Can we talk about backup QB for a minute?

Admittedly I don't post here often, but I do read quite a bit. Something I have not noticed (and if I missed it, I apologize) is that we aren't spending a lot of time talking about our backup QB situation, or more importantly, the decision not to go to our backup QB last year when Fitz was suffering from broken ribs.

I understand that Chan Gailey (and the BBills) have not officially announced that Fitz was injured during the Skins game. I also know that it is illegal to not name a player on the injury report when he is injured. So to get confirmation is probably never going to happen beyond players stating the obvious.

All of that said, what was behind the decision to keep an injured Fitz on the field, rather than giving him 2-3 weeks off and letting Thigpen take over? If Thigpen sucks, #1, why was he ever allowed to be our backup. #2, why is he still on the team today?

If I could get Chan good and drunk, this would be the single question I would want him to answer honestly to me. Why keep a guy on your roster that wasn't better than a guy with broken ribs? Could he really have done much worse than Fitz looked the 2nd half of the season? Or was this more about chemistry and allowing Fitz to remain the unquestioned starter all season regardless of his injury and poor play?

I'd love to hear some feedback from my Bills Faithful on this.

Admittedly I don't post here often, but I do read quite a bit. Something I have not noticed (and if I missed it, I apologize) is that we aren't spending a lot of time talking about our backup QB situation, or more importantly, the decision not to go to our backup QB last year when Fitz was suffering from broken ribs.I understand that Chan Gailey (and the BBills) have not officially announced that Fitz was injured during the Skins game. I also know that it is illegal to not name a player on the injury report when he is injured. So to get confirmation is probably never going to happen beyond players stating the obvious.

All of that said, what was behind the decision to keep an injured Fitz on the field, rather than giving him 2-3 weeks off and letting Thigpen take over? If Thigpen sucks, #1, why was he ever allowed to be our backup. #2, why is he still on the team today?

If I could get Chan good and drunk, this would be the single question I would want him to answer honestly to me. Why keep a guy on your roster that wasn't better than a guy with broken ribs? Could he really have done much worse than Fitz looked the 2nd half of the season? Or was this more about chemistry and allowing Fitz to remain the unquestioned starter all season regardless of his injury and poor play?

I'd love to hear some feedback from my Bills Faithful on this.

Plenty of us have brought up this very topic. The only explanation is that Chan has no confidence in Thigpen. By leaving Fitz in simply because "he could play", he put the QB in jeopardy. At some point in orchestrating a 7 game, second half of the season losing streak, the HC has to realize the futility and danger of leaving his injured starting QB in there.

I agree that if your starters can play, they should... however I agree Mr. Weo, at some point you have to re-evaluate that plan during a 7 game losing stretch. We went from playoff bound to missing the playoffs and many could argue the play of the QB played a major role in that.

If it is a lack of confidence in Thigpen... why is he still here? That makes me question personnel decisions. It isn't as if he was a rookie and they had to give him time to develop... Thigpen has started in the NFL and played well under Gailey.

Fritz probably was not telling coaching/medical staff how tough he thinks he is (20 years they will determine that these type of injures lead to early heart attacks and NFLPA will have another lawsuit saying how teams withheld information) and that offense line production prevented any QB other than Fritz effectively behind them. The NFLPA strike / new rules also limited amount of time for contact practices hence time any QB had behind the OL to practice.

I think part of the reason Fitzpatrick played while hurt was a lack of faith in Thigpen by Gailey.

Even substantially injured, Fitzpatrick gave the Bills a better shot at winning.

I wouldn't mind the Bills drafting or bringing in any potential upgrade over Thigpen. He showed nothing last year.

I agree that if your starters can play, they should... however I agree Mr. Weo, at some point you have to re-evaluate that plan during a 7 game losing stretch. We went from playoff bound to missing the playoffs and many could argue the play of the QB played a major role in that.

If it is a lack of confidence in Thigpen... why is he still here? That makes me question personnel decisions. It isn't as if he was a rookie and they had to give him time to develop... Thigpen has started in the NFL and played well under Gailey.

Many more could argue that the loss of Freddy, the NFL's yardage leader at that point in the NFL, our starting LT, Sataring FS, Most of our receivers, starting center all out. Not to mention we had no pass rush or could stop the run with George edwards running the show. Maybe that had more to do with it. On top of that you wanted the coach to bench his starting QB becuase he was hurt? Every player is hurt. Fitz was the only guy giving us a shot in some games.

Thigpen played pretty well as a spot starter for Gailey at KC a couple years back, so it made sense to sign him. However, training camp and preseason showed that Thigpen had completely lost whatever magic he had. I don't think he gets into a game unless it's a blowout or Fitz is simply too hurt to take the field. If the Bills draft a QB who looks good in camp, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Thigpen cut. I think the only thing keeping him on the team is that he is an NFL veteran who has started games before, and that brings some value over a guy off the street or Levi Brown.

Thigpen played pretty well as a spot starter for Gailey at KC a couple years back, so it made sense to sign him. However, training camp and preseason showed that Thigpen had completely lost whatever magic he had. I don't think he gets into a game unless it's a blowout or Fitz is simply too hurt to take the field. If the Bills draft a QB who looks good in camp, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Thigpen cut. I think the only thing keeping him on the team is that he is an NFL veteran who has started games before, and that brings some value over a guy off the street or Levi Brown.

This is my thought as well. There has to be (draft or FA) someone who can improve over Thigpen. He was just 'turrible' in the limited time we saw him last year. Can't imagine there isn't a more reliable alternative elsewhere. Unless the Bills go QB early in the draft (I'd be surprised), I'd like to think they'll pick up a QB somewhere in the later rounds who can make Thigpen expendable, or at least relegate him to the 3rd string role.

Or is Brad Smith still listed as the 3rd string QB? I remember last year there was some issue with roster composition and the 3rd string QB, right?

BEIND A BILLS FAN I HAVE DEVELOPED THIS ALWAYS PULLING FOR THE UNDERDOG OR LITTLE GUY THING & I HAVE ALWAYS & WILL ALWAYS BE A FLUTIE FAN , SO WITH THAT BEING SAID I'M IN ON WILSON I THINK HE COULD DO A GREAT JOB FOR OUR TEAM , OR ANY TEAM THAT GETS HIM !!

More injuries than some teams experience in 3 seasons with absolutely no depth at all

Didn't I just read in this same thread where you said,"Plain and simple every single player is hurt every week", which I took to mean injuries are no excuse...you play your best player even when hurt.

Now it seems you are saying having hurt players does expain poor play and that they should of been replaced except for a lack of depth.

Seeems to me that this year there is no excuse for not having depth...if Fitz gets hurt again, you will expect the backup to play (whether it's Thigpen or ?) or do you still maintain that you play the best player even when hurt?

Didn't I just read in this same thread where you said,"Plain and simple every single player is hurt every week", which I took to mean injuries are no excuse...you play your best player even when hurt.

Now it seems you are saying having hurt players does expain poor play and that they should of been replaced except for a lack of depth.

Seeems to me that this year there is no excuse for not having depth...if Fitz gets hurt again, you will expect the backup to play (whether it's Thigpen or ?) or do you still maintain that you play the best player even when hurt?

ACL injuries and broken legs are a bit different than a cracked rib wouldnt ya say?

And I was refering to depth on the rest of the team. I hope none of our backups ever have to play, especially at QB

Edited by Captain Hindsight

If Gailey and the Bills actually lost confidence in Thigpen as the back-up QB, why did they not sign a guy to be on the team the second half of the year, especially because the #3 QB wasn't even allowed to practice being QB anymore because he was forced to play WR.

I don't think Gailey lost confidence in Thigpen one bit. Fitz said 100% he could play and the doctors said he could play, and he plays. To me, his injury was the least of about 5-6 factors in the offense's second half slide.

Yea forget full seasons starting, the preseason games 2 weeks after signing are the only resume to look at.

If Gailey and the Bills actually lost confidence in Thigpen as the back-up QB, why did they not sign a guy to be on the team the second half of the year, especially because the #3 QB wasn't even allowed to practice being QB anymore because he was forced to play WR.

I don't think Gailey lost confidence in Thigpen one bit. Fitz said 100% he could play and the doctors said he could play, and he plays. To me, his injury was the least of about 5-6 factors in the offense's second half slide.

Or even in free agency when options were available