RD 3, Pick #69: WR TJ Graham - NC State

SDS

FWIW, Scouts, Inc. had Graham rated as the 80th best prospect in this year's draft--- taking him at 69 is not outrageous. NFL Films Greg Cosell says that although he's raw he is the most "vertically explosive WR" in the draft and has "dynamic speed".

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Steve Smith/Percy Harvin lite. He can be useful in the short passing game that Chan likes to use and also along the sideline, capable of stretching the field with his speed. He's versatile.

I'd actually use him the majority in the slot, use motion, spread offense as a Wes Welker type.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I hope this pick works out, but it seems that the best lower round receivers lately have been the slower ones with college production. Further, the last time the Bills were considered to have reached this much it was with Torrel Troup. We all know how that has worked out.

then why didnt Chan make our rag tag group or WRs any good? aside from Stevie (and maybe Nelson in the red zone) we have a whole bunch of trash who cant catch or get open

Have you ever seen blood come froma turnip? Or see water squeezed from a rock? Well chan did that with one of the less talented WR I have sever seen, not saying they are garbage because they get to do what millions wish they could do....

I always praised Chan for getting the most out of his talent.... so if he can get the most out Graham, we've added an explosive play maker potential game changer

Edited by TheBackupQB

That's what I thought when I started watching some tape. He's wicked fast.

Yup. I was amazed that it took 5 pages for people to recognize the obvious. He's not Roscoe. He's Deshaun with a working brain.

everyone wants the Calvin Johnson type..... but 3 of the top 5 wr this year were 6'0 feet or smaller

It's understandable because Megatron is a "one in a generation" talent. That size, speed, those hands, and desire to catch everything is unparalleled. It's going to be as tough to find the next Calvin Johnson as it has been to find the next Jerry Rice.

It's understandable because Megatron is a "one in a generation" talent. That size, speed, those hands, and desire to catch everything is unparalleled. It's going to be as tough to find the next Calvin Johnson as it has been to find the next Jerry Rice.

I will admit I was not super high on AJ Green when he left college, but he made some plays last year that looked pretty damn close to what Megatron brings to the table. Not nearly as strong, however. But AJ is the real deal, too.

Well on the upside if he is lee 2.0 or Parrish 2.0 they got him cheaper than both with a 3 and 7 as opposed to a first for lee and early second for roscoe. My confusion here is I don't see a big outside threat like we have always heard about bolstering the offense, but they did like the dimension Parrish added when healthy and there is a clear lack of any wr that can catch and amass big RAC....

if Easley cannot easlily beat out jones for #2, the fans will need to pin hopes on a healthy line with Glenn injected giving fitz more time while wr's separate from the press.

Does buddy ever go to the west coast while recruiting? Seems like he racks up a lot of miles on 85 and 95...

Was expecting WR, but admittedly don't know much about this guy. Anyone have some good info? And how much did we give up to move up a couple spots to get him?

We gave a 7th. Not too much.

I think we believed the Jags would take him. He's a small-school lower-rated guy: if we were scouting him and kept running into spotted-cat scouts who were drooling and pretending to be watching the OL, that'd be a clue.

Picture the emotions in Jags-land when we jumped ahead of them for a mere 7th, and they drafted a punter named "Anger" instead (can we say "caught with your pants down"? sure we can.)

He better be the best d*** punter ever seen, or the "fan love" he gets will be equal to his name.

I hear this. But we have all been hearing big outside wr's are key for THIS OFFENSE. If they said we need guys like desaun jackon this makes more a little more sense.. But I haven't. So the puzzled look across the collective fan base face is understandable.

Graham apparently opened a lot of eyes during the Senior Bowl:

Senior Bowl Rankings: Offense

Added Jan 28, 2012, Under: Scouting

Senior Bowl Top 5 Rankings:

1- TJ Graham, WR, North Carolina State: Graham definitely helped himself this week, perhaps more than any receiver here. His speed is extremely evident and he looks like he will be running in the 4.3’s in the 40 yard dash, but he also caught the ball well, created separation with his route running, and overall looked like one of the more impressive receivers here. I really liked him as a sleeper and he looked terrific in his final game at NC State, but between that and this week of productive practices he should be on everyone’s radar by now. He’s a guy that I might have a 3rd round grade on once I finish my film study on him.

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/senior-bowl-rankings-offense/

Bump!

You had me at route running creates separation...those who compare him to roscoe are doing yourself a disservice...he's a young lee Evans and that's good.

I hear this. But we have all been hearing big outside wr's are key for THIS OFFENSE. If they said we need guys like desaun jackon this makes more a little more sense.. But I haven't. So the puzzled look across the collective fan base face is understandable.

Who's been saying that?

What's been said was Bills need a WR who's effective in stretching the field to keep defenses honest and move the ball in chunks. The big "hope" was that Donald Jones was going to be the guy. Early on, it became obvious he wasn't going to be that guy. Bills brass hope that Graham will be more effective than Jones. Graham didn't have the body of work at NC State to meet the qualifications that Nix/Gailey desire, so he may be a bit of a project. But I'll go back to my original belief that Derrick Hagan will be that guy early on. Still not sold on Easley.

Have you ever seen blood come froma turnip? Or see water squeezed from a rock? Well chan did that with one of the less talented WR I have sever seen, not saying they are garbage because they get to do what millions wish they could do....

I always praised Chan for getting the most out of his talent.... so if he can get the most out Graham, we've added an explosive play maker potential game changer

Chan has been he only coach so far to get decent production from Roscoe Parrish in his career, so why couldn't he do he same with Graham?

ill take the 'hopeful, but question the pick until graham shows me something' approach. which by the way may not be this year as nix/gailey don't tend to play offensive rookies much - look at spiller who was picked #9. i won't fall in love with the pick just to avoid being called a troll.

to all those posters who reflexive have blind trust in gailey/nix/bills management and automatically criticize posters who question this pick - there are veteran posters on this board who have correctly disagreed with bills management on past picks (see maybin, mckelvin, mccargo) - so i wouldn't throw the 'troll' label around too loosely

and lastly, no has brought up that perhaps nix was suckered into trading up for this guy. there are rumors that someone was interested in taking graham before the bills 3rd rounder, forcing nix to trade a 7th. but just as nix spread the rumor that glenn wasn't a LOT to cause him the drop, some other team out there may be laughing how they got the bills to trade away a pick by dropping misinformation.

and lastly, no has brought up that perhaps nix was suckered into trading up for this guy. there are rumors that someone was interested in taking graham before the bills 3rd rounder, forcing nix to trade a 7th. but just as nix spread the rumor that glenn wasn't a LOT to cause him the drop, some other team out there may be laughing how they got the bills to trade away a pick by dropping misinformation.

Could very well be, but the cost was a minimal #7, as the Bills were intent on taking him at #3 anyway.