John Wawrow...Please Elaborate

DC Grid

Dear John,

I saw in your contribution to the ESPN People's Mock Draft that you thought Dre Kilpatrick ("aka Kirkpatrick") was a strong possibility (reading between the lines of what you wrote, hopefully correctly). I was wondering why you thought this was the case? (Heard any rumblings to support this, etc?)

I've been thinking for quite some time that Kilpatrick is the selection as Buddy Nix is big on established SEC players, needs more CB help badly, and sees the WR position far deeper than that of CB in this draft. But it seems like most draft evaluators aren't that high on Kilpatrick, and see him as the third ranked CB in this draft, at best (behind Claibourne and Gilmore). I think the dude is like a super-sized version of Antoine Winfield, he wont have a lot of picks, but he'll give you blanket coverage and can bring the hammer in run support. I basically was hoping to see if there was anything else behind your blurb.

Thanks

Edited by DC Grid

But it seems like most draft evaluators aren't that high on Kilpatrick, and see him as the third ranked CB in this draft, at best (behind Claibourne and Gilmore).

Not high on him? All the evaluators have him as a first round draft pick and one who will go in the top 15 picks in round one. Third rated doesn't mean they aren't high on his talent.

Edited by purple haze

Not high on him? All the evaluators have him as a first round draft pick and one who will go in the top 15 picks in round one. Third rated doesn't mean they aren't high on his talent.

He wasn't the third rated that long ago, he was #2 for a while behind Claiborne, Gilmore was viewed as a second round talent until the last few weeks...

Dear John,

I saw in your contribution to the ESPN People's Mock Draft that you thought Dre Kilpatrick ("aka Kirkpatrick") was a strong possibility (reading between the lines of what you wrote, hopefully correctly). I was wondering why you thought this was the case? (Heard any rumblings to support this, etc?)

I've been thinking for quite some time that Kilpatrick is the selection as Buddy Nix is big on established SEC players, needs more CB help badly, and sees the WR position far deeper than that of CB in this draft. But it seems like most draft evaluators aren't that high on Kilpatrick, and see him as the third ranked CB in this draft, at best (behind Claibourne and Gilmore). I think the dude is like a super-sized version of Antoine Winfield, he wont have a lot of picks, but he'll give you blanket coverage and can bring the hammer in run support. I basically was hoping to see if there was anything else behind your blurb.

Thanks

i didn't write anything for ESPN. there was an ESPN writer who did interview me some weeks ago in regards to the draft. and i did appear on Sport Center this morning in their mock draft, where I reluctantly picked Kirkpatrick because we needed to have our picks locked in a week ago.

but as i noted today, i've been hearing more and more that the Bills are focusing their attention more on Barron and Stephon Gilmore. and barring Kalil or Blackmon dropping into their laps, one of those two guys will likely be the pick.

and that all is really starting to make sense. Barron is a hard-hitting safety and a bona fide top 10 talent from everything that i've read. and Gilmore might have superior skills -- and a little less off-the-field baggage -- then Kirkpatrick.

wouldn't rule out Kuechly, but i think he's on the outside of the Bills board looking in at 10.

jw

i didn't write anything for ESPN. there was an ESPN writer who did interview me some weeks ago in regards to the draft. and i did appear on Sport Center this morning in their mock draft, where I reluctantly picked Kirkpatrick because we needed to have our picks locked in a week ago.

but as i noted today, i've been hearing more and more that the Bills are focusing their attention more on Barron and Stephon Gilmore. and barring Kalil or Blackmon dropping into their laps, one of those two guys will likely be the pick.

and that all is really starting to make sense. Barron is a hard-hitting safety and a bona fide top 10 talent from everything that i've read. and Gilmore might have superior skills -- and a little less off-the-field baggage -- then Kirkpatrick.

wouldn't rule out Kuechly, but i think he's on the outside of the Bills board looking in at 10.

jw

The Barron pick is an interesting one. Guessing he would replace Wilson in a year or two?

Does Byrd move back to CB???

I don't think they're going to take Barron but I can't imagine Barron, Byrd or Wilson not starting if they did.

Byrd at FS, Barron at SS and Wilson in nickle or dime swing support, IMO.

I like George, he's been a real survior and certainly had a better career than most guys who've switched positions. But his run support isn't exceptional and at 31, his best days are probably behind him.

Barron plays like a fifth LB in run support and has enough speed to be an above average cover guy as well...

Exactly.. isnt safety one of the strongest positions on our roster?

Well...I thought it was too...But it's pretty apparent The Bills Brass does not see it that way...Or they are just collecting talent, and ignoring Team building...Which to be honest is really concerning to me...Wilson is a Team Leader and they just Drafted Searcy...I know they don't care much about Locker Room stuff when they are trying to build a better Team...I hope the Locker Room sees it the same way...Because there are bigger needs on this Team...period...

We'll see... B-)

Well...I thought it was too...But it's pretty apparent The Bills Brass does not see it that way...Or they are just collecting talent, and ignoring Team building...Which to be honest is really concerning to me...Wilson is a Team Leader and they just Drafted Searcy...I know they don't care much about Locker Room stuff when they are trying to build a better Team...I hope the Locker Room sees it the same way...Because there are bigger needs on this Team...period...

We'll see... B-)

Why, because of a rumor regarding draft picks? You seem to be getting angry before they even pick.

jw

Thanks for the insisght, John. As always, you rock. I would prefer a WR or OT but it sure looks like they are heading in the direction you are suggesting.

I'd be OK with Gilmore but I would not be happy with Barron. I just don't see safety is a position worthy of a top 10 pick especially with the depth at the position on our roster.

Exactly.. isnt safety one of the strongest positions on our roster?

I don't see either Byrd or Wilson as hard hitters and that's what Barron brings to the table. Searcy is more of a banger as well. The Bills might be leaning towards a heavier-hitting secondary if they go in this direction.

jw

I saw Kuechly's highlights on YouTube... He seems abit on the skinny side for a LB...