Lombardi on Gabbert

Smears

"Now for the bad. In my 20-plus years in the NFL, I don't think I have seen a high first-round pick look as scared or as out of place as Blaine Gabbert. The game looks entirely too big for him. When the ball is in his hand, he treats it like a hot potato. His play was embarrassing, considering he was a top 10 pick. I believed Gabbert was a good prospect and wrote about it leading up to the draft. When everyone was concerned about his down-field throws, I thought he would be able to adjust. But never did I think his eye level would be this low, his unwillingness to hang in the pocket this bad. I readily admit my mistake. Now the Jags need to do the same. The longer they play him, they run the risk of losing the team. How can they expect the players around him to buy in? Gabbert cannot fool his teammates. If he continues to play like this, no one will want to play with him.

Now, I understand it is really early in Gabbert's career, and the Jags have a pedestrian offense and no receivers around him. But his play borders on that of an undrafted free agent. Organizations that are the most successful are the ones that ignore draft status and evaluate the players on how they play. I realize the Jags have a significant investment in Gabbert, but they have a bigger one in winning games.

Jags GM Gene Smith has a huge problem. He has to lure a coach into Jacksonville and convince that potential coach that what he is seeing on tape is not the player who Gabbert really can become. Who would want the job saddled with a first-round bust? Smith can find anyone to agree to becoming an NFL head coach, but the good candidates will walk away, or won't even interview."from NFL.com

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I felt the same way after watching Gabbert play last season. I was not as high on him in the pre-draft, however. Honestly, his play did not surprise me in the least. I thought he was a guy similar to Jimmy Clausen. Gabbert was a 2nd to 3rd round guy who got people fooled with his size, combine, and likely his interviews. This was a bad pick for Jax, made worse when they let Garrard go in the preseason. Gabbert might have been ready to take the helm this season after sitting last season, but he has the look of a guy who will never recover from last year. Its too bad for him and for Jags. I'm glad we didn't draft him.

Edited by The Cincinnati Kid

"Now for the bad. In my 20-plus years in the NFL, I don't think I have seen a high first-round pick look as scared or as out of place as Blaine Gabbert. The game looks entirely too big for him. When the ball is in his hand, he treats it like a hot potato. His play was embarrassing, considering he was a top 10 pick. I believed Gabbert was a good prospect and wrote about it leading up to the draft. When everyone was concerned about his down-field throws, I thought he would be able to adjust. But never did I think his eye level would be this low, his unwillingness to hang in the pocket this bad. I readily admit my mistake. Now the Jags need to do the same. The longer they play him, they run the risk of losing the team. How can they expect the players around him to buy in? Gabbert cannot fool his teammates. If he continues to play like this, no one will want to play with him.

Now, I understand it is really early in Gabbert's career, and the Jags have a pedestrian offense and no receivers around him. But his play borders on that of an undrafted free agent. Organizations that are the most successful are the ones that ignore draft status and evaluate the players on how they play. I realize the Jags have a significant investment in Gabbert, but they have a bigger one in winning games.

Jags GM Gene Smith has a huge problem. He has to lure a coach into Jacksonville and convince that potential coach that what he is seeing on tape is not the player who Gabbert really can become. Who would want the job saddled with a first-round bust? Smith can find anyone to agree to becoming an NFL head coach, but the good candidates will walk away, or won't even interview."from NFL.com

Um, That question has already been answered. Mike Mularkey is the answer.

Any who, Gaine Blabbert was a bust as clear as day pre-draft, during draft and post draft.

Hopefully the curse of Rob Johnson has finally left the Bills and caught up with the Jags.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Wow. I felt the same way after watching Gabbert play last season. I was not as high on him in the pre-draft, however. Honestly, his play did not surprise me in the least. I thought he was a guy similar to Jimmy Clausen. Gabbert was a 2nd to 3rd round guy who got people fooled with his size, combine, and likely his interviews. This was a bad pick for Jax, made worse when they let Garrard go in the preseason. Gabbert might have been ready to take the helm this season after sitting last season, but he has the look of a guy who will never recover from last year. Its too bad for him and for Jags. I'm glad we didn't draft him.

How could we passed up clasuen! Twice!!!!

Seriously tho I worry about it when guys shoot up the draft board after the season. Tannehill wasnt a top 10 pick 4 months ago and now he could go as high as 4???? Players like that just really concern me and Gabbert could be a good case study in the futrue for that

Seriously tho I worry about it when guys shoot up the draft board after the season. Tannehill wasnt a top 10 pick 4 months ago and now he could go as high as 4???? Players like that just really concern me and Gabbert could be a good case study in the futrue for that

Yeah, but that means an organisation like the Dolphins might take this amzing talent that will make Luck and RG3 combined look like busts! :ph34r:

(Did the Dolphins see what I just wrote? Anyone know if they fell for it?)

I respectfully disagree that there is a formula or a case study to be used with Gabbert. I think putting yourself in that box can be just as dangerous as what you propose. Roethlisberger shot up the board too.

I think in this context it's best to evaluate players individually and worry less about drawing comparisons. In other words I don't believe Gabbert and Tannehill should have anything to do with each other.

I respectfully disagree that there is a formula or a case study to be used with Gabbert. I think putting yourself in that box can be just as dangerous as what you propose. Roethlisberger shot up the board too.

I think in this context it's best to evaluate players individually and worry less about drawing comparisons. In other words I don't believe Gabbert and Tannehill should have anything to do with each other.

Fair enough. Admittedly i dont have all the info, but guys like that worry me especially at the QB position

I know someone on TBD said we had to draft Gabbert. Actually I take that statement back after looking at the TBD Archives. The majority of folks here were wary of Gabbert's sudden rise. In fact it was Mike Mayock who has heading the Gabbert parade in the media. So bravo TBD! You can't fool us.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

All of Blaine Gabbert's college film showed the exact same thing: When the rush gets in his face or he feels any pressure he takes his eyes off of his targets and stares right at the rush. I was totally unimpresed and in the NFL the rush only gets there quicker and with more force, so it's no surprise he's doing the same thing.

In the few times I watched Gabbert last season with the Jags he looked atrocious. I'd tend to agree with more of what Lombardi said than disagree. Good chance Henne sees significant snaps this season as a starter.

The one upside is that this could be a problem solved by a QB coach, not saying its likely but it could be solved. I watched a lot of Jaguars offensive drives last year (Had MJD on my fantasy squad) and I second almost everyone in saying that Gabbert was an embarrassment, any time a defender would get close him or even sometimes when protection held up he would just dive out of the way and not step into throws.

At the same time he had good mobility outside of the pocket, and could stick the deep out if given a clean throwing lane. I'll be interested to see if he can get over his fear of contact.

Fair enough. Admittedly i dont have all the info, but guys like that worry me especially at the QB position

I agree on gabbert and tannehill. It seemed since january their evaluation didn't change but how far a team has to reach for a chance just to get any qb is what changed. Couple that with top ten, start from day one expectations: disaster.

too little credit is given to situations when critiquing QB's. Carr was sacked 72 times his rookie season... he never had a chance, and never recovered. not that some don't handle it better than others, but with an injured O-line and no WR's worth a rat's behind, it was pretty tough for a guy that was supposed to be groomed for a year. no one ever said he was ready when he came out, did they? maybe with his tackles back, and a couple decent WR's, he can get some confidence and play better.

I really wish someone would chronicle all the draft experts who make ludicrous claims like the ones made last year that Gabbert would be as good or better than Newton, or worse, that he'd be a solution for the Bills.

The ESPN draft dummies have a pretty good distribution thing going now, the last thing they need is a bunch of parrots recycling their crap at places like this.

Blaine Gabbert was a media darling plucked from obscurity to fill the Andrew Luck vacuum. If you didn't have the brains to figure that out last year, there's simply no hope for you now, and you're draft speculations should be scribbled into a diary where only you will have the displeasure of reading them. In fact, do yourself and the rest of humanity a favor and toss those thoughts into the fireplace NOW. You know who you are! :pirate: