Nix Is Building An Old School Team In A New Era

Before the rule changes, it was VERY important to run the football, and stop the other team from doing so. This was, in most cases, the key to championships. Yes I know, the 49ers were an exception to some degree. Lately, passing stats are through the roof.

Accepting the above as a given, let's take a look at the direction Nix has chosen.

Nix dedicated HUGE resources to the DL. He signed 2 expensive free agents, extended KW's contract (Nix did this, right?), and used a #3 draft selection on a player who is hell to run against. And, KW is no slouch against the run in his own right.

On offense, we are fielding at LT and LG (assuming Glenn starts), 2 second round picks on the left side. Both of them could have easily gone in round 1. Additionaly, we have a first round center, and a right side composed of mauling types. Nix used the 9th pick of a draft for Spiller (already having a very good back in FJ), and we don't have any spectacular receivers, nor a field stretching TE. And our QB, while efficient, is not considered "elite."

If this sounds like criticism, it isn't. I like almost all of these moves, as well as the philosophy. The Bills play in the elements (as do 2 of our divisional opponents), and there will be times when passing won't be much of an option. Gailey, while not young, is more "modern" than Nix imo. He runs a very complex, new era offense. The old school/new school thing just might work.

Bottom line? If the defense stays healthy, I think we might be a bit more conservative on offense this year. More running, and less risky passes that wound up being intercepted. I do trust Gailey to come up with some creative passing strategies, but hope that we will be in a poition to pound it out on the ground a bit more.

If the Bills don't have all the pieces in place this year, I would be more than OK to watch them pound the s*&t out of their opponents, utilize home field advantage, and make the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a pretty good assessment.

On another note, I am trying to get my # of posts up... however, reading and posting in the off season seems like sometimes we are just repeating ourselves....basically I CAN'T WAIT FOR OPENING DAY!

Pssst.....you're on the wrong site if you're trying to get your post up.

A team always has to be the cutting edge of introducing or bringing back some scheme or other.

After the blow-up of passing the past couple-few years, it might be time for this kind of combination to screw with the state of the league and shake everyone's peaches. With the combo of a DL that, on paper, looks like it'll be killer against either the run or the pass, and an offense that can move the ball and grind out yards with two backs that provide a pretty good combination of power and speed against defenses that have been building in response to the passing game... (whew, I need a breath here)... we might be on the cutting edge of the backlash. Hope we can take advantage of it. These kinds of things are always small windows of opportunity before everyone catches up with scheme and/or personnel.

Bill...I think you missed one thing. We definately need to draft a few CB's early next year, can't have enough depth there.

Also, I really like our DL, we will be able to control games stopping their running game while doing well with ours.

Seems like a pretty good assessment.

On another note, I am trying to get my # of posts up... however, reading and posting in the off season seems like sometimes we are just repeating ourselves....basically I CAN'T WAIT FOR OPENING DAY!

Posting 19-0 baby!! everytime should do the trick!

Before the rule changes, it was VERY important to run the football, and stop the other team from doing so. This was, in most cases, the key to championships. Yes I know, the 49ers were an exception to some degree. Lately, passing stats are through the roof.

Accepting the above as a given, let's take a look at the direction Nix has chosen.

Nix dedicated HUGE resources to the DL. He signed 2 expensive free agents, extended KW's contract (Nix did this, right?), and used a #3 draft selection on a player who is hell to run against. And, KW is no slouch against the run in his own right.

On offense, we are fielding at LT and LG (assuming Glenn starts), 2 second round picks on the left side. Both of them could have easily gone in round 1. Additionaly, we have a first round center, and a right side composed of mauling types. Nix used the 9th pick of a draft for Spiller (already having a very good back in FJ), and we don't have any spectacular receivers, nor a field stretching TE. And our QB, while efficient, is not considered "elite."

If this sounds like criticism, it isn't. I like almost all of these moves, as well as the philosophy. The Bills play in the elements (as do 2 of our divisional opponents), and there will be times when passing won't be much of an option. Gailey, while not young, is more "modern" than Nix imo. He runs a very complex, new era offense. The old school/new school thing just might work.

Bottom line? If the defense stays healthy, I think we might be a bit more conservative on offense this year. More running, and less risky passes that wound up being intercepted. I do trust Gailey to come up with some creative passing strategies, but hope that we will be in a poition to pound it out on the ground a bit more.

If the Bills don't have all the pieces in place this year, I would be more than OK to watch them pound the s*&t out of their opponents, utilize home field advantage, and make the playoffs.

Good stuff! freddy cj 1-2 pound it!!!!!

Yes, but the strength of the DL one might argue isn't even their alleged (because they haven't done this yet) run stopping ability. I'd say it's it ability to get after the QB which is very "New School" considering the era we are currently in. Mario was brought in to get after Brady and Co. K. Williams is a penetrator when best deployed. Dareus does everything. Merriman is a one trick pony at this point.

On your second point, I agree and fully endorse this change. I love the spread, but I think the Bills are better when Fitz doesn't have to throw it 40 times a game.

Edited by stony

Hey, i agree 110% because I would take it even further. I want a smash-mouth team to shut-up them low-down, dirty cheatin', no good patriots. I want to see belichek and Brady whine like they did at the ralph last season.

I wanna see Brady shut-down with a savage defense. I want a awesome running game with big nasty linemen steam rolling down the field. I want a team that no one wants to play because we are so big and tough. A hour of sheer hell.

Furthermore, I think the city of Buffalo is tough, especially in its heart. I think the team buddy has built is the perfect match for this city. Football is an emotional game, and this team loves its fans and the fans are gunna be there in droves screaming to help their team win, going to the airport, working together for charitess and finally winning that stupid superbowl.

Lastly, I am sick of reading posts that say," it's a passing league now, you can't win with fritz." And, "maybe the Bills might get a wildcard, but they can't win the division." or " maybe will be a superbowl contender if we have two more good drafts."

Yeah, I'm sick of that. This season will be the death of those posts.

The Bills are a superbowl contender right now and we are going to be thrilling to watch this year.

Again, nice post and Go Bills!

The idea of run and stop the run isn't as dead as some would have us believe. With the dearth of QBs in the league, there aren't that many teams that have one capable of sustaining long drives consistently through the air. I can list on one hand those QBs that can. Unfortunately we play in a division that has one.

We can spread them out in multiple receiver sets and run the ball like hell. Just like in the K-Gun days. I don't want Fitz having to throw to win us games. I want him to throw because teams can't stop our running game and he can take advantage.

Keep building it big, Buddy.

GO BILLS!!!

The idea of run and stop the run isn't as dead as some would have us believe. With the dearth of QBs in the league, there aren't that many teams that have one capable of sustaining long drives consistently through the air. I can list on one hand those QBs that can. Unfortunately we play in a division that has one.

We can spread them out in multiple receiver sets and run the ball like hell. Just like in the K-Gun days. I don't want Fitz having to throw to win us games. I want him to throw because teams can't stop our running game and he can take advantage.

Keep building it big, Buddy.

GO BILLS!!!

I would settle for letting him throw once a series to change it up

yeah idk about this old school stuff at least as it pertains to the team on the field. im with stony in that the new school formula isnt really run and stop the run at all any longer, its really pass and stop the pass now. hell, the last two sb winners couldnt stop the run to save their lives, nor could last seasons runner up, and the teams that lead the league in rushing usually are near the bottom in wins. that formula is passe. with the rules continually slanted toward favoring the qb and wrs its mostly all about qb pressure now, either creating it or preventing it

the one way maybe he and chan are going old school is creating the real team environment, a grounded feeling of family, everybody helping each other out, avoiding personality distractions, while simultaneously creating competition at nearly every position. that part of the formula certainly is a bit of a throwback

..and the teams that lead the league in rushing usually are near the bottom in wins. that formula is passe. ..

Not quite.

The top four teams in rushing:

1 Houston Texans Wins 10

2 Pittsburgh Steelers Wins 12

3 Green Bay Packers Wins 15

4 San Francisco 49ers Wins 13

I thought the broncos were like 1 or 2 in rushing last year? Either way, this is the best way to build the team. Until we have a top ten qb on the roster, this is the way to go. Though I think sooner than later, they need to grab a serious qb prospect to develop that could be a top ten player.