NCDOT Bridge on the jboyst62 farm (updated with pictures)

boyst

The soy and corn will be processed in to feeds for livestock animals. Soy is very popular this year, a lot of people are growing it; there is a push by those in the powerful places to do soy this year, next year back to corn, and etc.

True... I noticed corn being planted the last couple of years (ethanhol) all over the place... From the biggest areas... To the tightest power easements!

Does corn deplete the soil and soy help? I always thought planting alfalfa did the trick.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bunk

link

Interesting article - - thanks for posting it.

It debunks the claim that the EPA is using unmanned drones to conduct aerial surveillance, but actually confirms that the EPA uses small manned aircraft to do the same thing.

If the use of an umanned drone would be an invasion of privacy, why does the use of a small manned aircraft make it OK?

We live in a world where the public availability of ever greater technological capabilities constantly erodes each person's right to privacy, simply because people become accustomed to ever greater ease of intrusions on what used to be private. Combine that with a greater governmental need to protect against our terrorist enemies, and protecting individual privacy rights becomes a losing battle.

Our children are growing up in a world that is increasingly numb to invasions of privacy. It's sad.

But maybe I'm in the distinct minority on privacy issues. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but once attended a neighborhood watch meeting where a local police officer reported that the police had recently installed covert surveillance cameras on a street in a nearby shopping district. Out of some 20 neighbors at the meeting, I was the only one who seemed to be the slightest bit concerned about privacy issues. All I can figure is that a neighborhood watch meeting tends to attract people who are the most concerned about their own personal safety, and therefore are most likely to act like sheep.

End of mini-rant.

If the use of an umanned drone would be an invasion of privacy, why does the use of a small manned aircraft make it OK?

So when someone attempts to shoot the plane down, they can nail them for murder.

Oh, BTW Privacy is not mentioned one bit in the Constitution. That from the same issue of Time about Anthony Kennedy... :huh:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True... I noticed corn being planted the last couple of years (ethanhol) all over the place... From the biggest areas... To the tightest power easements!

Does corn deplete the soil and soy help? I always thought planting alfalfa did the trick.

It is all chemistry now. It doesn't much matter; alfalfa is big in the farming community for horses but it is hard to grow. Monsanto is working on a round up ready alfalfa plant. It is all about money now and farming has gone to the chemists, engineers and physicists. It really is quite sad, yet quite poetic; the average farmer has become nothing more then a piece of a equipment for the industry.

The soy and corn will be processed in to feeds for livestock animals. Soy is very popular this year, a lot of people are growing it; there is a push by those in the powerful places to do soy this year, next year back to corn, and etc.

Just got back from WNY; a lot of the fields that I'm used to seeing planted with corn had what looked to me like soy (a legume, at least...I guessed soy because who the hell plants that much lima beans?)

You're like a cross between a yuppie and a hayseed...

Just got back from WNY; a lot of the fields that I'm used to seeing planted with corn had what looked to me like soy (a legume, at least...I guessed soy because who the hell plants that much lima beans?)

I am not educated on row crops enough to get in to explaining it, but you PPP lovers can defiantely get over there after doing some research. There is a reason for this - and if you want to invest some money in to commodoties, consider corn. We are primed for a corn shortage due to bumper crops, government/big brother/the masons/bilderberg/etc planning. The crazy thing is that for many things the soy bean byproducts can be used for many of the same things that corn byproducts produce.

You're like a cross between a yuppie and a hayseed...

quite the dichotomy, huh? I can tear apart the tractor and fix it then hit the Belk Theatre later in Charlotte for a symphony and not miss a beat.

I am not educated on row crops enough to get in to explaining it, but you PPP lovers can defiantely get over there after doing some research. There is a reason for this - and if you want to invest some money in to commodoties, consider corn. We are primed for a corn shortage due to bumper crops, government/big brother/the masons/bilderberg/etc planning. The crazy thing is that for many things the soy bean byproducts can be used for many of the same things that corn byproducts produce.

quite the dichotomy, huh? I can tear apart the tractor and fix it then hit the Belk Theatre later in Charlotte for a symphony and not miss a beat.

Not sure some guy blowing into a jug and playing a washboard is a symphony.

• 4 months later...

Just bumping for a little bit of an update...

Last week the initial offer came back on the project last Friday. My brother was amazed, he did not think it would be as high as it is at this point. He still feels it needs to be more; as there are many things not accounted for and not addressed adequately or at all. I was surprised myself a little about how high the initial offer was, figuring it would eventually end up this high but still not be enough and have enough in a binding contract to what will clearly be done and not done for our interests.

We have been very much in the trenches on this, I have basically assembled a sheet to go by once the switch is thrown and this gets to the point where communication in negotiations break down. It is a list of media outlets who are interested in the story, a list of legislators and connected folks in the area, and a list of a few legal contacts and farming professionals. I am not trying to pressure anything but merely trying to create enough buzz that such a travesty of government is occurring that is jeopardizing an American way of life older then this country is alone.

The choice we have made to withhold creating more buzz about this and having a lawyer already involved is the $$$ amount. Although, we do stand to gain money from this we will ultimately be losing more money then we can count. I do not want to get in to much detail about this, if you'd like details PM me. I will not put out the $$ amount on a post, but it's enough to buy me a house.

Did they offer you more?

It will be a long process to get the more. Right now we are just fighting to get more clarity on what the proposals are for us to maintain operation during the process. If we cannot maintain business fully we will seek more damages. It will be weeks and weeks to get even an inch budged.

It will be a long process to get the more. Right now we are just fighting to get more clarity on what the proposals are for us to maintain operation during the process. If we cannot maintain business fully we will seek more damages. It will be weeks and weeks to get even an inch budged.

Good luck.... Sucks for you having to go through this.

Good luck.

Good luck to you sir

Need help on the farm at all?

Can't believe it hasn't already been said....

shiv the mofo

Good luck to you sir

Need help on the farm at all?

Any time you're in the area stop by. $8.50/hr for 14 hrs. Anything under 10 hr I pay just $8. Be warned. I have run Mexicans off with working too hard. They never come back except to pick up their money.

Now that is saying something.

I'll share the story just to bore you people...although, I think many of you enjoy the farm stories from your fancy high rises and Mercedes-Benz (saying that in a ridiculing and mocking voice from my rocking chair whittling wood).

Work started for them at 7:00 (brother and I up at 6ish to lay out the work). I began boring holes with an auger on a T180 then walking posts to eat hole. Brother and 4 Mexicans follow tamping in posts to make them secure. If you do not pack the dirt around them the posts will be easily pushed out and will break much earlier versus a good post can last 40 years. The posts are 3 1/2' in the ground 5" above, 5-6" around. Anyway, takes about half the day getting all the posts run, then put up 4 lines of barb wire - the posts must also be as straight in line as possible to allow the strongest structure - linear tension. So, this in the middle of August, we take 45 minutes for lunch giving them pizza. We finish the fence, maybe 1/4 mile in length, by 4:30. Nothing too crazy (I am putting up about the same length by myself in a pretty heavily wooded area alone right now).

We then move on to work on patching some fences while we have the help and since a cow has been getting out. We get that done it's nearly 6 and go to get that cow back in. We keep them out there in the woods, briars, creek, muck, swamp, etc, helping them round up this cow for at least two hours. I have been drug 100 yards with my hand caught in a lariat around a 900 lbs steer, I have ran marathons, I have been to one of the hardest wrestling camps in the country, and I have spent an hour with Beerball...I can handle a lot. The running in the woods, through briars, a creek, all that mentioned previously was hell. Getting smacked by sticks, having a cow that has been wound up, and Mexicans that barely speak English was extremely hard. Those guys were in their car headed home by 8:30 that night. My brother and I cleaned up tools and such until 10ish. It is not unheard of for the two of us to work until 4 am when he is at the farm.