Penn State sanctions handed down

ACor58

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Brooks on Twitter: "They will leave the Joe Paterno statue up but they're going to have him look the other way."

Thought that summed up a lot.

He went from 409 victories to 298 and from all-time winningest coach to #12 (from the SI article linked above). Bobby Bowden is happy, anyway. The school loses 10 football scholarships.

kj

I must say, everyone loses and has lost from this.

The only people you feel bad for due to today's decision is kids playing there now and the fans.

Paterno was punished by having his 111 wins vacated from 1998 till he retired. I think you will start seeing many publications dropping his total to 298, with no asterick.

Players are allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year. Penn State football is dead.

I didn't see that in the linked article; is that for real?

OK, I found it in the NYTimes article. It may not be dead, but it's definitely going to be in hibernation for 4 years and another 4 years or so before it could build back up to a top program

Edited by Hopeful

Agreed. The NCAA has shown there is no offense severe enough for the death penalty anymore. SMU would get a slap on the wrist today.

PTR

I think it is pretty severe, and its' implications would seem to be far more lingering than a death penalty. Don't forget, Penn State is also being fined 60 million dollars, which is to go to victims of child sexual abuse. That is the equivalant of one years' income that the football program typically pulls in.

I relize, you can't put a dollar amount on the damage done here for those kids, but that is a huge amount of money that will affect the entire university...its' students (not just student athletes)... This was obviously a very unusual case, the cover-up, by a handful of men, went beyond just the football program.

Edited by Buftex

Agreed. The NCAA has shown there is no offense severe enough for the death penalty anymore. SMU would get a slap on the wrist today.

PTR

well, with regards to the death penalty

a) requires a school to already be on probation i believe(atleast i heard that over the weekend, but cant source it)

b) the ncaa is supposed to legislate fairness and safety and protect the "sanctity" of the student athlete - and this actually falls a bit outside their standard practices.

Oooooo. No postseason. We won;t be thrilled by Penn State in the "Ticket City Bowl", the "Outback Bowl" or the Capital One Bowl".

Big deal.. This team became irrelevant some time ago.

What's with the 60 million fine? Where does that go?

Oooooo. No postseason. We won;t be thrilled by Penn State in the "Ticket City Bowl", the "Outback Bowl" or the Capital One Bowl".

- Agreed, but they still sold out every game and still played games in primetime.

- The money is put into an endowment fund for victims of sexual abuse.

fine to start a childrens abuse fund.

and the bowls arent about you missing out - its about no recruit having a shot at a championship and no bowl money flowing into the school.

I am not a Penn State fan, I am not a Joe Paterno fan. Joe Paterno did not molest any children, Jerry Sandusky did. Joe Paterno was not convicted of a crime! Jerry Sandusky was. This is above and beyond the NCAA's business, Sports. They are not a court of law!

I'm pleasantly surprised the NCAA is showing some teeth on this, even if it's not the "death penalty" per se. Though maybe it might as well be. SMU was only shut down one year, and it critically impacted that program and even their conference for years, some would say even to this day. Though obviously the B1G will probably be fine as a conference. It will be interesting to watch what happens to the program, that's for sure. Part of me is glad to see punishment meted out, but part of me also wants to see that once-proud program rebuilt.

And hopefully will serve as a warning to any other program that may ever come across any internal transgressions they feel is worth covering up.

I am not a Penn State fan, I am not a Joe Paterno fan. Joe Paterno did not molest any children, Jerry Sandusky did. Joe Paterno was not convicted of a crime! Jerry Sandusky was. This is above and beyond the NCAA's business, Sports. They are not a court of law!

well, as much as i dont think it was the ncaa's place to weigh in on this one - i will point out that joe paterno, if alive - likely had some issues coming his way based on sworn statements he made. didnt the freeh report show he at the very least stretched the truth hugely within the investigation?