UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

Young could be the Wildcat guy that see's 5-10 snaps a game, and is also insurance if Fitz went down.

If you think he i snot better then Pigpen, you are severally misguided.

The only thing i would worry about is a 'controversy' with fans if Fitz had a bad game or two. Buffalo is a very loyal fan base, but even Reich at times was called to play ahead of Kelly.

All in all i would leav eit up to Chan grilling him and seeing how well he can understand terminology.

If Buddy and Chan think it is a good fit, and Young is willing to accept where he is in his career- a backup- then i am for it.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at this way: who is the closest thing to Frank Riech out there. That's who we want on the team. Trent Edwards is not Frank Riech, and neither is Thigpen.

People forget, but it wasn't always smurfs and flowers with Jim Kelly.

Plenty of people wanted to start Frank Riech(not saying it was rational :lol:), just to defend against Kelly throwing a big pick that would cost us the game.

I prefer to look at this as: as a fan base, we are still adjusting to all of this. This off-season is like overload, compared to the last 8 off-seasons. Nobody knows how to react. :D

Thankfully we will have all summer to process what has happened to this team, and iron out our thinking.

Rosenthal's on board with it.

The smattering of national reactions I've seen are generally positive, which reflects well on the growing buzz about Chan and the Bills in general...

It's Always Sunny In Phiadelphia:

"Overall, I guess the biggest surprise for me with Young wasn't that he threw eight interceptions in three starts or had trouble picking up the offense - the lockout and the lack of offseason work made a decent excuse for at least part of that. I just never saw, from a guy who always looked a little flabby in the locker room, the athlete and leader who willed Texas to win that Rose Bowl. Under pressure, Young looked kind of lumbering and heavy-footed. And his decision-making was just horrendous.

That last part was the killer. That's what NFL quarterbacks are, decision-makers. If you can't master that part, you can't play, regardless of size, arm strength, whatever."

Do we really want a guy who thinks like this:

“Everybody keeps putting it in the wrong sequence. I didn’t say ‘Dream Team’ like ‘Dream Team.’ It’s like you are dreaming, like me and you dream about eating a nice burger or something, put it in those terms and just more so the respect that I have for the players from (Dominique Rodgers) Cromartie, from Nnamdi (Asomugha), to Mike Vick and the players that we had around,” he said. “I was just feeling very respectful towards those guys and that’s what I meant by that situation.”

Edited by Lurker

All i remember about vince young is that a few years ago he singlehandedly kicked buffalo's butt with both his passing and his running. He is multi talented, if chan can help him get his head on straight he could become born again into a competent qb.

Conflicted on this one.... he impressed me during his rookie campaign, he's not a complete QB but skill wise I think he is probably one of the top 45 QB's in this league and an upgrade over Thigpen. I think Chemistry is overated and because its very hard to judge becomes a catch-all explanation for why a team is struggling or having success, plus the problem can be solved rather quickly by just cutting VY if he acts out.

My downside, is it that Andy Reid can get the most out any QB. Kevin Kolb played at a pro bowl level for Reid but he looked lost in Arizona, I just wonder why the eagles left him go.

VY had a quote on leaving the iggles, "One of the biggest things there was I asked Andy, ‘could I be part of the team again?' He was like ‘I would love for you to stay here but you're not a backup quarterback' so when I heard the big guy, big red, say that it showed me more confidence and more respect that he had for me when he said he wanted to see me somewhere playing".

When I read that I was like yeh that's B.S., If Reid thought he was a starter he would hold onto him. Teams just don't give away assets

Specialy cause Vick has a hard time stayiing healthy. Wouldn't u want a "starter" to be your backup QB knowing Vick isn't going 2 stay healthy!

On antother note ,,,,,, Trentative Edwards was kept! I just don't know!

kafka is the real person that beat out Young, not edwards.

With that said, I don't know how much an improvement Young would be over what we have, and I personally don't care if they sign him or not. If he is an improvment, i don't think it is that much. But I absolutly love that they are bringing people in. It is really sending a message out there to the lockerroom, the fans, the league, everyone, that this team is going to get better every chance they get. I even think that if they don't make an offer to young after working him out, it will send another message that we aren't desperate, and won't settle for just anyone, with will attract better players as well.

No harm in this... far better than any of our backups... this is one of those things to NOT worry about

That is, until Fitz suffers some off-the-wall injury (heaven forbid) and suddenly this fan base has to figure out if V. Young is a guy they can really get behind. IMO it's better to have that ironed out sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, this guys's reputation automatically puts him on a short leash with the fans, as well as with OBD. I'm generally liberal in these matters, but Vince seems to have a knack for doing, and/or saying the wrong thing at the worst possible time.

He's easily an upgrade over Thigpen. -There's no doubting that. The question for me is whether or not this is the best situation for a guy like Vince Young to have his last chance. Because from the looks of it, that is exactly what this will be.

Well I'm not the one who compared him to McNair.. you did. Obviously he isn't as good as Steve McNair.

Vince Young just played a whole year in Philadelphia and no one was clamoring for him to be the starter. If he comes to buffalo, he will know his place and Fitz will have to play just plain awful for the fans to start calling for Vince. You can't fault the guy for wanting to be in a situation where he could start, every quarterback should want that. Why not bring him in as the backup and hope our great locker room can change his character and attitude around?

So you want a QB who can't handle pressure and who runs because he can't read defenses? When faced with [ressure a QB has to overcome it - he as shown time and time again that he can' . Where has he shown anyone that he can? There is a reason why the guy scored a 6 on his Wonderlic, that was then all of a sudden bumped up to a 12 because the NFL/Titans/His Agent couldn't have the world knowing that he has the mental capacity of a grasshopper.

And for the other poster who had to comment that I used Wiki, I used it cause it was easier, but those are the facts and if you so want google the articles yourself. It was more concise there with the same damn story! Don't believe - look it up!

You just expect him to know his place even though he is out there quoting his last coach he should be a starter? You are making assumptions without any facts. At least my post had facts in it. You try to pump up his QB play with his running ability. He can't read D, when he feels heat he runs. He never made the Titans any better and cost a damn good coach his job because he was such a headcase!

This is yet another classic case of Git-R-done Buddy I've heard of him. I want to upgrade our back and even our starter, but this guy? You are :censored:ing nuts!

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

Interesting read:

“When I land somewhere, sure I’d like to (start). Everybody feels that way. But all I can do is come in and compete. It is like I am getting drafted all over again, you go in and compete and let the coaches and front office people make the decision.”

Maybe he is maturing a bit...

Not going to attempt to read all 11 pages, but just gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

This is a fantastic idea to bring him in for a workout. Why...simply because its just a workout. Let our coaches see what kind of workout this kid can put together, I mean there is literally no risk here. There is no question he is the most gifted QB currently available on the market, so bring him in and see if the coaches see enough potential to take a flyer on rebuilding his career. If Chan can get what he got out of Thigpen in KC and get what he gets out of Fitz, then you have to be optimistic about Chans ability to work with Vince.

He will come cheap and be a guy that will easily push for the back up job, if not win it out right. So one would think he should be an upgrade over Thigpen at least and probably cheaper assuming he impresses in his workout and shows the right mental attitude. At the same time, if Chan could resurrect this kids career and coach him up, he has the potential to push to start if Fitz can't find some consistency this year or if Fitz gets hurt.

As we sit right now, I would take Fitz over Young all day of course. So I am not saying he is some automatic upgrade. But lets face facts, Fitz has still not ever put together a consistent season in his entire career and still has question marks himself. Fitz is easily the safer bet right now and the better QB until proven otherwise, but Young does have a lot of ability, and Chan has a knack for getting the most out of his QB's. So if Chan can turn Vince around somehow and help him realize his potential then he could be a very dangerous QB.

All of this are big "ifs" though, but the point is the Bills have nothing to lose bringing this guy in and seeing what the staff thinks of him. And if they give him a shot and sign him to compete, then even better and still no risk because he will be cheap and can be easily cut if he doesnt work out.

I am no fan of Young, but at the same time I recognize his potential is still there and I have a lot of faith in Chans ability to maximize the talents of his QB's. Poor Chan just hasn't had a lot of talented QB's to work with.