Is there room for Roosevelt?

My son went to the Jim Kelly camp and there is a part during the day when there is a 'chalk talk' where Fitzpatrick spoke. According to him, Roosevelt is one of the hardest working players on the team. He studies the playbook, game film, and works hard on the field and does not take playing in the NFL for granted at all. He made some good plays for us last year, he seems to be able to find the hole in the defense, and has good hands. From the videos I have seen, he looks good, but that is a tough gauge.

Buddy Nix said that this is the first year where we will actually have guys that will be cut that should be picked up by other teams. I wasn't sure if Roosevelt was going to be one of them.

Honestly, he will be hard pressed to get a real shot. I hope he proves me wrong but he's likely the type that hangs around and in injury we keep him on a list to call.

What will be especially tough is UB and the bills just don't have the coaching network around the league to have someone say "I know and trust this guy from my time working with him in buffalo more than I trust our current PS receiver that has experience in our system" and with receivers Every team has these developmental guys that hang around. He just doesn't have that unique quality that will seperate him. He will need a stellar preseason to make a 53 for week 1.

Because of his hard work I expect him to make the practice squad if he doesn't edge someone out for a roster spot. Would be good for the coaches to get one full year of Easley, Hagan and Jones. If any one of these guys messes up, gets injured (again) or shows no improvement I'd expect Namaan to get a shot.

My son went to the Jim Kelly camp and there is a part during the day when there is a 'chalk talk' where Fitzpatrick spoke. According to him, Roosevelt is one of the hardest working players on the team. He studies the playbook, game film, and works hard on the field and does not take playing in the NFL for granted at all. He made some good plays for us last year, he seems to be able to find the hole in the defense, and has good hands. From the videos I have seen, he looks good, but that is a tough gauge.

Buddy Nix said that this is the first year where we will actually have guys that will be cut that should be picked up by other teams. I wasn't sure if Roosevelt was going to be one of them.

Naaman is all that Fitzpatrick said he's been. Good kid, and consistently makes plays out there in practice.

but, and i think you might have saw this coming, i'm not entirely sure if he makes this team. he's on the bubble at best, and i was just talking about this on the sideline after Roosevelt made a good catch at practice today. he's behind Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, T.J. Graham and Derek Hagan and Brad Smith. that leaves potentially one spot open if the Bills elect to keep seven receivers (including Brad Smith), which at this moment leaves it a competition between in what as I see as currently being this order, Marcus Easley, Roosevelt and David Clowney.

jw

I dont think he sticks, I think he is a great guy and he works really hard, but he just isnt talented enough to be an nfl receiver. If we want to be a great team we cant hold onto a player like that.

:thumbdown: He may not be star quality but I think he definitely can make an NFL roster and contribute to a team. He might not be on a great squad of receivers but guys who can hold onto the ball over the middle and in short yardage situations are rare and have value.

Would love to see him stick with the Bills but think there is too much talent now.

Naaman is all that Fitzpatrick said he's been. Good kid, and consistently makes plays out there in practice.

but, and i think you might have saw this coming, i'm not entirely sure if he makes this team. he's on the bubble at best, and i was just talking about this on the sideline after Roosevelt made a good catch at practice today. he's behind Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, T.J. Graham and Derek Hagan and Brad Smith. that leaves potentially one spot open if the Bills elect to keep seven receivers (including Brad Smith), which at this moment leaves it a competition between in what as I see as currently being this order, Marcus Easley, Roosevelt and David Clowney.

jw

Thanks for the insight, jw. I have to think they'll keep seven receivers this year (including Smith), but if Easley continues to play well, it's almost certainly him over Namaan. Shame, but maybe he'll get a spot on the PS.

I don't believe Naaman is PS eligible any more. I do think if cut he gets picked up by another team. I'm just praying it's not the Patriots. Naaman is the kind of player that doesn't look like a stud in practice but makes plays in games when it counts.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It is a shame, but it's the reality of the game. He did look good in practice on Thursday, with a nice grab or two. I have no doubt he'll catch on somewhere if not here. I just love that some SUNY alumni have been able to make it to the nfl and contribute. (Also thinking of James Starks.)

I've been (annoyingly to some of you) his biggest fan and proponent since the Bills signed him.

That being said, I don't believe he makes this team, although I do believe he is NFL quality and could really help one of the teams in this league.

Man, what if ends up in Green Bay with Starks!

:w00t:

NR was active for 10 games last yer and 6 in 2010, so he is not PS-eligible.

He seems like a good kid and dependable tough not spectacular. Barring injury, I don't see how he makes the team this year, but agree he's the first to get a call if we start losing receivers during the season.

Also, I just don't see NR in the camp reports this year like I did last year. It seemed like he was catching everything while the others were finding their legs. This year he's been more of a footnote, if mentioned at all.

He will catch on somewhere. There are some absolutely putrid WR corps out there - St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville come to mind.

what is tough is those teams will have guys that are similarly talented but spent all off season learning the system, building relationships. the reason most are putrid is they dont have those #1, 2 or 3 guys locked down. Theres no shortage of guys that fall into that #5, 6, or 7 mold though. It will likely take some injuries or luck to catch on anywhere unless he REALLY shines in his chances during pre-season and just get stuck in the numbers game.

there are just so many guys with similar skill sets that he will really have to have shown hes upped his game to get real attention.

Because of his hard work I expect him to make the practice squad if he doesn't edge someone out for a roster spot.

mrags, he's not PS eligible. This is his third season and he was active for too many games last year.

I've noticed a couple reports that he's been returning punts. He seems to go hard on ST and I'm wondering if he might win a roster spot based on ST ability if he makes good at the punt returns.

If we cut him, I bet Sexy Rexy or the Dolphins snap him up hoping to shake our playbook out of his head.