RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

Everyone defending the pick keeps mentioning how much they throw the ball in today's NFL and you need to stop the pass.

My problem with that line of thought? The Bills themselves have no one other than Stevie to throw it to. There was a potentially elite WR sitting there and we passed. I really think IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO WIN THIS YEAR AND NOT CONTINUING THE NEVER-ENDING REBUILD that wide receiver was a much bigger need. We have talent at CB. Sure its aging talent, but its more than at WR. But I'm just whining right? We will get someone from UB in the 7th that will solve all of our WR issues.

There are rounds between 1 and 7 you know....

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone defending the pick keeps mentioning how much they throw the ball in today's NFL and you need to stop the pass.

My problem with that line of thought? The Bills themselves have no one other than Stevie to throw it to. There was a potentially elite WR sitting there and we passed. I really think IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO WIN THIS YEAR AND NOT CONTINUING THE NEVER-ENDING REBUILD that wide receiver was a much bigger need. We have talent at CB. Sure its aging talent, but its more than at WR. But I'm just whining right? We will get someone from UB in the 7th that will solve all of our WR issues.

I don't think anyone is denying that WR is a need. Fans tend to act like the first round pick is your only pick you get. We have 9 more picks.

Who knows how they had Floyd rated? Perhaps they had him as a 2nd round talent. Perhaps his red flags were too much to ignore. Both positions were undeniably needs. They picked who they thought was the better player.

The front office and fan base are in total win-now mode. WR takes a longer time to develop than CB. It's very likely Gilmore will have a greater rookie impact than Floyd.

I had my heart set on Kuechly, but it wasn't to be. Personally its hard to get excited about drafting a CB, I think the last coach/gm ruined that for me.

But from what I read, Gilmore sounds like a safe choice and here's to hoping he's that impact player for us for years to come!

I just hope we're not developing another top DB for some other team to scoop up in 4 years….as it feels like we've been doing for the past decade.

Go Bills!

While people want to pick apart this pick, they also seem to forget that when things went bad last year, our defense was horrid. Say what you want about the offense' struggles late in the year, the defense was much much worse. There was a 3-4 game stretch (Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets) there where opposing team's offenses walked up and down the field on us and put us in big hole to start the game. We all know Fitzy and company aren't built to come back from multiple TD holes and that is what happened late in the year. Once we got into these holes, we had no choice, but to throw the ball and get us out of our offensive gameplan. I honestly feel that if we have a more stout defense this year, then the offense will be just fine and be able to produce enough points and hopefully wins for us. Plus, as many have mentioned, this is a passing league and the way to address it is through a pass rush and solid corner play. I think we've addressed both on paper so far. Let's see the moves we have made actually pay dividends

Can anyone tell me what happens to the defensive secondary when a team has a bad defense with virtually no pass rush all game long?

Was this position that great a need when the team took DB Aaron Williams with a #2 last year?

Anyway, Mike Mayock did have the kid ranked as his #8 out of his top 100 players. So lets see what happens the next few days

There are up to 5 db's on the field every play. So Williams and Gilmore fill 2 of those spots. The ultimate goal is to keep Florence off.

Can anyone tell me what happens to the defensive secondary when a team has a bad defense with virtually no pass rush all game long?

Was this position that great a need when the team took DB Aaron Williams with a #2 last year?

1. Yeah, the Bills did absolutely nothing about their pass rush this offseason. :wallbash:

2. Most of the time you will have 5/6 DBs on the field. 1 CB last year all of a sudden solves all of your CB needs?

Why do the Bills continuously have hard ons for DBs that are a dime a dozen? Take two steps forward with Williams and Anderson and five steps back with a wasted draft pick. This team just doesn't get it. This team needs offensive weapons for the noodle armed QB it has, but hey, let's draft defense so we don't have to rely on scoring points. :wallbash:

F++kin' brilliant post. :blink: QB? Did we pass on a stud QB in rd1? If you hate the Gilmore pick then you must think the Cowboys are idiots for trading up to grab a "dime a dozen" CB! Ponderous!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know for a fact the "draft experts" had McLovin rated #1 CB that draft.

PTR

He was the No. 1 or No. 2 CB prospect coming out. But when you look at the pre-draft analysis, most of McKelvin's superlatives revolved around special teams, not CB. The analysis on Gilmore is completely different.

NFL.com - Leodis

He was the No. 1 or No. 2 CB prospect coming out. But when you look at the pre-draft analysis, most of McKelvin's superlatives revolved around special teams, not CB. The analysis on Gilmore is completely different.

NFL.com - Leodis

When you read the negatives, jesus, he still does all of them. Not being able to locate the ball, CHECK. Gets fooled by pump fakes and play-action, CHECK. Spends too much time looking into the backfield and gets burned for it, CHECK.

What Levy and Jauron saw in him, I have no idea. He was a great PR in college and thats it.

NFL.com - Leodis

I was just pointing out that no one considered McLovin a reach or potential bust at the time. If anything it reflects badly on the Kiper types who fawn over middling players.

The Buddy Nix rule is: 1) 3-4 year starter, 2) play in top conference 3) dominate. Think of the heartbreak we could have avoided if the Bills followed that obvious guideline? But, no. People swallow the hype and You Tube highlight videos and you wind up with Aaron Maybin.

Gilmore passes the Buddy test.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I refer you to the "must have" receivers everyone was dying to get in the first round in 08 and how we were doomed when we didn't get them- Limas Swede, Devin Thomas. Oh but everyone was stoked when we got James Hardy in the 2nd!

We do NOT have good consistent talent at CB- McGee plays 3 games a year, Florence gets burned consistently and McKelvin is on his way out the door due to being terrible.

Basic fan knowledge on this site has devolved tremendously the past couple of years. The number of "I don't know him, so I'm mad" posts are asinine.

Edited by ndirish1978

F++kin' brilliant post. :blink: QB? Did we pass on a stud QB in rd1? If you hate the Gilmore pick then you must think the Cowboys are idiots for trading up to grab a "dime a dozen" CB! Ponderous!

PTR

These "wasted pick" posters never seem to offer up who should have been taken and why (in terms of draft value), or acknowledge that CB was an area of need. Just whaa, whaa, whaa.

No insight, no value to their posts. Put 'em on ignore...

The Buddy Nix rule is: 1) 3-4 year starter, 2) play in top conference 3) dominate. Think of the heartbreak we could have avoided if the Bills followed that obvious guideline?

McLuv'n would never have been a Buddy pick based on the conference he played in and level of competition he faced.

In Buddy's mind, production against top-flight SEC teams is the crucible that makes a potential NFL starter, not dazzling measurables or the dreaded "potential" label. Pretty smart approach...

I was just pointing out that no one considered McLovin a reach or potential bust at the time. If anything it reflects badly on the Kiper types who fawn over middling players.

The Buddy Nix rule is: 1) 3-4 year starter, 2) play in top conference 3) dominate. Think of the heartbreak we could have avoided if the Bills followed that obvious guideline? But, no. People swallow the hype and You Tube highlight videos and you wind up with Aaron Maybin.

Gilmore passes the Buddy test.

PTR

I just replied to your post because it was the easiest one that captured the talking point of what were McKelvin's pre-draft grades.. Not saying that you advocated the pick.

NFL.com - Leodis

"Will fight for the ball in a crowd (shows good courage) and gets excellent elevation to combine with solid body control adjusting to the ball in flight..."

:blink::blink::blink:

Hold on... Glimore is every bit of the player claiborne is ... just less hyped...

He was shut down corner, and was physically and combine wise he was better than claibourne imma sec and big ten guy.... he is what Robert Griffin is to Andrew Luck when it comes to CB

So that means claibourne is over hyped of Gilmore is very underrated...

Edited by TheBackupQB

I didn't know much about this kid before last night, but from what I've read, I like him. There are very few sure things in life and the NFL Draft, but there are many signs Gilmore will be successful. He's smart, mature, graduated high school early to enroll in time for spring practices at South Carolina and started as a true freshman. He's been described as stoic and soft-spoken, so what many read as a lack of excitement on his face last night was really just his reserved personality. Kinda like Mario, I guess. Still waters can run very deep.

Looking forward to the rest of the draft and this season!