UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

The fact that Fitz played with 4 cracked ribs and played poorly in spots and still Thigpen was not on the field pretty much sums up what chan thinks of him. Young is 31-19 as a started and has a lot of the tools you need to be an elite qb. I can not see how bringing him is as a back up is a bad thing. I think this also shows how the front ofice thinks. They couldn't improve the qb postion with their draft picks but since the draft ended they signed two udfa and now are bringing in young.

I'd be willing to bet that Chan Gailey thinks more highly of Fitz then anyone on this board realizes, in all aspects. Gailey had visions of the playoffs or at least a winning season and just kept throwing trying to win games last season. I'd also be willing to bet that Chan thinks more highly of Fitz then he does Fred Jackson.

The mere fact that the last two years Gailey didn't draft a QB of any sort tells me he loves him some Fitz.

Anyway, Gailey needs to realize that Fitz is not Tom Brady and he doesn't have the offensive horsepower just yet to keep calling shotgun, empty backfield 5 WR sets with only one good WR (SJ).

PS. now that I think about it VY might be a waste of time, that new QB coach needs to spend all his time of working with Fitz and the un drafted rookie QB Aaron Corp

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need to be an !@#$ and ask if I hear you? Honestly, you the F&^* are you? You seem to be yet another poster on this board that can't provide facts to back up their opinion or accept that other may disagree and provide facts showing their position.

There's a tendency around here to take someone's mild suggestion and inflate it. Nothing personal. "You the F&^*" am I? Nobody important, but I've been around here for awhile.

I can pull out Young's stats vs. Thigpen's if you want. I think they are better in terms of what you want in a backup. It's a waste of time but I'll do it if it will make me a better member of this forum in your book.

Would that make you feel better? As for the other comments, if a guy is content to be a backup, I don't really want him here. But he should be focusing that desire and energy in the right way. If VY carries himself as in the past, with a sense of entitlement, say "no thanks." If he carries himself with a drive to get better and create opportunities for himself, then I don't see the harm in a low-cost flyer on the guy to upgrade Thigpen - and maybe something more down the road,

If we get VY, cool. If not, also cool. Doesn't matter really. It's all about Fitz. Now here's my question to a lot of you VY haters. If Fitz had to be taken out of the game, would you rather Thigpen or VY? Think about that and then talk. IMO, VY is an upgrade over Thigpen and a downgrade against Fitz.

PS. now that I think about it VY might be a waste of time, that new QB coach needs to spend all his time of working with Fitz and the un drafted rookie QB Aaron Corp

What in the world?! I would wager that VY is better than Corp, I'll also say I think he is better than Thigpen. Why would you want your qb coach spending his time with the udfa? I'm not saying he should be completely ignored just be realistic. Corp is no Hamdan after all!

I'm all in for VY. He has better physical tools than any qb we have on the roster bar none. With Gailey's rep for getting the most out of qbs why not give it a shot. Fitz has been given the reigns and an opportunity to prove he is the real deal this year, but what if he doesn't? What if he falls apart this year again (injured or not)? Does he get another year? I would imagine it is put up or shut up time for Fitz and view this VY thing as Chixley just trying to improve the overall talent on the team. Not start a pr war, not cause a locker room disturbance, not make Fitz uncomfortable, just improve the team.

After the draft there was a thread about the weak spots on the team. Nearly everyone that posted in it wanted to improve the back up qb position. Now that it is being looked into people are upset that its a former pro bowler?! I guess all you negative nancies have had a hard time this year with all of the good in this off season so you gotta get it in somewhere but wow. :wallbash:

On a side note: Can people stop killing him for the Dream Team quote? You have a problem with him thinking he had joined a great team? Think about what all the pundits were saying before the last season, how great the Eagles were going to be, how awesome their offseason was. He was on board with those sentiments and echoed them big deal. I want every player on the Bills to think they play for the best team in football! It is not even on the radar for why the Eagles stunk last year and was a media thing that got driven into the ground. Their lack of d/lbs along with an unhealthy Vick hurt them more than a comment made by the back up qb in tc did.

What the VY visit shows me is that this front office is attempting to upgrade a glaring weakness. As it stands the Bills are in a very precarious position with Thigpin as a backup. Whatever roster upgrading Nix has done over the past few years would go to waste if the ineffective Thigpin is called on to play.

Nix is at a preliminary stage of trying to find options for Thigpin as our backup. The visit of VY doesn't mean that he is going to be signed. If there are better options I'm sure he will pursue them.

I don't understand the anxiety that a VY visit to OBD is causing some people. What I find tiresome is some of the comments coming from the pristine "moralists" suggesting that VY doesn't meet the lofty moral standards of a Bills' player. That righteous attitude is revolting. The judgmental attitude exhibited by some that you have to meet a special lofty western NY moral code in order to play for the Bills is absurd. Let me remind the puritans that Travis Henry played for the Bills and so did O.J., an unconvicted murderer. Were they the type of people who exemplified high character? So let's stop with this exceptionalism attitude.

Edited by JohnC

Well this will certainly get ESPN's attention.

1.) VY "Dream Team" comment was played non stop on ESPN throughout the season. (They were actually 1 W away from knocking the Giants out of the playoffs)

2.) Then you got the whole 2006 #1 pick thing-a-thang.

3.) You might as well go after Reggie Bush too. You can collect all 3!

The fact that Fitz played with 4 cracked ribs and played poorly in spots and still Thigpen was not on the field pretty much sums up what chan thinks of him. Young is 31-19 as a started and has a lot of the tools you need to be an elite qb. I can not see how bringing him is as a back up is a bad thing. I think this also shows how the front ofice thinks. They couldn't improve the qb postion with their draft picks but since the draft ended they signed two udfa and now are bringing in young.

You took the words out of my mouth. If Thigpen wasnt considered an option to back up a clearly struggling and suffering Fitz, how is he an answer? VY may not be the answer, but Thigpen definitely isn't. If we get him for a fair deal, I think we'll have had an offseason to remember.

If you look at Young's career stats, they are pretty unimpressive (57% completion percentage, 46-51 TD to INT ratio). The exception is over 500 yards rushing and 7 rushing TD's as a rookie. On the other hand, the guy was an incredible college player and has amazing physical tools. Sometimes the light never comes on for a QB and sometimes it comes on late in a career. He's 29 and if he's signed, it's to COMPETE for a back-up job. The FO and coaching staff will have an entire pre-season to see if the skills are still there, if his head is in the game, if he will be a good fit in the locker room, etc. I really hope that they sign him. The upside is there and there is very little, if any, downside. The only downside I can see is that you'd be signing Young and bypassing another candidate for bak-up QB. Who exactly would that be?

You sayin he's smarter than Mitt Romney?

Just a joke. Someone confused VY for Mike Vick. The reference was about Roethlisberger and Plaxico.

No confusion, just yanking some "chains". I liked your responses. :)

He sounds unenthused.

I think that's a bit of a reach. If he was unenthused, I don't think he would have posted anything.

To borrow a line from Bulldog on WGR, after the offseason Nix has put together so far, he has a HUGE line of credit with me. If he thinks it's a good idea, what in the blue hell happened to the "In Buddy we trust" mantra?!

You happy with Thigpen as our back up QB?

REALLY?

Why do people think there are only 2 options here? This isn't a case of Thigpen or Young, take it or leave it. There's plenty of people here that don't like either option, and there are other QBs out there.

I don't understand the anxiety that a VY visit to OBD is causing some people. What I find tiresome is some of the comments coming from the pristine "moralists" suggesting that VY doesn't meet the lofty moral standards of a Bills' player. That righteous attitude is revolting. The judgmental attitude exhibited by some that you have to meet a special lofty western NY moral code in order to play for the Bills is absurd. Let me remind the puritans that Travis Henry played for the Bills and so did O.J., an unconvicted murderer. Were they the type of people who exemplified high character? So let's stop with this exceptionalism attitude.

What I find tiresome is the hyperbole. I don't see any pristine "moralists" here or people claiming that there are "lofty moral standards" to play for the Bills. What thread are you reading? I see a lot of people that don't want a mentally unstable QB to come in and screw up what looks to be a promising season. I doubt there's a single person in the Eagles organization that thinks VY helped their team last year. That's the reality of the situation.

And even if there were a "lofty western NY moral code," the fact that you brought up OJ, a man who was charged 15 years after he left the organization, really puts the stamp on how idiotic your post was.

I would have no issue with them bringing him in to camp.

It has nothing to do with record as starter - teams have records, not players. He would be told that he is expected to be a team player and support stater. He would be told he needs to do whatever the Bills need to do, even run scout team.

I would expect him to want to compete but he would have to understand that Fritz is starter unless evidence is overwhelming in favor of him and while offense may have a few plays inserted for him it will not be retooled for him during this off-season. He would need to compete to even get a roster spot.

if the Bills do bring them in they have to either have a contract with him which is incentive-based or that they can afford if another backup QB position is cut,

From Chris Brown:

During Wednesday morning’s Vince Young workout at One Bills Drive a handful of players on Buffalo’s roster ran routes for the free agent quarterback.

Wide receivers David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt and C.J. Spiller all participated and caught passes from Young.

From Chris Brown:

During Wednesday morning’s Vince Young workout at One Bills Drive a handful of players on Buffalo’s roster ran routes for the free agent quarterback.

Wide receivers David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt and C.J. Spiller all participated and caught passes from Young.

Done already? That was quick...