Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

To me it seems like a decent idea that would surely help the Bills, but IMO there is a fair chance that the league would adopt the first provision of Shumer's idea, the 20 year rule, but that there is very little chance that the league would adopt the second provision, that the league would impose a huge penalty on new owners. Even if the league wants the Bills to stay in Buffalo, which I genuinely believe they do, it would hurt the league's leverage and want to put a team in Los Angeles, by making it harder for the team to move out of Buffalo. It may be hard enough as it is with the relocation fee.

The second provision is not likely to be strongly considered, and I'm not sure what advantage it would have to the league.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call a hearing? Call for a repeal of the exemption? As pointed out above, he's in line to chair a pretty powerful committee. He's got a lot of power, and the House and Senate have always wielded the "nuclear option" threat of taking away the antitrust exemption to get MLB or the NFL to jump while asking "how high?"

But, as I thought would not be the case, the presser appears to have just been a bunch of sound and fury. My audio kept cutting out, but I don't think I missed much. Chalk it up to another disappointment in our elected officials. :)

I am curious to see how long Chuck Schumer's career light would be flashing even at the slightest hint of pushing that "nuclear option." These are not mom and pop operations that go to the government hat in hand.

What an absolutely, self-serving mess of nothing that presser was.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Chuck's plan seems a bit pointless to me.

He seems to be arguing that the immediate repayment of $25-$50 million (the Bills' probable contribution to RWS rennovation) in G4 loans upon the team being sold would be a deal breaker for a future owner. On a billion dollar transaction, that's nothing more than a few extra 'closing costs' IMO.

A deep-pocketed buyer would likely just shrug them off as a cost of doing business, or find some creative accounting treatment to absorb their impact. With team valuations rising at 8%-10% per year, the extra loan repayment burden would be recouped in a few years anyway...

I am curious to see how long Chuck Schumer's career light would be flashing even at the slightest hint of pushing that "nuclear option." These are not mom and pop operations that go to the government hat in hand.

A google search shows several examples in the last decade or so of the Comissioner of either MLB or NFL getting subpoenaed and hauled in front of Congress for one thing or another (steroids, concussions, contraction, etc). Their hats may or may not have been in their hands.

In a 2009 hearing, Goodell got slammed by Rep. Maxine Waters for refusing to acknowledge a link between playing NFL football and concussions. Now he calls player safety the #1 concern. Congresswoman Waters won reelection the following year and still has her seat.

Congress holds sway over MLB and the NFL's cartel-like business models. They are probably the only outfit the leagues have no choice but to answer to.

Well unfortunately for the NFL, Issue #559,094,290 was the MLB steroid case, and Congress sure had hearings about that.

And who says anti-trust isn't an issue? In the American Needle case, the Supreme Court recently said the NFL operates as a cartel and is subject to anti-trust legislation.

Also, individual senators have INSANE powers (filibustering for one). See what Ted Stevens delivered for Alaska, one of the least populous states. All Schumer has to do is call for a repeal of Public Law 89-800. And, provided the Dems hold the Senate, guess who is going to be the Chairman of the Senate's Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights?

Charles Schumer, D-NY.

Congress addressed MLB because there's a specific law that governs MLB anti-trust status. Nothing of the sort exists for the NFL. The only exemption it ever received was in regards to a decades old TV contract. Meanwhile, the NFL has lost most of its legal battles regarding its monopoly status. And to WEO's point, if there is a new law put in place that limits the league's ability to act as a cartel, then it will give individual owners even more power and then you can certainly kiss the Bills in Buffalo goodbye.

Meanwhile, anybody willing to opine that Chuckie's appearance in WNY wasn't anything but a publicity stunt?

Edited by GG

A google search shows several examples in the last decade or so of the Comissioner of either MLB or NFL getting subpoenaed and hauled in front of Congress for one thing or another (steroids, concussions, contraction, etc). Their hats may or may not have been in their hands.

In a 2009 hearing, Goodell got slammed by Rep. Maxine Waters for refusing to acknowledge a link between playing NFL football and concussions. Now he calls player safety the #1 concern. Congresswoman Waters won reelection the following year and still has her seat.

Congress holds sway over MLB and the NFL's cartel-like business models. They are probably the only outfit the leagues have no choice but to answer to.

(JIMMYJO REGARDLESS OF MY COMMENTS BELOW OR WHAT I STATED BEFORE, I AM NOT JUMPING ON YA MAN...PLEASE DON'T THINK THAT. I JUST DON'T LIKE POLITICIANS...I DO GET WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM)

Did Maxine threaten the nuclear option to bring the NFL to its knees or did she just scold him?

Do you think the NFL was worried about Congress with respect to concussions or do you think they were worried about law suits?

Do you think any such issue like Bountygate has to do with making sure the govermenment doesn't come down on them, or is more about law suits and the money it might cost them?

We'd all have to answer to Congress if Subpeonaed, but a $200,000 range Rep or Senator is not going to put the fear of God into a multi-billion dollar entity.

...they're just not.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

As expected, this was another nothing show by Chuck. He gave the same show a few years ago.

Congress will do nothing (which is what "Congressional Hearings" are--nothing dressed up as something for the public). If the exemption goes, there will be no more league wide TV contract, no revenue sharing. Each team will be free to negotiate their own deals (like the Dodgers) or start their own networks (Yankees and Mets). What kind of deal will the Bills get for the rights to televise their games? I'm guessing it will be a lot less than 120-140 million they get now.

Get past this idea of congressional intervention. It's silly and Chuck knows it too. He just got some suckers to show up at his presser today.

That was so underwhelming as to be embarassing to Shumer. Esmoinde got it right two weeks ago, this franchise id DOOMED in Buffalo.

The wheel-chair bound owner (Graham's description of him) has no intention of participating in G4.

I can't comment reguarding the power of Schumer or any other politician claiming plans to keep the team in place. But I agree with Jimmy regarding the fact that Senetors don't just come to little town Buffalo the same day the Commissioner of the league is in town or close enough to be in town in an hour. It just seems like it may be more than what all th pessimists are saying.

As far as building stadiums I don't think $500 million(and the comment I made was actually about 375m not 500m) even gets you close to building a new age stadium in the NFL in these times. The state could give you as much land as you want for free but you'd still have to spend close to a quarter billion dollars to build the actual structure.

Quarter Billion = $250,000,000, as others have shown, other areas in the last decade have built stadiums for under 1/2 a billion. It all depends on what you build. You aren't going to get Jerry Jones monstrosity in Dallas, or something similar to the Jets/Giants stadium, but $500 mil will get you a pretty nice new outdoor stadium, possibly even a modest domed stadium.

Chuck's plan seems a bit pointless to me.

He seems to be arguing that the immediate repayment of $25-$50 million (the Bills' probable contribution to RWS rennovation) in G4 loans upon the team being sold would be a deal breaker for a future owner. On a billion dollar transaction, that's nothing more than a few extra 'closing costs' IMO.

A deep-pocketed buyer would likely just shrug them off as a cost of doing business, or find some creative accounting treatment to absorb their impact. With team valuations rising at 8%-10% per year, the extra loan repayment burden would be recouped in a few years anyway...

Thats 2.5-5%, basically the closing costs around here to sell a home......

Quarter Billion = $250,000,000, as others have shown, other areas in the last decade have built stadiums for under 1/2 a billion. It all depends on what you build. You aren't going to get Jerry Jones monstrosity in Dallas, or something similar to the Jets/Giants stadium, but $500 mil will get you a pretty nice new outdoor stadium, possibly even a modest domed stadium.

I've already stated I meant to type 3/4 Billion. Mistake on my part. And after doing some reserch with the help of Wiki. I have found that the average price of a stadium to be built in the league in 2012 dollars would probably be over $500m. At that same time I noticed quite a few under and well under that paycheck and I would be completely ok with it. I will conceed that there is no need for a billion dollar stadium in the area. $500m would probably be needed however to add shops, stores, probably some kind of transportation and such. Would be worth it and I happen to agree with you after looking at a few really nice fields for under $500m.

In regards to the topic at hand. I went to RWS today. Had a whole big post writen up about how the Bills security wouldn't let me into the lots or had no idea what I was talking about (or at least claimed to have no clue). It seemed like they were being very secretive about who wa allowed there. At one point he asked me who I worked for. I almost said I was an official writer for TBD.com lol. Right after I tried to post this my phone died and Apparently an AT&T tower went out at that time. So that's why your getting all this now. After a recharge and a fix of the tower apparently.

In the end, I parked my car over by the terrorist grocery store (triple k I think) and walked over to the stadium. They were right in front at the limo lot with the RWS sign in the background. Schumer was late so that might be the reason why some of you got feed problems. Was just a bunch of news reporters standing around. I was generally out of place with my blue nikes, cargo shorts and "Property of Buffalo Bills" shirt on but some guy with a suit who looked important to the debacle asked me if I worked for WGR (which really made me laugh if that's what they expect our of a professional media outlet like WGR). I declined, said no, but I could probably do a better job than WGR if it gets me anything special. He laughed and walked on. John Mirphy and Chris Brown came our an I stood right next to them for the interview so if it's on TV that's me right next to Murphy with the black shades with blue lenses ad a shaved head.

On to the performance from Schumer. It's the G4 he was talking about. Said he has spoken with Ralph Wilson and the Bills and claimed there would e interest in it but wouldn't speak for the Bills. Someone kept asking te same questions and in different forms to try and get him to answer but he just kept saying "ask the Bills what they think". I know Mike Schoop was pissed about that part when I heard him on the radio but I sure didn't see him there or anyone else from WGR so if he claims to know the context he's FOS. Schumer was in the right there. Not sure who the reporter was but he wouldn't shut up. Was actually annoying and I think Chris Brown and Murph were even clammorong over what an issue it was. Couldn't tell though.

As far as the other teams in the league and Goodells thoughts in this he said it was welcomed as an idea and could help teams. Didn't say the Bills would fake advantage of this but did say he felt they were for the proposal.

As far as the $25-$50m that would have to be paid back for punishment is a false. The way the contract/amendment/whatever you call it is/was writen was so that the NFL and the team involved would come to a one to one match agreement on borrowed funds STARTING AT $25M. He did say it could be more. So for example if the Bills needed $200m for renovations the Bills would pay $100m and the league would front the remaining $100m on a 15 year loan. The money fyat would be paid back to the NFL over 15 years would come out of the visiting teams money that goes right back to the NFL anyway. (not sure of all that but it's kind of how he explained it). And said there would be an "ironclad" agreement that if any team was moved they would have to pay all that money up front. Now if that's only $25m that's not a big deal really if your paying $1B for a team but if the Bills borrowed and had to pay back $200m that might add to the costs of not only buying the team, paying for the new stadium wherever they were to move to and then the moving expenses added to that.

That's what I got. Hope you all enjoyed my story.

Edited by mrags

I've already stated I meant to type 3/4 Billion. Mistake on my part. And after doing some reserch with the help of Wiki. I have found that the average price of a stadium to be built in the league in 2012 dollars would probably be over $500m. At that same time I noticed quite a few under and well under that paycheck and I would be completely ok with it. I will conceed that there is no need for a billion dollar stadium in the area. $500m would probably be needed however to add shops, stores, probably some kind of transportation and such. Would be worth it and I happen to agree with you after looking at a few really nice fields for under $500m.

In regards to the topic at hand. I went to RWS today. Had a whole big post writen up about how the Bills security wouldn't let me into the lots or had no idea what I was talking about (or at least claimed to have no clue). It seemed like they were being very secretive about who wa allowed there. At one point he asked me who I worked for. I almost said I was an official writer for TBD.com lol. Right after I tried to post this my phone died and Apparently an AT&T tower went out at that time. So that's why your getting all this now. After a recharge and a fix of the tower apparently.

In the end, I parked my car over by the terrorist grocery store (triple k I think) and walked over to the stadium. They were right in front at the limo lot with the RWS sign in the background. Schumer was late so that might be the reason why some of you got feed problems. Was just a bunch of news reporters standing around. I was generally out of place with my blue nikes, cargo shorts and "Property of Buffalo Bills" shirt on but some guy with a suit who looked important to the debacle asked me if I worked for WGR (which really made me laugh if that's what they expect our of a professional media outlet like WGR). I declined, said no, but I could probably do a better job than WGR if it gets me anything special. He laughed and walked on. John Mirphy and Chris Brown came our an I stood right next to them for the interview so if it's on TV that's me right next to Murphy with the black shades with blue lenses ad a shaved head.

On to the performance from Schumer. It's the G4 he was talking about. Said he has spoken with Ralph Wilson and the Bills and claimed there would e interest in it but wouldn't speak for the Bills. Someone kept asking te same questions and in different forms to try and get him to answer but he just kept saying "ask the Bills what they think". I know Mike Schoop was pissed about that part when I heard him on the radio but I sure didn't see him there or anyone else from WGR so if he claims to know the context he's FOS. Schumer was in the right there. Not sure who the reporter was but he wouldn't shut up. Was actually annoying and I think Chris Brown and Murph were even clammorong over what an issue it was. Couldn't tell though.

As far as the other teams in the league and Goodells thoughts in this he said it was welcomed as an idea and could help teams. Didn't say the Bills would fake advantage of this but did say he felt they were for the proposal.

As far as the $25-$50m that would have to be paid back for punishment is a false. The way the contract/amendment/whatever you call it is/was writen was so that the NFL and the team involved would come to a one to one match agreement on borrowed funds STARTING AT $25M. He did say it could be more. So for example if the Bills needed $200m for renovations the Bills would pay $100m and the league would front the remaining $100m on a 15 year loan. The money fyat would be paid back to the NFL over 15 years would come out of the visiting teams money that goes right back to the NFL anyway. (not sure of all that but it's kind of how he explained it). And said there would be an "ironclad" agreement that if any team was moved they would have to pay all that money up front. Now if that's only $25m that's not a big deal really if your paying $1B for a team but if the Bills borrowed and had to pay back $200m that might add to the costs of not only buying the team, paying for the new stadium wherever they were to move to and then the moving expenses added to that.

That's what I got. Hope you all enjoyed my story.

Funny stuff! :thumbsup:

The annoying reporter was Dave McKinley from Channel 2. He's really trying to make a name for himself by "asking the tough questions," but more often than not he just seems like a smart ass.

I was really hoping for something more substantial than a "plan" that was really more of a "plea."

Poloncarz was on the news saying that Schumer's presser might not help negotiations, but certainly wouldn't hurt. It probably won't impact the negotiations themselves, but they could make Poloncarz look bad if the lease does include substantial taxpayer contributions considering Schumer just made it seem as if a lease could be done without taxpayer contributions. I'm not saying it can't be done w/o taxpayer $, but it would make Poloncarz appear weak to some for not forcing the Bills to take advantage of the amended G4 program if in fact it becomes amended.

Edited by uncle flap

The annoying reporter was Dave McKinley from Channel 2. He's really trying to make a name for himself by "asking the tough questions," but more often than not he just seems like a smart ass.

I was really hoping for something more substantial than a "plan" that was really more of a "plea."

Poloncarz was on the news saying that Schumer's presser might not help negotiations, but certainly wouldn't hurt. It probably won't impact the negotiations themselves, but they could make Poloncarz look bad if the lease does include substantial taxpayer contributions considering Schumer just made it seem as if a lease could be done without taxpayer contributions. I'm not saying it can't be done w/o taxpayer $, but it would make Poloncarz appear weak to some for not forcing the Bills to take advantage of the amended G4 program if in fact it becomes amended.

Shumer is trying to steer the negotiation by lobbing some firecrackers. By putting this out there it's now part of the dialogue and hard to walk back.

PTR

All I know I feel a whole lot worse that the Bills have any kind of future in Buffalo than I had before. Thanks Chuck for your worthless informatiom. Please don't waste your time or mine you pile of pig something else.

Edited by shadowcat10

thanks Flap. Dave was def the reporter. Were youvthere or did you just see on TV or hear somewhere? I didn't think there was any other fans there. Although you could have been the guy wearing black shirt I think and driving the Audi TT that I passed on my way out.

thanks Flap. Dave was def the reporter. Were youvthere or did you just see on TV or hear somewhere? I didn't think there was any other fans there. Although you could have been the guy wearing black shirt I think and driving the Audi TT that I passed on my way out.

No, that wasn't me. I drive a BMW :devil:

JK, I drive a POS that's about to get traded in, and I was at work then and just saw the recap on the news later. But even if I didn't I would've guessed it was McKinley.

No, that wasn't me. I drive a BMW :devil:

JK, I drive a POS that's about to get traded in, and I was at work then and just saw the recap on the news later. But even if I didn't I would've guessed it was McKinley.

are you Skoobys neighbor???

Yeah, McKinley was pretty annoying. Like I said, Murph and Brown were whispering something to one another, giving each other looks like "STFU already" then whispering again and kind of laughing a little.

Overall it was a funny experience with the secretive acts of Bills Staff at the gates and the guy that thought I was with WGR.