Any Great Obscure Movies?

Juror#8

Anyone know of any obscure flicks that are not over-burdened by Hollywood formulaic repetitiveness or big budget, CGI technocrap? Any good comedies that don't have Adam Sandler? Any recommendations for great movies that are under the radar - so most haven't seen?

I'm having a relaxing 10-15 movie weekend next weekend so I'd be interested to know a "Top 2 Movies That You Probably Haven't Seen But Should."

"The Thin Red Line" is already on my list for next weekend. Thanks again.

Here is my list (of 3):

1. The Limey

2. Dark City

3. Cedar Rapids

Edited by Juror#8

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know of any obscure flicks that are not over-burdened by Hollywood formulaic repetitiveness or big budget, CGI technocrap? Any good comedies that don't have Adam Sandler? Any recommendations for great movies that are under the radar - so most haven't seen?

I'm having a relaxing 10-15 movie weekend next weekend so I'd be interested to know a "Top 2 Movies That You Probably Haven't Seen But Should."

Here is my list (of 3):

1. The Limey

2. Dark City

3. Cedar Rapids

I really like the film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. It's on Netflix streaming if you subscribe.

An excellent noir comedy that you may have missed: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I second Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I loved Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Do Clerks and/or Mallrats count as obscure?

And lastly, I found Hey Stop Stabbing Me to be pretty funny -- very low budget (literally $500), and it drags on a little, but when it works, it's hilarious (ignore the cover - has nothing to do with the movie).

I'll third the vote for Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang...one of my favorite films ever.

If you want an Adam Sandler type comedy that you may not have heard of, and one that it actually funny, check out "Grandmas Boy".

If you want a classic older film that has stood the test of time, I'll recommend "Witness for the Prosecution".

I like that you have Cedar Rapids on your list...I thought that was hilarious.

PS. Another of my all-time favorite films just hit Netflix streaming - "Bubba Ho-Tep"

Edited by ajzepp

I'll third the vote for Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang...one of my favorite films ever.

If you want an Adam Sandler type comedy that you may not have heard of, and one that it actually funny, check out "Grandmas Boy".

If you want a classic older film that has stood the test of time, I'll recommend "Witness for the Prosecution".

I like that you have Cedar Rapids on your list...I thought that was hilarious.

PS. Another of my all-time favorite films just hit Netflix streaming - "Bubba Ho-Tep"

Will check out "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Read a synopsis and it sounds interesting. Plus it has Robert Downey Jr. when he was still using which is when he was arguably putting out his best performances.

Glad someone else has seen "Cedar Rapids." Ed Helms and John C. Reilly are magic together in those roles. Movie should have got much more pub. 60% of the way through the movie it descends into complete chaos and then somehow finds it's way back to reality and yet it all seems right. Great flic.

Pulgasari

"mothhhhhhrrrrrraaaaa.........mothhhhhhhrrrrrraaaaa...."

I really like the film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. It's on Netflix streaming if you subscribe.

Checking it out...

I second Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I loved Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Do Clerks and/or Mallrats count as obscure?

And lastly, I found Hey Stop Stabbing Me to be pretty funny -- very low budget (literally $500), and it drags on a little, but when it works, it's hilarious (ignore the cover - has nothing to do with the movie).

"Olaf, 'Berserker'!" "My love for you is ticking clock...."

Great stuff man. In college we'd have "Clerks" and "Friday" marathon sessions. Brings back memories.

Will check out "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Read a synopsis and it sounds interesting. Plus it has Robert Downey Jr. when he was still using which is when he was arguably putting out his best performances.

As good as RDJ was in that film, Val Kilmer as Gay Perry stole the show for me...it's just a great movie all around...I've seen it three times and loved each viewing.

The Big Kahuna with Danny Devito & Kevin Spacey's a good one. One of my all-time favorites is Richard Linklater's Suburbia, based on the play by Eric Bogosian; but it's one you might have to watch a few times to fully appreciate.

Swimming With Sharks is not as deep as the others, but maybe more fun. And Happiness is hilariously disturbing. Of course if you've got time for 15 movies you might do well to indulge yourself in season 1 of The Shield. It's a hell of a ride.

Here is my list (of 3):

1. The Limey

2. Dark City

3. Cedar Rapids

Loved Cedar Rapids.

I recommend ADAM AND PAUL---Irish movie set in Dublin about 2 drug addicts.Its very very good.

Here is my list (of 3):

1. The Limey

2. Dark City

3. Cedar Rapids

I love "Dark City", definitely an overlooked sci-fi and a great vision by director Alex Proyas. If you want to know where "The Matrix" came from, watch "Dark City".

Other movies I would recommend are:

"Martha Marcy May Marlene". Small movie with a great performance by Elizabeth Olson, who plays an escapee from an abusive cult and now tries to adjust to normal life.

"First Monday in October". A favorite of mine with Walter Matthau & Jill Clayburgh, about the USA Supreme Court appointing it's first woman judge.

"Rogue". Australian movie about a man eating crocodile. Don't laugh, it's quite good. Also a cast that includes Michael Vartan, Radha Mitchell, Sam Worthington & Mia Wasikowska.

"Changeling". Not exactly obscure, but a definitely overlooked film directed by Clint Eastwood. Angelina Jolie gives a powerful performance as a mother living in 1920's Los Angeles who tries to find the truth about her kidnapped son.

"Brick". Stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt who plays a high school kid trying to figure out a crime ring involving the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend. The movie takes place in current times but is shot as a film noir.

For a little obscure old school horror check out producer Val Lewton's "The Leopard Man". A film not as heralded as "Cat People" or "I Walked With a Zombie", or "The Body Snatcher", but the setting and mood are fantastic for this mysterious thriller. Also check out Lewton's "The Seventh Victim". Both movies are only a little over an hour long.

For more old school horror there's director James Whale's "The Old Dark House". An obscure film from the director of "Frankenstein" & "The Invisible Man". A story about people who seek shelter from a powerful storm only to find out the mysteries of the house's strange inhabitants. A fine cast that includes Melvyn Douglas, Gloria Stuart, Robert Massey, Charles Laughton & Boris Karloff.

Since DC Tom brought up Pulgasari, then I will add, "Godzilla VS. King Ghidorah". The very best of the 1990's Godzilla series.

Moon

Those with exposure to Netflix® are much more likely to have seen it

Absolutely...another one of my favorites. Highly recommended.

I'm not recommending this as a "great" film, but I saw an indy flick tonight called "Boy Wonder" that was very entertaining. It has a vigilante justice type theme and one of the best endings I've seen in a while.

I have really slacked off from my movie watching days. Between my family and my job, life has become rather demanding. However, I saw a great documentary last week about Ayrton Senna. Search for "senna" on Netflix streaming.

If you aren't into racing, it's about a formula 1 driver who becomes world champ and dies on the track. It's subtitled, but it is awesome.

I have really slacked off from my movie watching days. Between my family and my job, life has become rather demanding. However, I saw a great documentary last week about Ayrton Senna. Search for "senna" on Netflix streaming.

If you aren't into racing, it's about a formula 1 driver who becomes world champ and dies on the track. It's subtitled, but it is awesome.

WEird, somehow it ended up in my queue even though I have no recollection of ever putting it there.

Thanks for the suggestion.