8/1 Camp Report (from Buffalo Rumblings)

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/8/1/3214271/wednesday-night-practice-the-prince-miller-show

"Having read several pieces about how Chan Gailey is disappointed with Glenn, and having praised Glenn a lot in my Sunday report, I figured I should train my binocs on him a lot again tonight to see if I need to walk back my former assessment. Glenn did get screamed at by his coach at one point, although I couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. All I know is that when I was watching him no one got by him. Chris Kelsay, Mark Anderson and Merrman kept alternating with each other the whole evening, and Glenn held all of them off. Anderson seemed to give him the most trouble, causing him to back up and shuffle his feet quickly to stay in control, but Anderson never came close to Fitzpatrick while Glenn was on him. If that's a mediocre performance, I would love to see a good one.

Glenn was also a beast in the running game. On one play he took out two defenders, holding off Merriman and then whirling to knock Kyle Williams off the field. Another run-block caused me and the guy sitting next to me to gasp in unison as Glenn pancaked Stephon Gilmore out of bounds to spring Spiller for a big gain.

The other tackle who impressed tonight was Sam Young, who was up against Mario Williams and in general kept him in check except for one likely sack.

There was a request after my Sunday report to check out Mark Asper and Michael Jasper. Both are playing with the threes - Jasper at right guard and Asper at center. Both essentially look lost . The practice squad seems likely for both."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/8/1/3214271/wednesday-night-practice-the-prince-miller-show

"Having read several pieces about how Chan Gailey is disappointed with Glenn, and having praised Glenn a lot in my Sunday report, I figured I should train my binocs on him a lot again tonight to see if I need to walk back my former assessment. Glenn did get screamed at by his coach at one point, although I couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. All I know is that when I was watching him no one got by him. Chris Kelsay, Mark Anderson and Merrman kept alternating with each other the whole evening, and Glenn held all of them off. Anderson seemed to give him the most trouble, causing him to back up and shuffle his feet quickly to stay in control, but Anderson never came close to Fitzpatrick while Glenn was on him. If that's a mediocre performance, I would love to see a good one.

Glenn was also a beast in the running game. On one play he took out two defenders, holding off Merriman and then whirling to knock Kyle Williams off the field. Another run-block caused me and the guy sitting next to me to gasp in unison as Glenn pancaked Stephon Gilmore out of bounds to spring Spiller for a big gain.

The other tackle who impressed tonight was Sam Young, who was up against Mario Williams and in general kept him in check except for one likely sack.

There was a request after my Sunday report to check out Mark Asper and Michael Jasper. Both are playing with the threes - Jasper at right guard and Asper at center. Both essentially look lost . The practice squad seems likely for both."

:worthy: THANKS SO MUCH!

The coaches are probably tough on Glenn because they were told that is how you motivate him. These coaches talk to the players college coaches and find out how he was best motivated. Glenn was a guy at Georgia that always rose to the challenge. He played every position on OL and got switched to LT his senior year because that was where he was needed. Sounds to me like the Bills coaches know he is one you can give some 'tough love' to and he will answer the call.

The Bills also are making him understand that he is going to be asked to play a very important position this year as a rookie. Teams are going to be going after him early to see what he has got. The Bills staff is trying to get him as ready as possible for whats coming Sundays this fall.

The coaches are probably tough on Glenn because they were told that is how you motivate him. These coaches talk to the players college coaches and find out how he was best motivated. Glenn was a guy at Georgia that always rose to the challenge. He played every position on OL and got switched to LT his senior year because that was where he was needed. Sounds to me like the Bills coaches know he is one you can give some 'tough love' to and he will answer the call.

The Bills also are making him understand that he is going to be asked to play a very important position this year as a rookie. Teams are going to be going after him early to see what he has got. The Bills staff is trying to get him as ready as possible for whats coming Sundays this fall.

exactly.

Cordy Glenn.... The second coming of Howard "House" Ballard.

Good to hear that the coaches are keeping on him. If he looks pretty good, and they want more, it means the kid's ceiling must be pretty damned high and they're going to push him to get there.

I wouldnt make too much of the coaches screaming at Glenn.....

When I was coaching offensive line it wasnt just about them doing their job it was about pushing them so that they actually reach their ceiling of potential.

Nix saw that Pro Bowl LT he had down in San Diego in Cordy Glenn.....if that is the case then it will not be good enough for him to just go out there and hold his own.....they need to push him to continue to improve and learn how to be dominant consistantly......

Personally? I think OL is just fine.....I like both Glenn and Hairston (who I am told made a committment to actually come into camp in shape this year) and thing they are both huge long armed naturally strong quick for their feet athletes.

And I still say that when its all said and done....Glenn at LT and Hairston at RT...with Pears either getting cut for not being able to stay healthy or moved to the swing OT position to back the youngsters up.

OK these reports need to STOP IMMEDIATELY! they are way to positive, optimistic and hopeful....i am getting far to jacked for the season to start....please cease and desist now!!!!

nice work though!

I wouldnt make too much of the coaches screaming at Glenn.....

When I was coaching offensive line it wasnt just about them doing their job it was about pushing them so that they actually reach their ceiling of potential.

Nix saw that Pro Bowl LT he had down in San Diego in Cordy Glenn.....if that is the case then it will not be good enough for him to just go out there and hold his own.....they need to push him to continue to improve and learn how to be dominant consistantly......

Personally? I think OL is just fine.....I like both Glenn and Hairston (who I am told made a committment to actually come into camp in shape this year) and thing they are both huge long armed naturally strong quick for their feet athletes.

And I still say that when its all said and done....Glenn at LT and Hairston at RT...with Pears either getting cut for not being able to stay healthy or moved to the swing OT position to back the youngsters up.

I defenately agree with Glenn at LT and Hairston at RT when all is said and done. Not sure if it will happen to start the season but I expect it to happen by mid season. And I love the thought of it.

I defenately agree with Glenn at LT and Hairston at RT when all is said and done. Not sure if it will happen to start the season but I expect it to happen by mid season. And I love the thought of it.

this is what i have been thinking about. if i am not wrong, aren't both of these guys big, long arm guys with good power? be nice to have one on each side, no?

These two might be long term solutions and the book ends. I am Hairston fan, but think very highly of the awesome C Glenn regardless of the draft steal.

But i wish they wouldn't yell at Cordy. Unless they are giving him cookies/treats after a good practice.

Yes the offensive line is starting to shape up albeit slowly. and we really might have something here. And if E.Wood continues to solidify his condition...

thanks for the focus in on Cordy, He is a darn good kid.

Edited by 3rdand12

The Bills brass is probably expecting Glenn to be a better player than House Ballard.

Me and everyone else loved House but he was abused by Charles Haley in the Super Bowl and generally had a hard time with speed rushers.

It was heartening to see Glenn dominate LSU's two fine edge rushers in the SEC Championship Game.

That performance gave me tons of confidence that Glenn can handle LOT and was a big reason why I was touting him in the run-up to the draft.

BTW, did you know that Fred Jackson runs like Marcus Allen?

well SJBF, the offensive lines are certainly getting trained/schooled/educated by some very seriously defensive lineman.

gotta be a little intimidating for Glenn and even Hairston.

all the better for it i hope.

The Bills brass is probably expecting Glenn to be a better player than House Ballard.

Me and everyone else loved House but he was abused by Charles Haley in the Super Bowl and generally had a hard time with speed rushers.

It was heartening to see Glenn dominate LSU's two fine edge rushers in the SEC Championship Game.

That performance gave me tons of confidence that Glenn can handle LOT and was a big reason why I was touting him in the run-up to the draft.

The best thing about that performance is that it verified the season-long trajectory Glenn was on with regard to playing LT. He'd never played it before they stuck him there to start the season and he struggled. But he got better each week and had his best games against the best competition at the end of the season. He's gonna be a good one and he couldn't ask for a better learning situation than what he's getting at camp in the form of Merriman, Anderson, et al.

GO BILLS!!!

Since Glenn sucks, that must mean Kelsay, Anderson and Merriman REALLY suck!

We are truly BillsFanOne! :ph34r:

Good to hear that the coaches are keeping on him. If he looks pretty good, and they want more, it means the kid's ceiling must be pretty damned high and they're going to push him to get there.

I hope not. Ballard was a Right Tackle.

Yes, all that's true. One other thing of ignominious note. It was Ballard who whiffed a block on an edge rusher who got to and nailed Kelly. IIRC knocking him out of the game.

In his post game conference he threw Ballard under the bus, which prompted Thurman to say in a subsequent interview that week, that The Bills were "weakest" at the QB position.

So please, let Cordy Glenn be much better - and this squad be much better than House Ballard's squads.

These could be the good old days. :beer: