Buddy Nix online chat recap

Beerball

link

What is the likelihood if Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon is available at the 10 spot, that we pull the trigger?

12:01 Buddy Nix: I think one of them will be there. I'll leave it at that.

What position other than quarterback do you have grades that are worthy of the tenth pick

12:02 Buddy Nix: We've got grades on all positions that are equal to the 10th pick.

Hi Buddy, Do you see Riley Reiff as a left or right tackle in the NFL and is his arm length a concern for playing on the left side? Regards Matt Australia

12:04 Buddy Nix: His arm length is a concern and in my opinion is a better run blocker than pass protector right now.

Is draft day the most "fun" day of the year for you?

12:16 Buddy Nix: Winning on Sunday is the most fun day.

Which NEED is more important on this upcoming draft day, LB OR CB?

12:18 Buddy Nix: CB, you can't get enough of them with the way offenses are going.

etc. etc. etc.

12:22

Comment From matt

do you take a player off your board completely becuase of character concerns

12:22

Buddy Nix:

Occasionally. Each case is different.

12:25

Comment From Greg

Is there a "no brainer" picks at 10 in your mind?

Buddy Nix:

There is. I don't know if he'll be there.

Comment From Greg

Buddy Nix:

You beat me to it on this one. Very intriguing. Hopefully Buddy tells us who it is after the draft.

link

Which NEED is more important on this upcoming draft day, LB OR CB?

12:18 Buddy Nix: CB, you can't get enough of them with the way offenses are going.

etc. etc. etc.

Did I just hear a loud bang on Long Island?

Pretty clear LB isn't happening at 10 so get over it. Also, we'll have a WR and CB within the first 3 rounds (probably first 2). Also no Barron that much was obvious from the chat.

Edited by TheNewBills

I asked him if drafting or signing a certain FA is ever even slightly influenced by what the fans would like to help ticket sales.

It didn't make the cut though... not that he would have answered anything other than absolutely not most likely but it would have been interesting to get an honest take on that because I have always been curious how much that thinking goes into the process.

You beat me to it on this one. Very intriguing. Hopefully Buddy tells us who it is after the draft.

He will say it was the person they end up picking.

You do not often hear GMs saying "We wanted Jones but he went two picks before ours."

Guys he just said it makes an impact. He also talked about Vincent Jackson being one of his greatest picks and how he made probowl right away.

Yes but Jackson was a second round pick. The risk of getting an impact player there is less.

Pretty clear LB isn't happening at 10 so get over it. Also, we'll have a WR and CB within the first 3 rounds (probably first 2)

Definitely not a positive sign for us drafting Kuechly, but I still wouldn't cross him off as a possiblity.

I also agree that cornerback is a bigger need than linebacker, but I think Kuechly will be the best player available at #10.

The comment that stands out to me is Riley Reiff. Our front office hasn't made a positive comment about him once during this draft process, without also mentioning his shortcomings. If we go tackle in the first, it's much more likely to be Jonathan Martin or Cordy Glenn.

Nix seems to be very tight-lipped about Michael Floyd - and this is the second or third time I've noticed it. He hasn't been that way about any other player. It's also baffling (based on our needs and draft position) that Floyd was not in for a player visit. I think it's a smokescreen.

It's interesting that Nix thinks there is a "no brainer" pick at #10, but he isn't sure that he will be there. Based on mock drafts all around the country, the only players that Buffalo has been seriously linked to, that also may be gone before our pick are Michael Floyd and Stephon Gilmore. Think about it.

He will say it was the person they end up picking.

You do not often hear GMs saying "We wanted Jones but he went two picks before ours."

Obviously that's the standard move, but Buddy's pretty honest & forthright. If the guy he has in mind is the guy we pick, he'll definitely tell us. If not, he can't come out and crap on the guy he winds up picking, but he'll probably say that the no-brainer was gone without saying who it was. You never know, though. Last year Nix & Gailey made it pretty clear in their post-draft press conference that Dareus was #2 on their board behind Newton. We could see a similar situation this year.

Comment From Greg

Buddy Nix:

He must be talking Kalil here. Or RG3 lol

Definitely not a positive sign for us drafting Kuechly, but I still wouldn't cross him off as a possiblity.

I also agree that cornerback is a bigger need than linebacker, but I think Kuechly will be the best player available at #10.

The comment that stands out to me is Riley Reiff. Our front office hasn't made a positive comment about him once during this draft process, without also mentioning his shortcomings. If we go tackle in the first, it's much more likely to be Jonathan Martin or Cordy Glenn.

Nix seems to be very tight-lipped about Michael Floyd - and this is the second or third time I've noticed it. He hasn't been that way about any other player. It's also baffling (based on our needs and draft position) that Floyd was not in for a player visit. I think it's a smokescreen.

It's interesting that Nix thinks there is a "no brainer" pick at #10, but he isn't sure that he will be there. Based on mock drafts all around the country, the only players that Buffalo has been seriously linked to, that also may be gone before our pick are Michael Floyd and Stephon Gilmore. Think about it.

I don't think Keuchly is eliminated from consideration. He also talked about the need to bolster the LB corp.

PTR

Why do you think he has ruled out LB?

He was tilted towards discussing LB multiple times and never took the bait. He also straight up said CB is more important that LB. Keep in mind this is just for the first pick we're talking about.

Soooooo, 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 LB, 2 CB, no TE

Nix also specifically mentioned depth at both DE and DT in the middle rounds. I would expect probably one of each. Right now the backup DTs are Torrell Troup and Alex Carrington, and I doubt the Bills are super into that.

Totally disagree on the smokescreen idea. But we'll see. Regarding Kuechly, there's a chance the Panthers take him at #9, so it's still possible he's the no-brainer Nix is thinking of. Plus Nix specifically said the depth at LB is not great, so it could be a situation where he feels he has to get one high or not at all. Not predicting it, just saying you can't rule it out from this chat. I personally am ruling out Floyd based on this and other quotes, though. And if I'm wrong, I'll... not really care, because there's nothing at stake.

I think it is the opposite. I think Floyd did not impress Nix in his combine interview.