Any Great Obscure Movies?

Juror#8

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of God

Its a foreign one, so unless you're fluent in Portugese there will be subtitles, but its worth the watch. It refreshing to finish a movie and not feel like you've already seen it 100 times before.

Layer Cake

If you like Snatch and Lock, Stock then Layer Cake will be up your alley.

Probably one of the most underrated movies that I have ever enjoyed is "Big Night."

Terrific cast of Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Isabella Rossellini, Alison Janney, Minnie Driver. Oustanding Louie Prima soundtrack.

Underrated.....no.

Overlooked.....yes.

Dogtooth..... you can't get anymore obscure. "If the plane falls from the sky, it's mine"

Or, you could do Cache/ Hidden

Powder Blue

Ray Liotta,Jessica Beal(who plays a stripper and plays it well) and Forrest Wittaker

That's not obscure at all.

Last night I watched a documentary called "Up For Grabs", which is based on Bonds' 73rd home run ball and who actually caught/owned it. Was much more interesting than I expected, as I really hadn't heard much about this story when it went down.

Has anyone seen "God Bless America" yet? I saw it last weekend...Bobcat Goldwaits' new movie...I liked it okay, but was a little disappointed...I thought it was going to be better.

City of God

Its a foreign one, so unless you're fluent in Portugese there will be subtitles, but its worth the watch. It refreshing to finish a movie and not feel like you've already seen it 100 times before.

:thumbsup: Excellent choice...one of my favorite movies, period.

After Hours

Weird but very entertaining.

One of Scorsese's finest, least know movies...also "King Of Comedy" with Jerry Lewis and Sandra Bernhardt!

Edited by Buftex

O.k., so Movie weekend wasn't an entire weekend after all. It was more like a day and a half. Tranisitioning to private sector and opening a business 70 miles from my house took it's toll with respect to available time for movie-watching. That.....and Hatfields and McCoys debuted last night so that was how Monday evening was spent. That said though, here is how the day and a half (nee weekend) went down:

The food: PB Captain Crunch, Twizzlers, Curry Chicken and brown rice that my mother graciously made for the occassion, Orange Crush, Biscoff Spread, Biscoff Cookies, Boars Head Turkey and sub rolls from Giant, Oatmeal, muffins from Wegmans, leftover PF Changs.

This post can go on for days so I'll just mention the movies that I watched:

Your recommendations -

Thin Red Line (loved it - awesome movie)

Moon (the whole time I was thinking that it would be 2001 Space Odyssey Redux - it wasn't. Sam Rockwell plays a great role!)

True Romance (enjoyed the movie - surprised that Tarantino was involved - didn;t seem like a Tarantino flick)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Ok, I can't believe that I'd never heard of this movie. IMO, Downey Jr's best performance. Period. No hyperbole.)

Movies that I had purchased but was waiting to watch -

Primer (WOW! WOW! See it! Made on a $7000 budget. VERY dialog heavy! Fantastic Movie! Mind !@#$!)

Tree of Life (You'll either love it or hate it. Top 25 movies of all time IMO)

Seconds (oldie but goodie - kind of a mind !@#$)

Lost Highway (had seen half of it before - wierd as **** - ok movie)

Primer (just wanted to mention it again - fantastic movie)

Caveman's Valentine (eh, whatever)

Red Violin (pretty good - want to see it again though - watched it after Seconds so for the first 45 minutes of the movie I was still thinking about Seconds).

Pootie Tang (Wadatay!) (ok...don't !@#$ing hate)

All recommendations were VERY much appreciated. I'll be watching all of the other movies over the coming months and years as my work schedule permits.

P.S. - Tree of Life and Primer. Awesome movies! Sleepers. Would be interested in hearing thoughts from those who have seen them already.

O.k., so Movie weekend wasn't an entire weekend after all. It was more like a day and a half. Tranisitioning to private sector and opening a business 70 miles from my house took it's toll with respect to available time for movie-watching. That.....and Hatfields and McCoys debuted last night so that was how Monday evening was spent. That said though, here is how the day and a half (nee weekend) went down:

The food: PB Captain Crunch, Twizzlers, Curry Chicken and brown rice that my mother graciously made for the occassion, Orange Crush, Biscoff Spread, Biscoff Cookies, Boars Head Turkey and sub rolls from Giant, Oatmeal, muffins from Wegmans, leftover PF Changs.

This post can go on for days so I'll just mention the movies that I watched:

Your recommendations -

Thin Red Line (loved it - awesome movie)

Moon (the whole time I was thinking that it would be 2001 Space Odyssey Redux - it wasn't. Sam Rockwell plays a great role!)

True Romance (enjoyed the movie - surprised that Tarantino was involved - didn;t seem like a Tarantino flick)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Ok, I can't believe that I'd never heard of this movie. IMO, Downey Jr's best performance. Period. No hyperbole.)

Movies that I had purchased but was waiting to watch -

Primer (WOW! WOW! See it! Made on a $7000 budget. VERY dialog heavy! Fantastic Movie! Mind !@#$!)

Tree of Life (You'll either love it or hate it. Top 25 movies of all time IMO)

Seconds (oldie but goodie - kind of a mind !@#$)

Lost Highway (had seen half of it before - wierd as **** - ok movie)

Primer (just wanted to mention it again - fantastic movie)

Caveman's Valentine (eh, whatever)

Red Violin (pretty good - want to see it again though - watched it after Seconds so for the first 45 minutes of the movie I was still thinking about Seconds).

Pootie Tang (Wadatay!) (ok...don't !@#$ing hate)

All recommendations were VERY much appreciated. I'll be watching all of the other movies over the coming months and years as my work schedule permits.

P.S. - Tree of Life and Primer. Awesome movies! Sleepers. Would be interested in hearing thoughts from those who have seen them already.

I felt the same way about "Moon". I kept wondering to myself "Is this "2001" lite?". Thankfully it did not turn out that way. Sam Rockwell should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

I really liked "The Thin Red Line". I know it is very poetic and some of the camera shots of nature, while beautiful, seem to be overdone. The problem that most people have with this movie is that it is not your typical war movie. If you are expecting a historically accurate telling of the battle at Guadalcanal, you will be disappointed. However, Terrence Malick puts together some intense battle sequences, and does a fine job with this movie.

As for Malick's other movie, "Tree of Life", I agree with you. You either love it or hate it. At times it just seems to be too artsy. I should probably watch it again to get a full appreciation of it. When we see Jessica Chastain for the first time with the odd camera angle, you just know what you are in for. Malick has some breathtaking camera shots of nature and space and it is just a wonder to behold, and his use of classical music is just perfect. At the same time you'll ask yourself, what am I watching? I am still scratching my head over that dinosaur scene. "Tree of Life" is not an easy movie to explain, you just have to watch it.

I've never heard of "Primer", sounds like I shall have to check it out.

Probably one of the most underrated movies that I have ever enjoyed is "Big Night."

Terrific cast of Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Isabella Rossellini, Alison Janney, Minnie Driver. Oustanding Louie Prima soundtrack.

Saw that in the theatre. People were groaning out loud over how unreal the food looked. A very memorable movie experience.