is the first preseason game, I'm not too concerned about who played well and who didn't. Those kinds of observations are usually meaningless this time of year and don't accurately predict regular season performance.

I am concerned about who looked healthy and who didn't. It's good to hear Merriman looked good.

I made an effort to watch him last night from the stands. He had a couple of good pressures, but it seemed most of the time he was getting blown off his feet from the line. Again this is just the first preseason game, but I hope to see better than last night.

I don't take much from the actual plays, but he looked mobile and strong out there, and that's important (to me).

YEs, I watched Merriman some, and he played hard with no evidence of injury. But, he was playing behind superMario, and won't see the field much in that role come season start.

A rotation of Mario, Anderson, Merriman and Kelsay is a good thing, no matter who sees the field a lot.