Feeling the love...

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Kiper wrote a nice little piece, praising the Bills' offseason. Said it's hard to find a better one in the nfl. Here's the link I don't think you need to be an insider to read all the stuff on the Bills, but let me know if there's more.

We like guys who actually pay attention to what the Bills do. That's what happens when there's a buzz over you. The haters are going to snort that it's all an illusion, 12 years, blah blah, but when top media looks at your team and gets a chub, that means something.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We like guys who actually pay attention to what the Bills do. That's what happens when there's a buzz over you. The haters are going to snort that it's all an illusion, 12 years, blah blah, but when top media looks at you team and gets a chub, that means something.

PTR

True story Promo

Still hate Peter King though*, no matter what he says about the Bills (which isn't much, ever.)

*for ever and ever

King has been quite complimentary of the Nix/Gailey regime...I recall a number of comments last season in particular.

Sticking to his guns on the Glenn pick. Doesn't see him on the left side of the line. hmmmmmm

Yeah, this is actually pretty funny. Rarely do you see (that I can recall) such a specific dichotomy about the appropriate position for a player. Both sides have absolutely drawn lines in the sand. Obviously I hope Nix and Gailey are right, and if so, I can't wait to have somebody bring this up to Mel at some point down the road.

Anyone who does not have their head up their ass has to see that the Bills by all accounts had a very good off season.

Frankly it would be shocking to see one of the pundits that didn't see it that way.

Nix did his job. Now it's time to see if Gailey and the players can bring the baby to term. It should be an interesting season!

Every summer, with the NFL draft and free agency in the rearview mirror, I take a look at each team. What did it accomplish in terms of added personnel? How did its draft fill holes? What voids remain? Let's jump around the league, addressing three things for each team:

Help added (below): What has the team done this offseason to improve its prospects. Given my greatest area of expertise, I put a particular emphasis on the draft.

Questions that remain (need Insider access): A look at what voids must be filled.

Next year's help, now (need Insider access): With an eye toward next year's draft class, what player from 2013 could seemingly help the team in 2012? This is meant to be hypothetical, a quick look at prospects to keep an eye on.

Here is the version for the AFC East:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFC East

Buffalo Bills

Help added: It's a proven fact that if you want to build a championship team in the NFL, it has to start with the draft. Look at the personnel makeup of any of the best teams and you'll see a massive ratio of its talent came aboard via the draft. This isn't groundbreaking, but I bring it up because of the addition of Mario Williams in free agency. So often, teams add free agents looking for a fix and end up disappointed. In this case, Williams might be a perfect fit.

It's not merely because of what he brings to the defense as it goes to more of a base 4-3 system but because of what that could do for last year's top pick, Marcell Dareus. With Mario and Kyle Williams flanking him, Dareus could become a star. Don't forget about Mark Anderson, who picked up 10 sacks last season and will line up opposite Williams at right defensive end. The Bills' defensive line has been elevated and is now one of the top lines in football, a year after it was 25th in the NFL in sack percentage.

The Bills did well in the draft. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore is an immediate starter. I don't agree with Buddy Nix that second-round pick Cordy Glenn profiles as a potential NFL left tackle, but he could be outstanding on the right side. Erik Pears is penciled in at right tackle, but I'm interested to see how the depth chart looks coming out of camp. The Bills could also have some late steals. Tackle Zebrie Sanders could become a starter if he develops, and Ron Brooks could be a starting slot corner after being overshadowed at LSU. It's hard to find a team that had a better offseason than Buffalo.

For the remainder of the Bills info and full AFC East breakdown from Mel Kiper, including picks for next year's draft, you must be an ESPN Insider.

Not much, but here's the rest....

------------------------------------------------

Questions that remain: Last year, Ryan Fitzpatrick started the season on fire but faded late. His 23 interceptions can't be overlooked, but I know he played the second half of the season with a cracked rib. Combined with merely adequate blocking and a lack of options outside of Stevie Johnson at wide receiver, Fitzpatrick was a guy trying to force things. That's a long way of saying I think he can bounce back. My question is whether he has enough protection and weapons. The backfield is fine, assuming Fred Jackson is healthy and the team finds ways to get C.J. Spiller enough touches. But Johnson is the one guy in this group of wide receivers I feel can consistently separate, and when teams roll coverages his way, others must step up. Donald Jones? David Nelson? Rookie T.J. Graham? The blocking must also get better, otherwise I wonder if this season will be a less-than-fair audit of Fitzpatrick.

Next year's help, now: Keenan Allen, WR, Cal

With great run-after-catch ability, Allen isn't a total burner, but the former safety knows how to work in space and has exceptional hands. He is an ideal target to complement Johnson on the outside.

I have thought this for several years now, they promote Fitzpatrick, who is really not that good, and do not give him enough weapons. Makes no sense at all, it is almost like a recipe for failure. When you have a below average QB you need to be giving him more weapons. I do not believe the Bills have done this.

WR in the first round is not the way I would like to go next year. We all are expecting big things from our defense but I believe this year we WILL have a #2 receiver emerge.

The competition at WR this year is pretty strong IMO. Last year and the year before that, whether Chan would admit it or not, WR jobs were "given" to guys because there actually wasn't much competition. Stevie emerged as a starter when given the chance to compete for the #1 slot after we traded Evans. This year I feel the same goes for the slot WR position and I believe David Nelson is our guy and will be our guy for a very long time.

I think if T.J. Graham does some exceptional things during camp he might win the #2 position. But the way Chan is talking, looks like Donald Jones has the lead at this point. So I think our lineup will go something like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. ???????

7. Ruvell Martin (Special Teams)

I have thought this for several years now, they promote Fitzpatrick, who is really not that good, and do not give him enough weapons. Makes no sense at all, it is almost like a recipe for failure. When you have a below average QB you need to be giving him more weapons. I do not believe the Bills have done this.

And your thinking on this matter began several years after Fitz's promotion...

Uh huh....

WR in the first round is not the way I would like to go next year. We all are expecting big things from our defense but I believe this year we WILL have a #2 receiver emerge.

The competition at WR this year is pretty strong IMO. Last year and the year before that, whether Chan would admit it or not, WR jobs were "given" to guys because there actually wasn't much competition. Stevie emerged as a starter when given the chance to compete for the #1 slot after we traded Evans. This year I feel the same goes for the slot WR position and I believe David Nelson is our guy and will be our guy for a very long time.

I think if T.J. Graham does some exceptional things during camp he might win the #2 position. But the way Chan is talking, looks like Donald Jones has the lead at this point. So I think our lineup will go something like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. ???????

No Easley?

Next year's help, now: Keenan Allen, WR, Cal

With great run-after-catch ability, Allen isn't a total burner, but the former safety knows how to work in space and has exceptional hands. He is an ideal target to complement Johnson on the outside.

No, no more USC/Cal receivers... they tend to be overrated and have a couple of great seasons and then di s s a p e a r....

Uh huh....

So, you can read minds now? Awesome! Bills have never given Fitzpatrick ample weapons. I have always said that, but go ahead and be try and be dishonest and making it appear I represent an opinion formulated in your head. Intellectually dishonest posting by you.

So, you can read minds now? Awesome! Bills have never given Fitzpatrick ample weapons. I have always said that, but go ahead and be try and be dishonest and making it appear I represent an opinion formulated in your head. Intellectually dishonest posting by you.

I was just a bit shocked to find out you were posting from the year 2015.

Edited by The Big Cat

Subtle humour I am afraid will be lost here. If you ignore they guy who came out from under the bridge, perhaps he will go back there.

I think if T.J. Graham does some exceptional things during camp he might win the #2 position.

At least one thing Graham's speed gives the team: if he's in the game and he goes long, somebody has to go with him in coverage. So the underneath coverage is looser and the passing game benefits.

At least one thing Graham's speed gives the team: if he's in the game and he goes long, somebody has to go with him in coverage. So the underneath coverage is looser and the passing game benefits.

His speed also gives Fitz the option to over-throw, IMO. He has to over-throw because if Ryan under-throws it, it's a jump ball and I believe that Graham won't be able to out jump the safety/corner back since he is only 5'11".

So I think our lineup will go something like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. ???????

I think it will shake out like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. David Nelson

3. Derek Hagan

4. TJ Graham

5. Marcus Easley

6. waived WR

Jacoby Jones was waived this month. Seattle, Green Bay, and New England currently have 7 wide receivers better than Roosevelt/Jones. At Green Bay, Driver has decided to return, so James Jones might be available via trade. At Seattle, they have 13 WR's and 7 TE's on roster right now. NEP* has 10 plus Welker.

Edited by Astrobot

Geesh, people think I am arrogant, I guess opinions only matter if they are read by people like Big Cat on this message board or they never existed. Talk about hypocritcal.

Geesh, people think I am arrogant, I guess opinions only matter if they are read by people like Big Cat on this message board or they never existed. Talk about hypocritcal.

I believe he was getting at the point that you have thought for "several years" that Fitzpatrick isn't good enough to be the starter and needs more weapons when he only became the starter last season...

I believe he was getting at the point that you have thought for "several years" that Fitzpatrick isn't good enough to be the starter and needs more weapons when he only became the starter last season...

Dude started 14 games 2 years ago, is that not a whole season? The Bills were thin with Edwards out there, I love how people completely disregard that season because he did not start the first two games. Dude has the 15th most starts of all people on planet earth over the last 4 years. I thought this last year and now this year, hence several years, Big Cat is just pandering to the group that bunches together on every message board to pat each other on the back. If it makes him feel better.

I stopped reading after there cuz ummmmm... Quite frankly, a whole season is 16 games...

More intellectual dishonesty in an attempt to discredit someone by only posting a portion of a statement. This is what people attempt to do when they have real opinion on things, smart people see right through this.

More intellectual dishonesty in an attempt to discredit someone by only posting a portion of a statement. This is what people attempt to do when they have real opinion on things, smart people see right through this.

Well, see, its the only part I read so it would make no sense to post the rest of it. Well, no sense to a person with logic. :oops:

Do you prefer semi-gloss or glossy for indoor trim?

Uh huh....

No Easley?

If you want to put Easley where I have question marks you can... I think the final WR spot will be a battle between Easley and Clowney...

I think it will shake out like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. David Nelson

3. Derek Hagan

4. TJ Graham

5. Marcus Easley

6. waived WR

Jacoby Jones was waived this month. Seattle, Green Bay, and New England currently have 7 wide receivers better than Roosevelt/Jones. At Green Bay, Driver has decided to return, so James Jones might be available via trade. At Seattle, they have 13 WR's and 7 TE's on roster right now. NEP* has 10 plus Welker.

I like the players you have on the roster though I don't agree with the order you put them in... David Nelson is not a stretch the field kind of receiver which is why he is not a #2...

What about Ruvell? I personally don't want him but didn't we just pay him to come back? Won't we take a cap hit if he doesn't make the squad?

Even if he makes the squad at special teams, he'll be listed as a WR...

Sticking to his guns on the Glenn pick. Doesn't see him on the left side of the line. hmmmmmm

This O-line is exceptional. The running game will be so dominant inside and out, Glenn will have opportunity to get snaps at left tackle.

Edited by Thunderstealer