Lombardi on Gabbert

Smears

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sort of goes to my value rant. If you pick a player, does it matter if you reached or got value? If they can't play he's a bust.

It's also worth remembering that so-called draftniks are influenced by agents to fluff up their clients.

PTR

I'd generally agree but how you handle a top ten qb vs a early second rounder is different. I think it's dumb that coaches cave to the pressure instead of optimizing the player as they see fit, but it happens a lot.

In that sense reaching in the top ten hurts.

Edited by NoSaint

He's being wayyyyy too hard on the guy. Rookie season on a god awful team that was in turmoil. Hardly the basis for success. At least see how he does in year 2 before damning him. I'm not a gabbert fan but hatchet job articles like this make me root for the guy to have a strong season. For all the hatin on the guy he threw for more TDs and fewer picks than HOFer Troy aikman in either of his first 2 seasons. That article seems more about the reporter trying to show what a stand up guy he is for admitting mistakes than a legit player critique

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sorta weird I didnt like Gabbert at all wouldnt have taken him before the fifth - but because Jacksonville played him without leaving him in there to get beat up along with a descent run game it would not suprise me if he made a huge leap forward by the end of next season

A huge leap forward for Gabbert would be like JP in 06

I don't doubt he's the 3rd best qb in the draft, but because he's best qb available as of pick 3, some team will take higher than his skill would otherwise dictate. That team will in turn be pressured to handle him in a way that is not proper as a top 10 qb pick is so closely tied to gm and coach jobs by media, fans and ownership. I think I trust nix and gailey to not pull the trigger just to get a warm body, but I also think nfl GMs talk themselves into bad ideas when desperate (say Miami with tannehill as a possible example next week).

I guess where we disagree is that you're talking about Tannehill being drafted too high as a matter of fact. And that any GM that does that is acting out of deperation. I think the decision is more complicated than that and that an evaluation is done.