Gailey on QB Tanney

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/12/gailey-on-qb-tanney/

As we profiled on Buffalobills.com this morning, tryout QB Alex Tanney was a lot more than a trick shot QB in college at Division III Monmouth. Here was Chan Gailey’s take on Tanney after the first day of practice.

“He did some good things,” said Gailey. ”First day for any quarterback is hard. I don’t care who you are, but he did some good things. I like his quick throwing motion. He seems to have a strong arm. He seemed to pick up things fairly well. We’ll see how the rest of the weekend goes.”

I think if this kid keep it up, Gailey is really going keep an eye on this kid for sure..

Edited by mentalsick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the whole youtube thing makes Tanney out to be just "halftime entertainment". He said he brought it on himself just fooling around with friends. But, reviewing his credentials from college and growing up as a football coach's kid, even though he went to Division III, this kid could be for real. If he makes the Bills' 3rd string or practice squad, maybe he could be that developmental project people like to talk about. QB coach Lee said accuracy is #1 in what he thinks makes a genuine NFL QB. If it were to work out, Tanney could take over for Fitz in a couple or so years. Maybe the future of the team just came out of nowhere.

In Buddy We Trust

I could see Thigpen being cut now and the Bills bringing Fitz, Young, Corp and Tanney to camp.

Agreed. It's just disappointing. When Thigpen played for KC he lit up the stat sheet, but just didn't win (1 - 10 I believe). He's a Gailey Guy too. Apparently, Gailey and Fitz thought Fitz w/cracked ribs was better than a healthy Thigpen last year. If so, that says a lot.

He is really slow. His 40 was 5.1 or something like that. Gailey likes a more mobile qb

I know nothing about the guy, but a slow 40 isn't the worst thing for a QB and doesn't mean he's immobile.

I'm sure Roethelsberger's 40 wasn't great and I'd consider him to be very mobile.

I know nothing about the guy, but a slow 40 isn't the worst thing for a QB and doesn't mean he's immobile.

I'm sure Roethelsberger's 40 wasn't great and I'd consider him to be very mobile.

Excellent point. There are many ways to extend a play without being a fast runner.

GO BILLS!!!

Ben is a good example of what you want in a QB. He has a good pocket presence and elusiveness. Part of his mobility is actually due to his size, he shrugs off and spins out of tacklers.

Outside of pure running or slash QB's the 40 means nothing.

He is really slow. His 40 was 5.1 or something like that. Gailey likes a more mobile qb

4.96 with a 7.13 time in the 3-cone.

Not the greatest, but about on par with Kirk Cousins, whom the Bills really liked.

Also, to put it in perspective, Fitzpatrick ran a 4.86 and had a 7.09 3-cone as his pre-draft measurables...

Edited by Lurker

Fitz ain't fast himself. I want to know if Tanney can read defense,If he got a good arm strength to throw deep pass that is right on the money. Because Fitz deep throw accuracy is pretty bad. If Gailey likes more mobile type of QB then VY be starting

I never understood the fascination with "fast" quarterbacks. Very, very few QB's who are really elusive runners have amounted to anything in the NFL. You can probably name the truly successful ones on one hand. The majority of elite QB's in the league right now who win Super Bowls probably could not crack a 5 second 4o yard dash time.....The fascination with the Michael Vick type QB over a Peyton Manning type QB is just funny. I don't care how fast a QB can run the ball, because a QB with a good arm can throw it a hell of a lot faster.

This. The question isn't how fast can the guy run in a straight line, which has little relevance...it's how well can he sense pressure and time those 1-2 steps that can make guys miss and buy him a half a second to throw.

Thanks for pointing out literally the most useless attribute for a QB. 40 times have no relevance to pocket mobility which is rooted in footwork, instincts, and understanding of the game. See Tom Brady, Manning, Montanna, etc. 40 times matter for Madden games and QB's who are scrambling QB's first.

Have you guys watched any of his game film? He short-arms his throws much worse than Brock Osweiler. He throws a good fade route but he under-threw his receiver on almost every deep pass I saw. He is a HUGE project. Sure he had great stats, but Division III is football in slow motion compared to Division I let alone the NFL. In Chan I trust.