Nix Is Building An Old School Team In A New Era

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the rule changes, it was VERY important to run the football, and stop the other team from doing so. This was, in most cases, the key to championships. Yes I know, the 49ers were an exception to some degree. Lately, passing stats are through the roof.

Accepting the above as a given, let's take a look at the direction Nix has chosen.

Nix dedicated HUGE resources to the DL. He signed 2 expensive free agents, extended KW's contract (Nix did this, right?), and used a #3 draft selection on a player who is hell to run against. And, KW is no slouch against the run in his own right.

On offense, we are fielding at LT and LG (assuming Glenn starts), 2 second round picks on the left side. Both of them could have easily gone in round 1. Additionaly, we have a first round center, and a right side composed of mauling types. Nix used the 9th pick of a draft for Spiller (already having a very good back in FJ), and we don't have any spectacular receivers, nor a field stretching TE. And our QB, while efficient, is not considered "elite."

If this sounds like criticism, it isn't. I like almost all of these moves, as well as the philosophy. The Bills play in the elements (as do 2 of our divisional opponents), and there will be times when passing won't be much of an option. Gailey, while not young, is more "modern" than Nix imo. He runs a very complex, new era offense. The old school/new school thing just might work.

Bottom line? If the defense stays healthy, I think we might be a bit more conservative on offense this year. More running, and less risky passes that wound up being intercepted. I do trust Gailey to come up with some creative passing strategies, but hope that we will be in a poition to pound it out on the ground a bit more.

If the Bills don't have all the pieces in place this year, I would be more than OK to watch them pound the s*&t out of their opponents, utilize home field advantage, and make the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing that amazes me is how many on this board were looking for instant gratification when Nix took over. All the incredibly negative threads and comments.

We have a solid general manager who knows what it takes to compete in the NFL and from his open approach we have all heard how bad the team was when he took over (As Gomer Pyle would say 'SURRRRPRIZE SURRRRPRIZE!).

Obviously we need to see what this team can do on the field but look at them ... they are high motor players with superb character who are big and fast and hard hitting and skilled. Even the most blatent pessimist has to be honestly getting angry because their pessimism no longer has a place with the Buffalo Bills.

As a New Jersey based Buffalo Bills' season ticket holder, I can't wait for the season to begin!

If I had to compare what I see Nix doing it looks a lot like the 49er's and Texans. I'll take it. They controlled most games, and could pass when they needed to do so. The 49er's were so close to winning and going to the SB with their plan, and the Texans if not for losing their QB could have possibly gone farther.

This tells me we are on the right path. POUND, POUND, and POUND again. As far as defense, I think your earlier posts are correct in yes we are set up to stop the run well, but also very much so a pressure the QB pass defense. It will be the best of both worlds.

On the NFL Radio, I like what PK said yesterday, that it wasn't the offense's fault last year, and even with injuries were scoring points. It was the defense giving up over 6000 yards. I love the praise we're getting from the national media, and doesn't make me nervous at all.

19-0 Baby!

Good thoughts, Bill. I think people either don't know, forget, or tend to ignore that Gailey is a big fan of a running game that controls the clock and moves the ball. There has been a ton of criticism on this board that Chan called too many pass plays during the 2nd half swoon last season, citing the gaudy YPA out of Jackson (before he went down) and Spiller. I would counter that Gailey saw a couple of things that led to his playcalling decisions: (1) injuries throughout his OL that lessened the chances for success under a "run first" mentality; and (2) a smart, quick-thinking QB who could still try to implement a short passing game for 4-5 yard gains on early downs. The Bills also found themselves trailing by significant margins in many of those games; you can either "give up" by trying to run the clock, or you can continue to call plays in an effort to get back in the game. Gailey chose the latter, and I, for one, applaud that thinking. He didn't trust the defense to stop anyone.

As for the YPA argument, some have (I believe) accurately noted these stats are the result of a spread attack, and not a grinding, mauling running game.

This season, the pieces appear to be in place to do a little more of the mauling from an offensive standpoint, and the expected play of the defense should give them more of an opportunity to "shorten the game." I don't necessarily expect Fitz's attempts to drop significantly, but I do expect the INTs to be reduced by at least 25% as he is not forced to try and make plays out of "desperation."

I agree with Bill that Buffalo appears to be building a team suited to play outside, late into the year.

The thing that amazes me is how many on this board were looking for instant gratification when Nix took over. All the incredibly negative threads and comments.

We have a solid general manager who knows what it takes to compete in the NFL and from his open approach we have all heard how bad the team was when he took over (As Gomer Pyle would say 'SURRRRPRIZE SURRRRPRIZE!).

Obviously we need to see what this team can do on the field but look at them ... they are high motor players with superb character who are big and fast and hard hitting and skilled. Even the most blatent pessimist has to be honestly getting angry because their pessimism no longer has a place with the Buffalo Bills.

As a New Jersey based Buffalo Bills' season ticket holder, I can't wait for the season to begin!

Link

I actually think defensively he is building a more modern D. A 4-3 heavy on D-line and corners. He switched to a 4-3 because putting Dareus and K.Williams in the middle helps stuff the run, along with our LB's being better suited for the system.

Then he added Anderson and Super Mario to help the edge rush which you need to get after the QB. So we have a stacked D-line on paper and then Nix goes out and adds Gilmore and Brooks to the secondary.

I think when you add two guys to the D-line who can get after the QB, use your 1st round pick plus a 4th rounder on corners, its pretty clear to me you are trying to stop the pass.

I actually think defensively he is building a more modern D. A 4-3 heavy on D-line and corners. He switched to a 4-3 because putting Dareus and K.Williams in the middle helps stuff the run, along with our LB's being better suited for the system.

Then he added Anderson and Super Mario to help the edge rush which you need to get after the QB. So we have a stacked D-line on paper and then Nix goes out and adds Gilmore and Brooks to the secondary.

I think when you add two guys to the D-line who can get after the QB, use your 1st round pick plus a 4th rounder on corners, its pretty clear to me you are trying to stop the pass.

Uhh... I wouldn't say that. LB is the most suspect area of this team, both starters and depth.

Guys have been shifted around from the positions that they have played --- Barnett is on the outside, which requires more lateral speed --- and have/had physical size for the 3-4, which is a bit bigger (15-20#) than it is for the 4-3 IIRC. OTOH, it's marginally less reliant on the LBs, so there's that.

All things being equal, tho, the switch back was definitely the right move, even before we signed Super Mario and MA. TheLBs were dropping like flies the whole experiment. Better to have some beef up front take the brunt.

With the addition of Cordy Glenn....it looks like the bills are back to using early picks on the offensive line.....which is a good thing.....

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

These guys were all high pick

Urbik was an early pick for the Steelers as well I think

3rd rounder, I think.

Yes, but the strength of the DL one might argue isn't even their alleged (because they haven't done this yet) run stopping ability. I'd say it's it ability to get after the QB which is very "New School" considering the era we are currently in. Mario was brought in to get after Brady and Co. K. Williams is a penetrator when best deployed. Dareus does everything. Merriman is a one trick pony at this point.

On your second point, I agree and fully endorse this change. I love the spread, but I think the Bills are better when Fitz doesn't have to throw it 40 times a game.

You mean like Bruce Smith or Reggie White new school?