Tape? Film? What decade are you guys in?

SDS

I have regular conversations with a former GM of an NFL team. He loves to watch old games. He refuses to watch it on DVD. He only wants VHS. When he says he watches tape, he really means it. Some people still prefer it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess saying "after extensive minutes of watching YouTube, here is my analysis..." isn't as sexy as "I've watched hours of film on this prospect..." :)

Actually, it's worse if they say that because the majority of stuff on YouTube is "highlight" stuff. There's not a whole lot of "hey watch me drop this pass, get blown up in pass protection or miss this tackle" video available. :)

I discovered something semi-interesting last week. Try this out on somebody under 30 years old..ask them what a 45 is as it relates to music and records. They won't know. They think it has something to do only with a pistol.

Most of my friends are musicians and several have released singles recently. I was curious about the term "single" and how it's differentiated from the other tracks. Back in my era, a single meant a 45rpm record - or more commonly known as a "45". Lord knows what the answer would be if asked about 8 tracks.

I'm 27 and know exactly what all those things are, and not from using them. Just because we weren't around doesn't mean we don't know what it is. I'm pretty sure you probably have a working knowledge of what the cival war, great depression, world wars and black and cival rights movement even though i'm to assume you weren't around DURING those times, either.

I'm 27 and know exactly what all those things are, and not from using them. Just because we weren't around doesn't mean we don't know what it is. I'm pretty sure you probably have a working knowledge of what the cival war, great depression, world wars and black and cival rights movement even though i'm to assume you weren't around DURING those times, either.

You make good points, except lose a few points by the end....

The civil rights movement was a worldwide political movement for equality before the law occurring between approximately 1950 and 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_rights_movement

My hairdresser is 23 years old. I was shocked when we talked about music my last cut and she really had no idea who the Grateful Dead or Jerry Garcia were. She had heard of Bob Marley, but only kind of knew who he was. I'll have to make her a mix tape! It actually would be hilarious if I did that: Here you go! [What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing!?]

Seeing as the Denver Bronco's are going to iPads for their plays. Can we still call it a "playbook" or "drawing" up plays?

I will laugh my ass off when a "bounty hacker" is paid by Bill Bellichick to obtain it. Bill is so far ahead of the game that he's already looking for the crumbs Bill Gates lefts behind.

I had a meeting with a very talented comic book artist yesterday who was in his mid to late 20s. When he was paying his tab, he asked me what 10% of $26.00 was. So apparently today's youts don't even know what math was.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well if you're from Buffalo, of course you know what a 45 is. Starting sometime around the mid to late 70's, time has stood still in Buffalo. For proof, look no further than the hairstyle of any native female strolling the sidewalks of WNY, or turn on any local FM radio station and you're certain to hear Rush or Triumph within the hour. I'll bet you have 78's in your collection! :-)

For proof, look no further than the hairstyle of any native female strolling the sidewalks of WNY, or turn on any local FM radio station and you're certain to hear Rush or Triumph within the hour.

And the Tragically Hip are "this new band rocking the charts".

I will laugh my ass off when a "bounty hacker" is paid by Bill Bellichick to obtain it. Bill is so far ahead of the game that he's already looking for the crumbs Bill Gates lefts behind.

I will remember this post when 10 years from now that becomes a headline! :beer:

According to Websters Dictionary

Film - 4. Motion Picture.

It does not matter the specific media, it is still "film"!

No, a "film" in that definition is an artistic or industry product, which still gets its name from the plastic strip of material it was recorded on, just like "taping" a TV show.

"tape" and "film" are old school terms but at the same time I would never replace them for any other terms during my lifetime (34 currently). They are true football terms that the game was built around, and frankly, just sound cool. I think they are words that embody the true meaning of Football.

Go Bills

"tape" and "film" are old school terms but at the same time I would never replace them for any other terms during my lifetime (34 currently). They are true football terms that the game was built around, and frankly, just sound cool. I think they are words that embody the true meaning of Football.

Go Bills

Since we're on the subject of good old school football terms, then we need to go back to "chalkboard" and "overhead projector" as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Go Bills

It's all just video man. It's just video.

I discovered something semi-interesting last week. Try this out on somebody under 30 years old..ask them what a 45 is as it relates to music and records. They won't know. They think it has something to do only with a pistol.

Most of my friends are musicians and several have released singles recently. I was curious about the term "single" and how it's differentiated from the other tracks. Back in my era, a single meant a 45rpm record - or more commonly known as a "45". Lord knows what the answer would be if asked about 8 tracks.

I still use my windup Victorolla

I can't believe there is actually a thread devoted to this subject, but since there is, I would kind of like to know what the OP has in mind. What would you prefer? Perhaps something like "Well, we went back and watched a digital rendering of actual events and we think the guy can play." Please, when people say they watched "tape" they mean they watched game recordings or game "film". I think everyone pretty much understands that.