Chris Berman sucks

major

I'm an airline Captain and a few years ago I ran into Chris at LAX (Los Angeles). I was in uniform and walked up to him to shake his hand. There were a few people around him. I immediately whipped out my Buffalo Bills moneyclip from my pocket, and he beamed! He put his back to the people around him and put his arm around me and we walked a few steps: "you're the 3rd one I've met this week!" He then added (the draft just ended and I told him I didn't like the Spiller pick): "Ralph Wilson needs him, because the Bills have gotten boring. It's a stretch pick but he can play and if used correctly, will light it up."

We chatted more in general terms and he told me he talks to Jim Kelly all the time. He used the phrase "our Bills" when we talked and I sensed he meant it.

Now that Tim Russert is gone Chris Berman is the Bills #1 national fan. I will never diss him on this board.

Mike

^ This!! How could you not like him. He's an everyday Bills fan just like us. He said "our Bills"!!!! I could listen to him call a play by play of my mother in a bukkake video :thumbsup: To say anything other is treason!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berman will (and should) always be remembered fondly by Bills fans. He has been a true fan since the late 80s, and one of the few (only?) national guys who tries to keep the Bills relevant. He was a trailblazer with the goofy nicknames -- in my college years you were considered completely out of it if you couldn't recite Berman's monikers for the stars of professional sports. Bert "be home" Blyleven? Come on, that stuff was gold.

Yes, his schtick has become old and tired, but that happens to everyone. He still clearly loves doing what he does, and to say Marshall Faulk or Warren Sapp are more worthy of our attention is a joke. Rich Eisen is too "schticky" for my liking as well.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of young punks share the OP's opinion...so be it.

Edited by eball

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I like Berman. You know how you go to the same dry cleaner for years because your comfortable with the place, how they starch your shirts, etc. I know what I get with Berman. He is going to be so positive about the Bills this year especially if we start winning early. Don't all of you want on the #1 NFL pre game show a positive voice for the Bills each week.

C'mon you can't tell me some of you look forward to hearing the old phrase "no one circles the wagons" and Berman can't wait to say it. I agree with everyone he should stick to the pre and post game shows with good talent around him. It will most likely be painful hearing him as a color analyst for one of the MNF game.

Major needs to understand that Chris Berman is an entertainer. The host.Although he does have a good knowledge base, he has the "experts" around and next to him so he can defer to them. I've always liked his "shtick". The fact he carries the Bills flag nationally makes him even better.I will always remember fondly tuning in at 7 on Sunday nights to watch him and Tom Jackson on Primetime. You don't like him? fine. Don't watch.

:thumbdown:

Edited by BBILL12

No Real Bills fan would ever say Berman flat out sucks! You can be tired of his schtick or whatever you want, but for what he has done for the Bills, numerous charities, including Hunter's Hope year after year, he will always be liked in my book. Without Berman, ESPN might be gone by now, he was one of the pillars of that station and probably the most famous it has ever had. I don't think even in his prime, he carried a "serious" personality, he has always had some humor, often about himself. About 20 or so years ago, when I started mailing cards out to players to get autographed, I thought I would take a shot and mail a Chris Berman card to ESPN. Not only did the card come back quickly and signed, he typed a letter to me, thanking me for watching and that he hoped I wouldn't use the card on my dart board. The OP needs to get a life, people who let little things disturb the evolution of their life like this have issues.

Sure, it was good natured. I'm glad he didn't treat Berman the way Berman treats others (watch): youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

I've always been a Berman fan. Always will be a Berman fan. And this video (first time I've ever seen it) makes me like him twice as much as I did two minutes ago.

As I said earlier, you watch this video and still say Berman sucks or what ever derogatory term you prefer, you are not a Bills fan-period!

So ... just for clarity ... if Bills fan A does not like Bills fan B, then Bills fan A is not really a Bills fan?

I'm an airline Captain and a few years ago I ran into Chris at LAX (Los Angeles). I was in uniform and walked up to him to shake his hand. There were a few people around him. I immediately whipped out my Buffalo Bills moneyclip from my pocket, and he beamed! He put his back to the people around him and put his arm around me and we walked a few steps: "you're the 3rd one I've met this week!" He then added (the draft just ended and I told him I didn't like the Spiller pick): "Ralph Wilson needs him, because the Bills have gotten boring. It's a stretch pick but he can play and if used correctly, will light it up."

We chatted more in general terms and he told me he talks to Jim Kelly all the time. He used the phrase "our Bills" when we talked and I sensed he meant it.

Now that Tim Russert is gone Chris Berman is the Bills #1 national fan. I will never diss him on this board.

Mike

Jeez, I almost forgot (and don't think it's been mentioned on the thread):

Ralph Wilson asked Chris Berman to induct him in the Hall of Fame! What does that say about Chris Berman & the Bills? If that's not enough then just go ahead and hate him because short of putting on a uniform and throwing 50 Bills TD passes he will never be good enough....

Mike

Ever notice that almost every time that Berman says -- "He. Could. Go. All. The. Way." -- the guy goes all the way? Shouldn't it be "he should go all the way?". I mean, after 8347 times, it looks like a trend.

Actually a lot of times they don't go all the way...he says it for when they score and when they don't make it.

Boomer rules prefer him over anyone ever doing the Sunday night highlights...I think this thread should be titled the HR derby sucks....Boomers nicknames are the best. I wouldn't hold a boring irrelevant Tuesday nite against

boomer

And remember NO ONE CIRCLES THE WAGONS LIKE THE BILLS. :thumbdown: To this boomer bashing.

I wouldn't say that Berman sucks. That's a bit harsh. Too crude to be true. He needs to polish up his schtick, but I like him.

Methinks that if you want a group that really sucks, you should look no further than the abomination that CBS puts on the air every Sunday during football season. "Boomer" the wimp Esiason, Dan crybaby Marino (can this guy let his hatred of the Bills go already?), "The Chin" Cowher, and the worst violator, the mouth from the south, the one who I'm surprised doesn't need a bib for how much he slobbers when he talks...none other than Shannon Sharpe. With most Bills games being on CBS, I turn on FOX or ESPN to AVOID these baffoons. I don't know what James Brown was thinking, but the CBS pregame show has ALWAYS sucked, he's the only class on CBS. But it is horrible with Marino, Esiason, Cowher, and Sharpe. A complete group of unwatchable morons that laugh at each others unfunny jokes.

The ESPN pregame show is my favorite, and I think that Berman, Ditka, and Tom Jackson (LOVE this guy!) rule. Keyshawn is OK, and Cris Carter always annoys me for some reason- he strikes me as arrogant- otherwise they are bang up. Insightful, nice graphics, interviews, etc.

FOX is 2nd to me, and they have a great group (except for the guy expected to fill in for the great James Brown). Howie Long is one cool hombre, IMO, Strahan is engaging and entertaining, Bradshaw is biased but fun, and as much as I hate Jimmy Johnson I respect the man and can listen to his knowledge and experience much more than I can get over my disdain for anything Marino.

My second football broadcasting peeve: why can't any of the networks hire a smokin' hot girl to do reporting? One that's actually watchable? The ones they have now are either too old, too heavy, or just plain boring. And all of the networks are guilty. Lesley Visser? The one on FOX? The old, blonde one on CBS? Suze Kolber is cute and likeable, but cute is not HOT!

Jenn Sterger is smokin', but she reeks of total dirt-bag after the Favre fiasco.

Jillian Reynolds/ Barberie is extremely easy on the eyes...but she seems like she'd get annoying after listening to her talk for too long.

Give me Jenn Sterger without the desperate cry for career grab and I'm sold!

I quit reading after seeing "Methinks."

I love the pro-Chris Berman momentum this thread gained since yesterday. Anyone who came up with following nicknames:

Ben "Winter" Coates

Eric "Sleeping With" Bienemy

Carl "Slim" Pickens

"Thermal" Thomas

"Commander" Cody Carlson

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

Vincent "Ultimate" Brisby

Natrone "Refried" Means

Rickey "Running" Watters

is alright with me.

Not to mention- and not to pull out the "Uncle Metz" card to the youngsters on the board (I'm 33)- but when I was a kid and Primetime debuted as a show back in the day, it was the best hour of the whole week. You didn't have the access to highlights like you do now. If the Bucs played the Cardinals earlier in the day, you still haven't even seen what that game looks like until 7 PM EST. Not to mention (and here's my biggest claim to fame), I was doing fantasy football as early as 1991 and back then you had to scrap for whatever stats you could get before the next morning when you got to look at the USA Today in school, so Primetime was a great source to see what at least some of your guys did. Chris Berman is the man and the dude is way old school, put your TV on mute during the HR derby. Peace, Metz

He might be played out, but he certainly did a lot for sports news and football recaps.

Does anyone remember how boring and unhumourous sports highlights used to be? All the announcers took it all so seriously... It was dull, dry and boring. Now it's a lot better, and he was a sure part of that revolution.

It probably is time for him to gracefully back away and let the next generation usher in some fresh approaches and ideas..

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

^ This!! How could you not like him. He's an everyday Bills fan just like us. He said "our Bills"!!!! I could listen to him call a play by play of my mother in a bukkake video :thumbsup: To say anything other is treason!

SHUT IT DOWN! TURN OFF THE LIGHTS WHEN YOU LEAVE!!! BEST COMMENT EVER!!! Think about the actual commentary and what he would be saying let alone the nicknames :lol::w00t: :w00t:

I hope you don't mind but it's going in my sig.