"God particle" confirmed by physicists

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think I came up with that idea on my own, too. By Schroedinger's quantum formalism, the existence of the universe requires something to observe it.

As good an argument for God as any, frankly. Too bad Schroedinger's ideas were basically a dead end.

Your ideas pre date Schroedinger's [1887- 1961]? How old are you?

Your ideas pre date Schroedinger's [1887- 1961]? How old are you?

I don't even know how you think I implied that.

But of course, since time is relative, it's entirely possible my ideas predate Schroedinger's despite my being younger than him.

Actually, I think I came up with that idea on my own, too. By Schroedinger's quantum formalism, the existence of the universe requires something to observe it.

As good an argument for God as any, frankly. Too bad Schroedinger's ideas were basically a dead end.

Here. And I am still waiting for your explanation of why gravity equals mass resisting inertia.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

So all we get out of this crap is a new event at the X games? A mash up of skateboarding and bowling? That is not worth the money and won't pull ratings IMO.

Not only that - they misnamed the particle. Nobody believes in God anymore. It won't do a thing for church attendance.

Not only that - they misnamed the particle. Nobody believes in God anymore. It won't do a thing for church attendance.

"Flying Spaghetti Monster Particle," while slightly more accurate (one could consider the effect of the Higgs field on a particle as being "touched by Higgs' noodly appendage"), was a bit awkward in the lab. Particularly when the damn frogs kept calling it the "Particle de MSV".

Please watch this video in its entirety (it's only 2 minutes of your time):

youtube.com/watch?v=VjY0vqgDMnE&feature=relmfu

I know one of the scientists involved in the atlas project and he sent the cern link I posted which I think is quite good. He's obviously a bit distracted at the moment (more like beside himself like we'd be if bills won a super bowl), but I did ask what's the utility of the discovery. He expressed some caution that the next step is to.run other tests to determine if its the higgs or something subtly different. Could be a while before we see the benefits to society.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

"Flying Spaghetti Monster Particle," while slightly more accurate (one could consider the effect of the Higgs field on a particle as being "touched by Higgs' noodly appendage"), was a bit awkward in the lab. Particularly when the damn frogs kept calling it the "Particle de MSV".

Touché, and damned funny too! :beer:

The Higgs Boson walks into a church, the Priest says: “We don’t allow Higgs Boson in here.

The Higgs Boson says: “But without me, how can you have mass?”

Oh, tell me you didn't make that up yourself.

Because if you came up with a joke that good yourself, I have to seriously reconsider my entire world-view. And I don't want to do that.

please...i barely get the joke...i think its funny because 'higgs boson' sounds like 'big bazongs'...and that's funny!!!! :w00t:

Oh, tell me you didn't make that up yourself.

Because if you came up with a joke that good yourself, I have to seriously reconsider my entire world-view. And I don't want to do that.