Mike Mularkey comments re third round pick

Some here and elsewhere have speculated about the reasons why the Bills traded up to pick TJ Graham.

Mike Mularkey was on Sirius NFL radio Wednesday. Among the things he was asked was why the Jaguars picked the punter in the third round. Mularkey basically stated that the Jaguars were going to pick someone else who was picked just before them so they went with the punter out of Cal who was high on their board. He did not say specifically that it was pick immediately before their pick, but it certainly could have been.

In any event, I thought that this was interesting and certainly adds credence to why the Bills traded the extra seventh round pick to move ahead of the Jaguars. It also adds credence to the thought that other teams had Graham rated as highly as we did.

I thought that some of you may be interested in the above.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a quote of him saying something about him, a WR, a playmaker, something, anything and I might believe it. The more I hear about this guy the more excited I am. I was a sprinter and hurdler in HS and he calls to me a bit. I've heard anywhere from 4.29 to 4.35 speed. Carl Lewis ran a 4.29, so that's pretty damn fast if it's true. I'm hoping he's closer to Desean Jackson than Lee Evans or Roscoe Parrish.

I don't feel bad about the Graham pick, but I would actually be less confident about it if you told me that turd Mullarkey was interested in him.

Edited by Special K

Thanks for posting!

Keep in mind that the Bills once traded up (from the top of the 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd) to get Ryan Denney. They only traded up a few spots, and only to leapfrog the Steelers, who were expected to take Denney. Just because you got your guy doesn't mean it will work out.

I don't feel bad about the Graham pick, but I would actually be less confident about it if you told me that turd Mullarkey was interested in him.

I agree...I was very high on Graham, talent wise, speed-wise and character wise. Now that I hear Mularkey might have liked him I'm wondering whether it was a good pick. :pirate:

I'm excited that Shawn Powell is a much better punter than Bryan Anger, and we picked up our future punter as an undrafted free agent.

2011 Stats:

Powell: 57 punts 47.0 average

Anger: 55 punts 44.25 average

Go Bills!

Edited by BuckeyeBill

Thanks for posting!

Keep in mind that the Bills once traded up (from the top of the 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd) to get Ryan Denney. They only traded up a few spots, and only to leapfrog the Steelers, who were expected to take Denney. Just because you got your guy doesn't mean it will work out.

The Bills' biggest mistake with Denney was not playing him at TE and bringing Moorman in at QB for more red zone situations.

Some here and elsewhere have speculated about the reasons why the Bills traded up to pick TJ Graham.

Mike Mularkey was on Sirius NFL radio Wednesday. Among the things he was asked was why the Jaguars picked the punter in the third round. Mularkey basically stated that the Jaguars were going to pick someone else who was picked just before them so they went with the punter out of Cal who was high on their board. [/font] He did not say specifically that it was pick immediately before their pick, but it certainly could have been.

In any event, I thought that this was interesting and certainly adds credence to why the Bills traded the extra seventh round pick to move ahead of the Jaguars. It also adds credence to the thought that other teams had Graham rated as highly as we did.

I thought that some of you may be interested in the above.

Whether Graham was the player they wanted to take doesn't rationalize their taking a punter in the third round. The Jaguars are a bad team with a lot of needs. Selecting a punter at such a high point in the draft makes absolutely no sense. There are many good players on the board in the third round who could have been added to their depleted roster. If they coveted this particular punter they could have gotten him in the fifth round. If he wouuld have been picked by another team then so what?

Maybe a case can be made for drafting a punter in the third round by a superior team that has all its needs met but is lacking a good punter who would help them get better field position. That situation certainly doesn't apply to the Jaguars who are a bottom feeding team.

As the original poster suggested most of the commentary by NFL analysts relating to Graham has been very positive. At first, because I never heard of Graham, I was a little bit confused and unsettled by his selection. The more that I find out about him the more I like that selection. Nix's instinct was probably right that Graham was subject to being taking before our pick came up. Instead of assuming that risk he was proactive and made the move to get him. I give him credit for making the small deal to get the player he had a conviction on.

None of this alters that Graham is easy to separate from the football. Will be curious to see if anyone in Buffalo management addresses this and why they feel it is correctable.

Whether Graham was the player they wanted to take doesn't rationalize their taking a punter in the third round. The Jaguars are a bad team with a lot of needs. Selecting a punter at such a high point in the draft makes absolutely no sense. There are many good players on the board in the third round who could have been added to their depleted roster. If they coveted this particular punter they could have gotten him in the fifth round. If he wouuld have been picked by another team then so what?

Maybe a case can be made for drafting a punter in the third round by a superior team that has all its needs met but is lacking a good punter who would help them get better field position. That situation certainly doesn't apply to the Jaguars who are a bottom feeding team.

As the original poster suggested most of the commentary by NFL analysts relating to Graham has been very positive. At first, because I never heard of Graham, I was a little bit confused and unsettled by his selection. The more that I find out about him the more I like that selection. Nix's instinct was probably right that Graham was subject to being taking before our pick came up. Instead of assuming that risk he was proactive and made the move to get him. I give him credit for making the small deal to get the player he had a conviction on.

Their QB is Blaine Gabbert. They expect to punt. A LOT.

I was at that Seattle game--that play (fake FG pass from Moorman to Denney to score) was a thing of beauty....

My seats are on the Bills side, 10 yd line (12 rows back) and saw the whole thing. It was a great opening day.

None of this alters that Graham is easy to separate from the football. Will be curious to see if anyone in Buffalo management addresses this and why they feel it is correctable.

Fumbling is VERY fixable. One of the easier things to correct with coaching. Tiki is just one case where in one year a guy went from having fumblitis to being completely cured.

Right after the Bills selected Graham by trading up, I started looking into why this happened. I don't remember the source, but their were rumors that Jacksonville was the team that wanted Graham. This was right after our selection. It actually all adds up. Maybe somebody with more time can look into this and verify this.

Jared Kracker piece on TJ/family

Edited by Beerball
credit where credit is due