"God particle" confirmed by physicists

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Here's a crazy thought; instead of spending billions of dollars and wasting time on finding a dumb particle, you work on a cure for cancer! :blink:

I think someone is working on the cancer thing.

PTR

Hey! Here's a crazy thought; instead of spending billions of dollars and wasting time on finding a dumb particle, you work on a cure for cancer! :blink:

Because there's nothing beneficial to learn from studying the origin of the universe...

As my HS physics teacher always used to say, "Yeah - most of the stuff we study isn't ever going to get you better toothpaste...."

You're right. Those physicists haven't done a damn thing for cancer treatment! Though I believe they're working on a cure for spherical chickens in a vacuum.

??

So all scientific resources, spanning all scientific disciplines should go to...cancer?

call me crazy but an organization called European Organization for Nuclear Research and abbreviates it as CERN doesn't hold much credibility :thumbdown:

English snob...

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/About/Name-en.html

The name is derived from the acronym for the French Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire

LINK

Still not entirely clear how the Higgs Boson works but it's supposed to impart mass, essentially making the universe matter. :lol:

PTR

Cool.

Basically...in modern physics, every physical property can be represented by a "field", that itself consists of "gauge particles" that mediate the effect of the field. Most well-known example is an electric field: two electrically charge particles feel a force from each other that's actually the recoil from a photon exchange (particle one spits out a photon, recoils in the opposite direction. Particle two receives the photon, recoils in the direction it came from. Analogous to you and me standing on skateboards, and I throw a bowling ball at you and you catch it). So the photon mediates the electromagnetic field. (And yes, my explanation isn't perfect - the "gauge" photons are "virtual", not real, and particles can recoil in all sorts of weird directions. But it's close enough, trust me.)

The Higgs boson does basically the same thing for whatever field causes "mass". For a particle to have "mass", it has to exchange Higgs bosons with the "mass field" (in this case, it's easier to think of it as the field "reaching out" and grabbing whatever particle has mass. The field "reaches out" with the Higgs boson.) And again, the Higgs boson is "virtual" (i.e. doesn't really exist), until you smash **** together at high enough energies to "make it real".

If you want any better an explanation than that...there's some books by Feynman that are decent (search Amazon for "Feynman QED".) But it's a really weird, counter-intuitive field...that makes perfect sense to me, which probably says a lot about why I am who I am. :wacko:

Haven't heard of Chemotherapy or radiation treatments huh?

Medical imaging (ANY medical imaging), microsurgery...

Well, they have gotten a piece of metal visible to the naked eye to be in two places at once (behave quantumly), so in the next 10-20 years should yield a lot of new insights.

BTW, with regards to cancer, it's easy to reduce cancer levels. Reduce cancer levels by approximately 30% by eliminating smoking. Reduce cancer rates another 10 to 15% by eliminating processed foods. There you go. You don't even need to prove the God Particle to do that.

Cool.

Basically...in modern physics, every physical property can be represented by a "field", that itself consists of "gauge particles" that mediate the effect of the field. Most well-known example is an electric field: two electrically charge particles feel a force from each other that's actually the recoil from a photon exchange (particle one spits out a photon, recoils in the opposite direction. Particle two receives the photon, recoils in the direction it came from. Analogous to you and me standing on skateboards, and I throw a bowling ball at you and you catch it). So the photon mediates the electromagnetic field. (And yes, my explanation isn't perfect - the "gauge" photons are "virtual", not real, and particles can recoil in all sorts of weird directions. But it's close enough, trust me.)

The Higgs boson does basically the same thing for whatever field causes "mass". For a particle to have "mass", it has to exchange Higgs bosons with the "mass field" (in this case, it's easier to think of it as the field "reaching out" and grabbing whatever particle has mass. The field "reaches out" with the Higgs boson.) And again, the Higgs boson is "virtual" (i.e. doesn't really exist), until you smash **** together at high enough energies to "make it real".

If you want any better an explanation than that...there's some books by Feynman that are decent (search Amazon for "Feynman QED".) But it's a really weird, counter-intuitive field...that makes perfect sense to me, which probably says a lot about why I am who I am. :wacko:

Medical imaging (ANY medical imaging), microsurgery...

My entire idea for a Science section of the board is primarily to get more posts like this out of you. Thank You.