Best 5TH round draft ever

1B4IDie

Wow!

The Bills certaintly caught some major talent falling through the draft.

I liked Zebrie as 3rd rounder.

And look you get Tank the Tank in the 5th sure to be a fan favorite.

If I just switch TJ Whatshisname with Sanders, this is looking like an A draft.

Pretty happy now.

Wow!

Pretty happy now.

Someone else said the same thing earlier. His last name is Graham.

I don't know how anybody can get excited about draft picks unless they are 1st round talent and until a.) training camp starts and the player drafted displays reasons why he deserves to make the opening day roster and b.) said player doesn't get hurt in camp.

Also- everyone likes to dog Bills draft picks from Buddy's first year, but it takes time for draft picks to develop. 3-5 years.

I don't see any sense in criticizing picks unless it 3+ years in; and I likewise don't see any sense in getting excited about players that basically, at this point, are unproven at the NFL level and just fill a position on the team.

If these guys make the roster and contribute, then I'll be celebrating!

I don't know how anybody can get excited about draft picks unless they are 1st round talent and until a.) training camp starts and the player drafted displays reasons why he deserves to make the opening day roster and b.) said player doesn't get hurt in camp.

Also- everyone likes to dog Bills draft picks from Buddy's first year, but it takes time for draft picks to develop. 3-5 years.

I don't see any sense in criticizing picks unless it 3+ years in; and I likewise don't see any sense in getting excited about players that basically, at this point, are unproven at the NFL level and just fill a position on the team.

Then don't check this board or post during the draft, if you don't understand.

Buddy's first real draft was last year when he didn't have to rely on Modrak and our old scouts...

I was thinking about how this is the happiest I've ever seen our fan base, at least in the Internet age, about a draft.......And, then I thought about Modrak being gone and if there is a connection?!?

Wow!

Pretty happy now.

I think people are greatly under-estimating the impact this guy will have on special teams and offense. Chan knows how to use this type of athlete. Even if we overspent a bit for him, we should now enjoy the fact that he is on our team.

I was thinking about how this is the happiest I've ever seen our fan base, at least in the Internet age, about a draft.......And, then I thought about Modrak being gone and if there is a connection?!?

Last vestige of the Tom Donahoe era?

even though i'm a sucker for the draft, this is dead on the money.

So can we FINALLY call McKelvin a bust and move onward?

I wonder this will help McKelvin. He can cover really well. He just has no ball skills - can't time his jump, etc. Maybe now he will be on on a much lesser receiver - will be able to cover him, and it won't be a #1 type who has great ball skills, so the QB won't throw a jump ball to the guy?

And, then I thought about Modrak being gone and if there is a connection?!?

Even more than Donahoe, I've been thinking that Modrak was the cause of the clusterfluck drafting we suffered through during those dark days.

TD wasn't a personnel guy (more like fantasy football geek) and relied on Modrak's board and evaluations to our detriment.

I'll never forget a comment Donahoe made when we drafted Mike Williams--that he'd never interviewed him prior to the pick! :wallbash:

Garbage in, garbage out...

I wonder this will help McKelvin. He can cover really well. He just has no ball skills - can't time his jump, etc. Maybe now he will be on on a much lesser receiver - will be able to cover him, and it won't be a #1 type who has great ball skills, so the QB won't throw a jump ball to the guy?

Based on the people you hang out with, I don't know whether I can give much credence to your opinions.

:)

I think its a combo of things

- Keep in mind that this is the first year in what seems like an eternity that the bills were major players in free agency.....they had the money to spend....but they ended up "waiting for the blue light special" and then ended up giving stupid money to players that didnt deserve it.....but that is kinda getting on a tangent

- With weaknesses identified and addressed......with players resigned......we allowed the draft to come to us......we went bpa in the rounds....and were rewarded not only with quality.....but needs fell to us as well (glenn)

- I expected a sanders type OL pick as the remedy to our needs.....instead we got him AND we got a 1st round talent in the second......

This draft played out perfectly for us because we didnt sit back in free agency....if we would have had to take Melvin Engram for pass rush the draft would have fell much differently for us

nope we cant. as you may recall... he was quite good after being sent back to returns only. will he ever be a #2 corner? not likely, but i think he will play as hard as he can for us till contract is due and we will value him correctly at that time. Then see if he can fit here.

We did the right thing with McGee and he accepted. Florence will be in the same boat soon enough, and we will draft two more corners next year so these guys will decide their own fate come next contract.

Wanny must know that we cant leave Leodis alone in coverage on the outside anyway

Even more than Donahoe, I've been thinking that Modrak was the cause of the clusterfluck drafting we suffered through during those dark days.

TD wasn't a personnel guy (more like fantasy football geek) and relied on Modrak's board and evaluations to our detriment.

I'll never forget a comment Donahoe made when we drafted Mike Williams--that he'd never interviewed him prior to the pick! :wallbash:

Garbage in, garbage out...

Buddy, like Polian and Butler is a scout through and through. I love what Buddy is doing with Whaley and making him go scout players. TD was never a scout and relied on people like Modrak & Guy. The way to be a great GM is to be able to scout players yourself.

The effects of Butler leaving crippled this franchise as he took the entire scouting department with him. TD came is and filled positions he just never got the right people and they lasted here until Nix got rid of them. We were dumb enough after sacking TD we kept these guys until Buddy tossed them out. In hindsight it is a head scratcher that no one was able to identify this as an issue until Nix. Yeah Levy is a HOF coach and not a GM, but being as smart as he is, he should have seen the issues...

Leo Roth's article today Link is hilarious, but true...

"Buddy Nix is everybody’s favorite uncle.

You look forward to going over to his house, just to hear him talk. He hands out silver dollars, tells jokes, has hard candy in a dish. You trust him with your football team.

In the pantheon — and some years it’s been more like an outhouse — of Buffalo Bills general managers, Tom Donahoe was your mean next door neighbor. He blew leaves on your lawn, called the police on your dog, locked his door and turned off the lights on Halloween. You didn’t trust him with your football team.

Bill Polian? Well, back in the day, he could be as cantankerous as a mountain lion with a thorn in its paw, but when he spoke, the sea parted. Did you catch him on ESPN? You trusted him with your football team and there are four AFC title trophies in a shiny case at One Bills Drive to remind you why."

I was thinking that after listening to Buddy's after draft presser live on GR last night. He just cracks me up. I love listening to Marv, and I now love listening to Buddy.

Everybody - a 21 year old kid - was "that old boy.".........He's talking about the LSU secondary and he's like "That guy with that nickname that I can't remember." The press corps are probably saying Honey Badger all at the same time and he goes "Yeah, yeah - Honey Bear. Or whatever. What I know is that guy can make plays."

Did you celebrate your 21st birthday after 3-5 years? Geez, don't let anyone get amped up, it might lead to rampant optimism and we just don't have enough miserable souls at TSW to counter it with endless gloom and sarcasm.

I agree that the fifth round was quite a find.

Zerbie and Tank both were quality starters for very talented teams. They were both leaders on their respective teams and both have a large amount of playing experience.

I guess you could say that about most of the picks.

What I have noticed about the draft overall:

1. High quality people. High character with no red flags. No Dre Kirkpatrick's or Janoris Jenkins'.

2. High quality talent. Mostly from the SEC, no high potential talent from small schools.

3. No injury concerns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills didn't draft anybody who missed extensive time because of injury, did they? Even Carder (who had three surgeries) never missed a start.

4. Extensive playing experience. No "one year wonders", most were three or four year starters... some with more than 50 games of experience.

The four factors above very much limit the "bust factor" IMHO.

Edited by BuckeyeBill

With regard to the title of this thread, I have been saying that this draft had the best fourth and fifth rounds I can remember. They really brought the whole thing together.

I mean this with the utmost respect to Aaron Williams who did show flashes of talent last year, but I truly believe Ron Brooks and Stephon Gilmore will be our starting CBs for years to come. There is something about Brooks...his speed, his tenacity, his fire, his humility...that just screams to me "starting caliber NFL CB". He reminds me very much of Terrence McGee in his (uninjured) prime.

Not knocking on Williams again, heck I hope he steps up and we have the enviable problem of three starting CBs on this squad.

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

I mean this with the utmost respect to Aaron Williams who did show flashes of talent last year, but I truly believe Ron Brooks and Stephon Gilmore will be our starting CBs for years to come. There is something about Brooks...his speed, his tenacity, his fire, his humility...that just screams to me "starting caliber NFL CB". He reminds me very much of Terrence McGee in his (uninjured) prime.

Not knocking on Williams again, heck I hope he steps up and we have the enviable problem of three starting CBs on this squad.

I hope you're on to something.

The Great news, is the Bills had 3 CBs on the field for a significant percentage of defensive plays last year, and will likely in the future.

I just found out yesterday that Claiburne is NOT Honey Badger, I think..........So, those are two separate guys, plus Peterson was there last year??......No wonder Brooks wasn't starting!

Buddy's first real draft was last year when he didn't have to rely on Modrak and our old scouts...

Buddy, like Polian and Butler is a scout through and through. I love what Buddy is doing with Whaley and making him go scout players. TD was never a scout and relied on people like Modrak & Guy. The way to be a great GM is to be able to scout players yourself.

So in Buddy's first draft, depite being a "scout through and through", he relied on Modrak? And then you go on to rip TD for....relying on Modrak?

The 2010 draft was all Buddy/Chan, through and through. Why pretend it wansn't?

Edited by Mr. WEO

So in Buddy's first draft, depite being a "scout through and through", he relied on Modrak? And then you go on to rip TD for....relying on Modrak?

The 2010 draft was all Buddy/Chan, through and through. Why pretend it wansn't?

I personally don't give Nix a pass for 2010.

I think the point that was trying to be made is the actually scounting staff changed from 2010. So the source material for making decisions in 2011 and 2012 is from Buddy's guys.

Where the source material for making decisions in 2010 was going back to TD.

Those are facts.

You can argue Buddy may have taken too long to fix it but there appears to be a difference in draft quality from 2010 to 2011 and 2012.

Still early but there appears to be a difference.

Thats really interesting that you say that Malta...I had a very similar, there's something about him, feeling about Brooks. I hope, Williams, Brooks and Gilmore turn into one of the best CB groups in the league to go along with the awesome front 4 they've put together.

I personally don't give Nix a pass for 2010.

I think the point that was trying to be made is the actually scounting staff changed from 2010. So the source material for making decisions in 2011 and 2012 is from Buddy's guys.

Where the source material for making decisions in 2010 was going back to TD.

Those are facts.

You can argue Buddy may have taken too long to fix it but there appears to be a difference in draft quality from 2010 to 2011 and 2012.

Still early but there appears to be a difference.

That is what I was going for WSS...

In 2010 Buddy gets a bit of a pass, they still didn't know where they were going as a team, who should stay who should go. The were going to a 34 and attempted to pick those types of players. (I have no idea why they brought him back this past season). Buddy couldn't scout every last player we picked, but he Spiller liked our not was BPA. Troupe filled a need as a DT, there were lots of concerns about Cody and history shows we pass on everyone with character/workout/conditioning concerns.

Thats really interesting that you say that Malta...I had a very similar, there's something about him, feeling about Brooks. I hope, Williams, Brooks and Gilmore turn into one of the best CB groups in the league to go along with the awesome front 4 they've put together.

Regardless of who list as the starting 2 corner, we are going to have the ability to match up with each teams strengths on there respective receiving corp. And actually running game too i bet. We have guys that can hit and guys that can run. And enough that can do both now.

I must say i am giddy about our potential over the next two years with these 3 CBs plus our Veterans teaching during the transition. And now Linebackers too.

Looks at the outset we are building a Team as compared to a bunch of good players. Hopefully our coaches get them in a position to make the plays.

Wow!

Pretty happy now.

With regard to the thread title, I would remind you that the Steelers drafted Mike Webster in the 5th round (1974). Until one or both of our guys gets 4 Super Bowl rings and ends up in the Hall of Fame, it is far from the best 5th round ever.

With regard to the thread title, I would remind you that the Steelers drafted Mike Webster in the 5th round (1974). Until one or both of our guys gets 4 Super Bowl rings and ends up in the Hall of Fame, it is far from the best 5th round ever.

Yeah but you had to do some research on that.

How about Bills 5th rounders?

How about 5th

I really like the depth that the later rounds provide this team (Rounds 4-7). I don't think that any of those guys will be starters from day 1 or anything like that. But I do think that we got a lot of guys who can play some spot duty and come in for a couple of games and play decently. I thought a big weakness going into last season was depth. I think with our new defensive scheme, offseason re-signings/signings, and a solid draft class I think the team has better depth going into this season.

Yeah but you had to do some research on that.

How about Bills 5th rounders?

How about 5th

Not that much research....I am 45, after all.

Best 5th Bills fifth round? John Kidd?

I agree that Leodis is not up to par as a CB. But Leodis could go the probowl as a special team player this year. I would not quite get rid of him yet.

2012 Buffalo CB

1. Drayton

2. Williams

3. Gilmore

4. Brooks

5. Rogers

6. Leodis

Edited by Jeffery Lester

Who gives a flying !@#$ about Mike Webster and the 1974 draft. Quit being a stuck up little know it all. Just pull your steelers hoodie up tight and go get a Primanti brothers sandwich. Let the man be happy about the 5th round this year. As you go oogle your Mike Webster poster and clean up the mess with your terrible towel.

NOT SO FAST!!!

I agree that Leodis is not up to par as a CB. But Leodis could go the probowl as a special team player this year. I would not quite get rid of him yet.

2012 Buffalo CB

1. Drayton

2. Williams

3. Gilmore

4. Brooks

5. Rogers

6. Leodis

I agree Leodis needs to up his CB game, but that may yet happen. I think however, that this listing is overly optimistic by quite a lot. First of all, Florence legs are really old, and he was beaten by speed many times last year. We would be better off if he didn't make the team, although I love his heart and his willlingness to do whatever to win. And William and Rogers haven't proved anything to me yet...both appear to be a step slower than the speed burners we have (Gilmore, Brooks, McKelvin) The positive spin these two have reminds me of the Ko Simpson buzz of a few years back...Ko was a player, but slow and eventually gone. Its all about speed and making plays. McKelvin has speed, has not made plays, Williams and Rogers make some plays, but are slower and beatable by the likes of that guy Hill the Jets drafted.

Who gives a flying !@#$ about Mike Webster and the 1974 draft. Quit being a stuck up little know it all. Just pull your steelers hoodie up tight and go get a Primanti brothers sandwich. Let the man be happy about the 5th round this year. As you go oogle your Mike Webster poster and clean up the mess with your terrible towel.

You need to chill. If you would care to look at the title of the thread, it says "Best 5TH round draft ever." That does not imply any limitation to the Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers,or any other team for that matter. All I did was express my opinion, which, as long as I do not violate the TOS, I am allowed to do on this board. If you do not agree with my opinion, that is your prerogative, and you may express that too. However, I will also tell you that I am full of all kinds of veteran attitude, and how I treat you depends on how you treat me. Since you opted to blow up like a teenage girl whose mother just denied her request to use makeup, I will kindly invite you to embark on a unidirectional voyage to the infernal regions, or, if you prefer, place your lips upon my derriere and perform the act of osculation.

Kyle Williams was also a 5th round pick back in 2006.

Good point. I stand corrected.

You need to chill. If you would care to look at the title of the thread, it says "Best 5TH round draft ever." That does not imply any limitation to the Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers,or any other team for that matter. All I did was express my opinion, which, as long as I do not violate the TOS, I am allowed to do on this board. If you do not agree with my opinion, that is your prerogative, and you may express that too. However, I will also tell you that I am full of all kinds of veteran attitude, and how I treat you depends on how you treat me. Since you opted to blow up like a teenage girl whose mother just denied her request to use makeup, I will kindly invite you to embark on a unidirectional voyage to the infernal regions, or, if you prefer, place your lips upon my derriere and perform the act of osculation.

First off I do not need to chill. You need to be realistic and be able to put a statement in the proper context . A Bills fan was very excited about the recent draft. As a lot of us are. He expressed his enthusiasm, with a generalized statement. Which you took at a literal word and face value. And brought up Mike Webster from the 1974 draft to prove your point. How ridiculous is that. Are you one of those type of people who everytime someone says something you have to prove them wrong. Or just the type who likes to have big burly men place there lips on your derriere and perform the act of oscultation. My guess is probably both

Good point. I stand corrected.

I am not trying to prove the man wrong. All I did was express my opinion, which is what this board is about. I do not and will not apologize for my approach. You have the right to express your opinion in any manner you choose, just as I do in any manner I choose. If you do not agree with what I say, fine. However, I will say it again: I do things my way, and I am not about to change for you.