OUR LB'S ????

Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently but...

I can't help but worry a bit about our linebackers.

Read somewhere that Barnett is playing outside full time for the first time ever.

Morrison is decent but was never really more than that.

Shep has only a handful of starts in his career.

I know our d-line should take some pressure off them but we really need them to make plays for us.

Are they up for it?

Thoughts?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a concern but for the majority of the plays there will be less than three linebackers on the field anyway. the strength of the defense will be their deep line rotation so really all you need is decent backers and i think the bills can confidently field two of them, at least until injuries force some of the very green backups into action

Read somewhere that Barnett is playing outside full time for the first time ever.

I know our d-line should take some pressure off them but we really need them to make plays for us.

Are they up for it?

Thoughts?

I think we have a lot of depth there, but no frontline stars . . . if they can just do their job, the over-all defensive talent will cover for them. Fortunately, the 4/3 is not a linebacker dependent defense, and considering the talent (or, lack thereof) at linebacker, this was probably a consideration--not the only--in switching back to the 4/3.

By units, the Bills defense, strength to weakness scale:

(1) Line = Very Strong;

(2) D'Backs = Strong [not outstanding, but capable];

(3) Linebackers = Average [we hope].

By the way: I believe this is my 1,000 post - this is a special day! :flirt:

Edited by CSBill

I think we are ok at LB, particularly when you consider the following:

1) our D-line will be amazing, this will make even an average LB look all pro.

2) Barnett played coverage in Green Bay I think. He will be fine.

3) Sheppard looked good-great, while missing all off season last year due to the lockout. Look for him to have a huge year.

4) We have some pretty good backups from our draft class, and don't forget about FA Scott McKillup. The guy was a First-Team All American at Pitt and BE Defensive Player of the Year.

5) Conclusion: I think one of our LB emerges as a Pro Bowl player, (Sheppard?), perhaps two (Shep and Barnett). If the rookies and McKillup show promise, a rotation at LB is also possible, making fresh bodies on D for almost every down.

#1 -- The strength of a 4-3 lies in the strength of the defensive line (quick -- name the Giants' starting LBs)

#2 -- Barnett is a stud. I look for him to shine in this defense, with that line in front of him.

#3 -- Shep is a 2nd year guy they have very high hopes for, who played last season without the benefit of an offseason program and then was injured early in training camp.

#4 -- Morrison is a solid veteran who probably won't "wow" anyone but also can be expected to do his job.

#5 -- Bradham and Carder are good-looking rookies, and the Bills also have Chris White from last year's class. You only need to carry 6 LBs on the roster when you're running a 4-3.

In sum, the linebacking corps is hardly the strength of the team, but it's also not as dire as some suggest. With what appears to be a potentially elite D line rotation and very strong secondary, I believe these LBs will do just fine.

#1 -- The strength of a 4-3 lies in the strength of the defensive line (quick -- name the Giants' starting LBs)

#2 -- Barnett is a stud. I look for him to shine in this defense, with that line in front of him.

#3 -- Shep is a 2nd year guy they have very high hopes for, who played last season without the benefit of an offseason program and then was injured early in training camp.

#4 -- Morrison is a solid veteran who probably won't "wow" anyone but also can be expected to do his job.

#5 -- Bradham and Carder are good-looking rookies, and the Bills also have Chris White from last year's class. You only need to carry 6 LBs on the roster when you're running a 4-3.

In sum, the linebacking corps is hardly the strength of the team, but it's also not as dire as some suggest. With what appears to be a potentially elite D line rotation and very strong secondary, I believe these LBs will do just fine.

Indeed!

Also for the OP: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/146540-ilb-position/

Edited by DrDareustein

This year I'm hoping names like Carder and Bradham will become household names. This will only help Nix look more like a genius as a GM. If our line does what we expect, then Stephon's job should just be going out and playing football. Simple. If that's the case then the Stephon pick looks great.

Our 2nd and 3rd picks are the ones which will determine if this draft was a success. If Glenn can protect Fitz's blind side on an above average level and if Graham can somehow prove he is not just a Roscoe Parrish prototype and actually CAN be a #2 receiver, the 2012 draft at that point will already be an A+...

I know one shouldn't expect much out of a 4th round pick, but I'm expecting Bradham to contribute this year. The guy looks like a beast. He's obviously a football player. If he can get the playbook down and somehow realize the importance of his role and accept maturity at a young age, he will see that he can have a job with the Bills organization for a very long time.

Ron Brooks and Zebrie Sanders picks are just depth picks. The only way we will hear their names being called on gameday is if God Forbid someone goes down with injury and also on special teams. Ron Brooks might actually move up in the depth chart after camp but I'm fine with Gilmore, Williams, McGee and Rogers (We have so much talent in our CB positions this year). Let's see how McLovin does this year.

Tank Carder is another guy like Bradham who I'm expecting to take charge of his role and play bigger than expected. He has a good story of overcoming a depressed period, which makes me root for the guy and bring truth to the saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Mark Asper - Depth. May not even make the team so I don't know...

John Potter - We all know that Potter pounds punts pleasingly and picks plays he prefers while providing plentiful peerless pigskin prognostications which gives Peter Piper a plethora of punts for his pesos...

From the ILB concern thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/146540-ilb-position/

Really? You're scared about ILB?

Does that mean you wake up in cold sweats about OLB?

My advice is let the Defense brew. Its still not a finished product.

NO one on the planet knows what's going to happen at OLB, ILB, and depth at D-line.

The only starters we know on Defense are Mario, Kyle, Darius, Gilmore.

The rest of the Defensive starters are question marks. BYRD and Wilson will probably come out as starters but Searcy and Scott will see significant PT.

Other CB is a ? Nickle is a ?

BARNETT IS likely the starting OLB and Shep is likely MLB. But if Sheppard struggles then Barnett will be MLB.

Then it comes to the long list of DE/OLB depth on the team. Some guys will rise to the top in the 4-3 some will fail and get cut.

NO ONE knows right now in June.

And honestly it probably wont be settled until October, best case.

So lets sit back and watch pre-season before we get scared or terrified.

There is lots of young unproven talent on Defense and guess what? This is exactly where you want to be in year 3 of a complete franchise rebuild.

You actually have NFL worthy bodies, now lets see who has NFL quality execution and who can survive NFL quality competition.

This year I'm hoping names like Carder and Bradham will become household names. This will only help Nix look more like a genius as a GM. If our line does what we expect, then Stephon's job should just be going out and playing football. Simple. If that's the case then the Stephon pick looks great.

Our 2nd and 3rd picks are the ones which will determine if this draft was a success. If Glenn can protect Fitz's blind side on an above average level and if Graham can somehow prove he is not just a Roscoe Parrish prototype and actually CAN be a #2 receiver, the 2012 draft at that point will already be an A+...

I know one shouldn't expect much out of a 4th round pick, but I'm expecting Bradham to contribute this year. The guy looks like a beast. He's obviously a football player. If he can get the playbook down and somehow realize the importance of his role and accept maturity at a young age, he will see that he can have a job with the Bills organization for a very long time.

Ron Brooks and Zebrie Sanders picks are just depth picks. The only way we will hear their names being called on gameday is if God Forbid someone goes down with injury and also on special teams. Ron Brooks might actually move up in the depth chart after camp but I'm fine with Gilmore, Williams, McGee and Rogers (We have so much talent in our CB positions this year). Let's see how McLovin does this year.

Tank Carder is another guy like Bradham who I'm expecting to take charge of his role and play bigger than expected. He has a good story of overcoming a depressed period, which makes me root for the guy and bring truth to the saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Mark Asper - Depth. May not even make the team so I don't know...

John Potter - We all know that Potter pounds punts pleasingly and picks plays he prefers while providing plentiful peerless pigskin prognostications which gives Peter Piper a plethora of punts for his pesos...

I don't think you are correct about Ron Brooks or Sanders.

Sanders is the only O-Lineman with LT athleticism on the roster. If he develops to his full potential he will be the starting LT. He has a higher ceiling than Glenn. If he doesn't reach his full potential. He will likely be depth and hopefully can be a swing Tackle and possible starter at RT.

Brooks will be on the field a lot in 2011. It is likely he will be in Nickel and Dime packages (which we all know is what is run a majority of the time in the NFL in 2012) He could even lock down the #2 Wide CB position considering the junk heap that currently occupies the roster at CB.

I also disagree about Tank he is NOT going to beat out Shepp as a starting MLB and I doubt he plays OLB; so the only way he becomes a household name is if he is the next Steve Tasker, because Special Teams is where he is likely going to see any PT.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Are they up for it?

Thoughts?

With the guys we brought in this year via the draft & FA i think that can & will be a strong position for us this year & for years to come !!

Bradham , Carder , Moats , Shep , Barnett , White , Eddins , Morrison , Mikillop (which Wanny is high on) Possibly Batten ??

What's not to like ?? They can't all be busts , we know Moats is a player , Barnett too , Shep will do fine in the middle with the added pressure of the D Line , not to mention that the infusion of veterans along with the youth , i think this will be a great group for us as long as they determine who are the best ones to fit the scheme Wanny has for them !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#5 -- Bradham and Carder are good-looking rookies, and the Bills also have Chris White from last year's class. You only need to carry 6 LBs on the roster when you're running a 4-3.In sum, the linebacking corps is hardly the strength of the team, but it's also not as dire as some suggest. With what appears to be a potentially elite D line rotation and very strong secondary, I believe these LBs will do just fine.

I won't be surprised, in fact I think it will happen, if they carry 7. LBs have the size and speed you want on STs. Bradham, Carder, and McKillop all excel on STs. The LB position will be a tough cut. I think White will be a casualty this year, even though I thought he looked good in the few times he played.

Let's not sugar coat things with the 4-3 scheme, our LB's look lousy. After 2 wasted years, don't expect anything from Merriman at this point either. I would have loved Keuchly from BC but he was gone when the Bills drafted. That said, you can't rebuild your entire team in one off-season. They addressed the D-line big time and got a highly rated CB. Expect upgrades at WR, LB, and probably QB next year. Rome was not built in a day but yes the LB's are a major area of concern.

Let's not sugar coat things with the 4-3 scheme, our LB's look lousy. After 2 wasted years, don't expect anything from Merriman at this point either. I would have loved Keuchly from BC but he was gone when the Bills drafted. That said, you can't rebuild your entire team in one off-season. They addressed the D-line big time and got a highly rated CB. Expect upgrades at WR, LB, and probably QB next year. Rome was not built in a day but yes the LB's are a major area of concern.

Not True.

You want Morrison at OLB in a 4-3 where he had some success. The problem is you have two MLB in Barnett and Shepp.

the question is how good will Barnett be at OLB and how good will Shepp be at MLB.

Then you have a whole host of young talent that will provide depth and have potential to be starter quality material.

In 4-3 the LBs are less important than in a 3-4. It was a good switch back to 4-3. The team didn't have 3-4 talent. If we were still in 3-4, I'd be worried.

LB is really not a huge worry. Yes we do not have players that are household names at LB, but we have talent, all of this talent will be put through the wringers in Training Camp, The LBs that make it out and survive the competition should be more than adequate for a 4-3 with that defensive line, If Shepp develops and Morrison can contribute and Barnett can play OLB we may even have an above average LB core.

Its lousy or a major area of concern imo.

Edited by Why So Serious?

From the ILB concern thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/146540-ilb-position/

I don't think you are correct about Ron Brooks or Sanders.

Sanders is the only O-Lineman with LT athleticism on the roster. If he develops to his full potential he will be the starting LT. He has a higher ceiling than Glenn. If he doesn't reach his full potential. He will likely be depth and hopefully can be a swing Tackle and possible starter at RT.

Brooks will be on the field a lot in 2011. It is likely he will be in Nickel and Dime packages (which we all know is what is run a majority of the time in the NFL in 2012) He could even lock down the #2 Wide CB position considering the junk heap that currently occupies the roster at CB.

I also disagree about Tank he is NOT going to beat out Shepp as a starting MLB and I doubt he plays OLB; so the only way he becomes a household name is if he is the next Steve Tasker, because Special Teams is where he is likely going to see any PT.

WOW.. VERY bold statement... If he EVER becomes our "starting LT I will nominate you to be the Bills next GM or at the very least assistant GM... I agree about Brooks. He actually WILL see the field a bunch. But as you pointed out it will more than likely be on nickel and dime packages where the defense will be playing obvious passing situations. A couple pressures from the D-line might lead to his name being called on an interception or two I'll give you that. Our CB's being called "junk heap" is way over the line also. This year we're going into the season pretty damn good at CB...

About Tank I believe you're wrong for two things. One is I never said he will start or beat out Shepp. The other is him playing special teams and making plays "IS and WILL be" a key role for him. If he produces there, he will definitely be on the field as a backup to the MLB position. This is how 5th rounders make names for themselves and eventually start...

It all leads to hope on our part. I doubt you'd be upset if you were wrong about Glenn and he actually did become an elite LT as also I wouldn't be upset if Zebrie became the same. As opinions go though, I'm definitely looking for Tank's name to be called this year.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

It our weakest group for sure. But I think that Barnett and Morrison should be solid, while Sheppard has a lot of potential to be a above average to good player. They drafted two guys in the mid rounds who should help the depth of the team. After that its a pretty thin bunch. Hopefully Buddy picks up a veteran who helps the depth of the LB core.

1338816473[/url]' post='2479972']

I think we are ok at LB, particularly when you consider the following:

1) our D-line will be amazing, this will make even an average LB look all pro.

2) Barnett played coverage in Green Bay I think. He will be fine.

3) Sheppard looked good-great, while missing all off season last year due to the lockout. Look for him to have a huge year.

4) We have some pretty good backups from our draft class, and don't forget about FA Scott McKillup. The guy was a First-Team All American at Pitt and BE Defensive Player of the Year.

5) Conclusion: I think one of our LB emerges as a Pro Bowl player, (Sheppard?), perhaps two (Shep and Barnett). If the rookies and McKillup show promise, a rotation at LB is also possible, making fresh bodies on D for almost every down.

I think shepp will be a productive player for us, but I don't think he'll be a pro bowler. I think we'll get 1 or 2 DL and a safety in the pro bowl this year (defensively). I don't think our LBs are THAT good. Productive with a great DL, yes.