Stadium Renovation

weehawk

I would rather the league give in to fan ownership, ala the Green Bay Packers...

Look, there are an awful lot of us relocated Buffalonians (is that really a word?) out here that can read this crap, and say "well, if I still lived there, I'd be OK with having to pay more....." But the point is....

WE DON'T live there anymore!!! And to expect our families and friends back home to be willing to pay more for something we also have a passion for, is absolutely, and utterly, ridiculous!!!

Like most of you, I can't imagine our home city without the Bills, but I'll be damned if I'll commit you to having to pay for something I'm not willing to chip in for....

Mr Brandon, knowing the NFL won't allow fan ownership (the stupid #4@&%s), set up a foundation that we, as displaced natives of Western NY can put up our own money, so our families and friends don't bear the burden alone....

My checkbook is waiting.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There actually are some proposals out there, if the point should ever come that they do build a new stadium. There seems to be some debate over whether it would have a dome roof, or be open air. Compromise that they are leaning towards is a retractable roof. Not sure how I feel about that, but anything that keeps the Bills in Buffalo is, ultimately, alright by me.

Here is a proposal that seems to be most popular:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=buffalo+bills+toilet+bowl&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1318&bih=704&tbm=isch&tbnid=mFKWSdeVs-JrbM:&imgrefurl=https://plus.google.com/100495982785800226764/posts/RKFAQ1kPjy7&docid=LrtlOfAr_WZHzM&imgurl=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ltmi0avyawc/TvTC4wQ7o1I/AAAAAAAAD9E/yQxP3c0k0tk/Untitledattachment00016.jpg&w=426&h=512&ei=T2OLT9SyFoPX0QGK9NmyCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=965&vpy=107&dur=2072&hovh=246&hovw=205&tx=96&ty=130&sig=116848871423644144920&page=4&tbnh=170&tbnw=143&start=62&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:62,i:219

There actually are some proposals out there, if the point should ever come that they do build a new stadium. There seems to be some debate over whether it would have a dome roof, or be open air. Compromise that they are leaning towards is a retractable roof. Not sure how I feel about that, but anything that keeps the Bills in Buffalo is, ultimately, alright by me.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=buffalo+bills+toilet+bowl&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1318&bih=704&tbm=isch&tbnid=mFKWSdeVs-JrbM:&imgrefurl=https://plus.google.com/100495982785800226764/posts/RKFAQ1kPjy7&docid=LrtlOfAr_WZHzM&imgurl=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ltmi0avyawc/TvTC4wQ7o1I/AAAAAAAAD9E/yQxP3c0k0tk/Untitledattachment00016.jpg&w=426&h=512&ei=T2OLT9SyFoPX0QGK9NmyCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=965&vpy=107&dur=2072&hovh=246&hovw=205&tx=96&ty=130&sig=116848871423644144920&page=4&tbnh=170&tbnw=143&start=62&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:62,i:219

:lol:

Most of us woke up to the news this morning that RWS renos are trending more toward $200 million! Based on the article the renos are *not* safety oriented and are more along the lines of "modernizing" the facility.

Tax increases of some sort will definitely be involved to pay for this. Is everyone ok with that in order to have the gates moved out?

Are Bills fans ok with seeing ticket prices go up 20-30% to pay for it? Just curious.

As long as the tax increases bring jobs and revenue to the area i'm all for it. 200 mill should out a good number of construction workers to work, which in turn fills hotels, restaurants, bars, stores and strip clubs. However I dont see how NY taxes could possibly get any higher.

New stadium? Awesome!

PTR

Great news!!!

Where are they building it?

http://www.google.co...,r:4,s:62,i:219

It's so like this organization to cheap out. That's not even a true retractable dome.

How's that thing supposed to open with hundreds of tons of leftover snow on top of it?

Great news!!!

Where are they building it?

It's so like this organization to cheap out. That's not even a true retractable dome.

How's that thing supposed to open with hundreds of tons of leftover snow on top of it?

I guess it makes the bad seasons easier dispose of.

That's a pretty bad rendering. It looks like a soccer field, and I can't find Hammers Lot in the picture.

The state will just bond out its portion, likely $125-$150 million, which likely will be serviced by a surcharge on ticket prices and concessions.

There's no room to increase the local portion of the Erie County sales tax (4.75%), since it's already among the highest in the nation...

Can the state specifically tax the Bills tickets? Or the Concessions sold in the stadium?

I also dont live in the area anymore, so either way, it's not my money.

But with the team looking like it is headed in the right direction, and Ralph recently ponying up the cash for big contracts, then no I wouldnt mind.

Then he can certainly pony up 100 million or so for "his" stadium. He (or his ghost) will get it all back when he sells/passes on.

We all understand that money is tight, but if the proposal comes in at $200 million, it is the most reasonable renovation of an NFL stadium in recent history. It would be great to build a new stadium, but I doubt the money would be available and, fortunately, the Bills are not demanding it. This is the next best option, relatively low cost to modernize the current facility.

The Bills can't go the way the Packers have gone with selling shares of the team obviously but if they are renovating the stadium it would be cool if they could steal another of the Packers' ideas (I have no idea if other teams do this or not) and sell bricks and tiles for fans to dedicate to friends and family and personalize the stadium. The Packers charge $75 and up. It's not going to pay for the new stadium by itself but with so many displaced Buffalonians around the country it could be a good source of revenue for the team if they do it right.

gbbrickstoryimage.jpg

http://www.lambeaufieldbricks.com/

Edited by Pondslider

The Bills can't go the way the Packers have gone with selling shares of the team obviously but if they are renovating the stadium it would be cool if they could steal another of the Packers' ideas (I have no idea if other teams do this or not) and sell bricks and tiles for fans to dedicate to friends and family and personalize the stadium. The Packers charge $75 and up. It's not going to pay for the new stadium by itself but with so many displaced Buffalonians around the country it could be a good source of revenue for the team if they do it right.

gbbrickstoryimage.jpg

http://www.lambeaufieldbricks.com/

They already have that, but it's for charity...

http://www.buffalobills.com/community/tim-rusert-plaza.html

Oh. It's been a few years since I've been to the stadium obviously.. *cough*

More than 10 years? I believe it was put in during the last renovation in the late 90's. Two Bills Drive has a paver there.

I'm actually surprised the Packers bricks are cheaper, they could probably start the pricing at $200 and still get people to buy them.

I'm reading all the bitchy comments about Ralph on the BuffNews site but the Bills are choosing the least expensive option here. The fact is RWS is a county facility. If you don't want to spend money maintaining it you will eventually spend money demolishing it. The Bills are asking for the minimum to keep the Bills viable in Buffalo. If it's too rich for us then maybe we can't afford to be part of the NFL.

Get Phil Anshutz on the phone.

Just did a little figuring: You can raise $200M by raising ticket prices an average of $21 dollars over 15 years. What if you raise tickets by $10, sell bonds, sell naming rights to the field (XXX Field @ RWS), sell bricks, etc etc etc? You can make this work without sticking taxpayers with the tab.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Most of us woke up to the news this morning that RWS renos are trending more toward $200 million! Based on the article the renos are *not* safety oriented and are more along the lines of "modernizing" the facility.

Tax increases of some sort will definitely be involved to pay for this. Is everyone ok with that in order to have the gates moved out?

Are Bills fans ok with seeing ticket prices go up 20-30% to pay for it? Just curious.

If ticket prices went up in order to cover the entire cost of the renovation that Mr. Wilson paid for in its entirety, then absolutely.

But I am not ever in favor of tax increases, particularly state wide tax increases, to pay for a billionaires playground.

Even more so since the renovations are not required (i.e. safety related).

The Bills are asking for the minimum to keep the Bills viable in Buffalo.

PTR

Actually I'd argue that they are not asking for the minimum. The minimum, as I would define it, would be the amount required to cover only safety related items. Which in this case I believe is about $200 million less than the Bills are asking for.

I would rather the league give in to fan ownership, ala the Green Bay Packers...

Look, there are an awful lot of us relocated Buffalonians (is that really a word?) out here that can read this crap, and say "well, if I still lived there, I'd be OK with having to pay more....." But the point is....

WE DON'T live there anymore!!! And to expect our families and friends back home to be willing to pay more for something we also have a passion for, is absolutely, and utterly, ridiculous!!!

Like most of you, I can't imagine our home city without the Bills, but I'll be damned if I'll commit you to having to pay for something I'm not willing to chip in for....

Mr Brandon, knowing the NFL won't allow fan ownership (the stupid #4@&%s), set up a foundation that we, as displaced natives of Western NY can put up our own money, so our families and friends don't bear the burden alone....

My checkbook is waiting.....

I get your point, but plenty of us have moved away and continue to support the team. We have a pair of season tickets, as do many, many other transplants. They're so cheap (compared to other teams) and pretty easy to get rid of without losing too much money, if you lose any money at all. We'll make it to 2-3 games this year probably, and unload the rest.

There's no doubt that the merrits of using taxpayer dollars to support NFL teams is a topic that is ready made for debate, but at the end of the day I feel like the Bills have done a pretty good job of doing improvements to the current facility in order to keep the expense small enough- relatively speaking- to make it affordable to WNY. Also, one thing to think about is the source of the funds to pay back the bonds for the deal. If they surcharge tickets OR take a slice of the parking OR whatever, it might then be paid off in part from outside dollars (folks coming in from out of town for the game and spending dollars in WNY/at games).

BTW, I bet the Bills could pay for at least 25% of the improvments if they placed a $1 surcharge on beer. I mean, if we're already paying like $8.50 a beer, what's another dollar? It's already crossed the affordability threshold!