Would you trade up to 5 for Kalil?

127 members have voted

1. 1. Trade to 5 for Kalil if he falls

• Trade Up!! (Likley cost is our first and second)
    • Take my chances at 10

Adam Schefter was just on ESPN saying that talking to sources around the league he dosent believe that Kalil is a lock for the number 3 pick by the vikings. Since Cleveland has an All-Pro caliber tackle in Joe Thomas and Tampa has a bunch of money invested in Donald Penn, would you be willing to trade up to 5 and edge out St. Louis if this situation occurs? If we give our first and second pick (1780 pts) it should equal the 5 overall pick (1700 pts) according to the trade value chart.

Personally I would love to since it means if we can get Levitre locked up we have our offensive and defensive lines set for the next five years. Your thoughts?

Edited by Byrd the Skyhawk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter was just on ESPN saying that talking to sources around the league he dosent believe that Kalil is a lock for the number 3 pick by the vikings. Since Cleveland has an All-Pro caliber tackle in Joe Thomas and Tampa has a bunch of money invested in Donald Penn, would you be willing to trade up to 5 and edge out St. Louis if this situation occurs? If we give our first and second pick (1780 pts) it should equal the 5 overall pick (1700 pts) according to the trade value chart.

Personally I would love to since it means if we can get Levitre locked up we have our offensive and defensive lines set for the next five years. Your thoughts?

I would be against trading up for Kalil. My preference would be to trade down a few notches, maybe get an extra second or third round pick, and then select Cordy Glenn or Martin with the lower first round pick. I'm assuming that Rieff would be off the board if we moved down.

As the draft approaches I am getting more intriqued with Cordy Glenn. He fits Nix's preference for very big linemen who are also versatile enough to play inside and out. From the prior two Nix drafts it is apparent that he doesn't like to maneuver around. So odds are that he will stand pat and make a selection at the ten spot. If it is Glenn I would be very content.

I would be for it at that price...but there are two pretty big "ifs" there. One, if the Vikings are actually going to pass over him and two, whether it would only cost our first and second picks. Maybe a little more of a price wouldn't be so bad, but I would be surprised if the asking price is higher.

Doubt would only take first and 2nd to move up, especially if Ryan Tannehill is still available. They will likely want next years number one, and think thats too much. We have many needs, and while would love to get him, not sure if giving up the number 2 in a pretty deep draft is worth it.

As much as I hate trading around in the draft (specifically the 1st round), if all it was going to cost was our #10 and #41.... Id have to strongly consider it. Yeah, Id most likely make that trade for Kalil.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

I suppose we have enough ammo to trade back into the 2nd if we wanted too but here goes the never ending stream of speculation trading up always leads to haha.

I'd trade our #1, #2, and #5 for Kalil. Maybe even our second #4 instead of the #5. We get a without-question impact player at a position of significant need, rather than two might-work-out players at positions of moderate/high need.

Make the trade and grab your OLB and WR in rounds 3 and 4a.

I would be against trading up for Kalil. My preference would be to trade down a few notches, maybe get an extra second or third round pick, and then select Cordy Glenn or Martin with the lower first round pick. I'm assuming that Rieff would be off the board if we moved down.

As the draft approaches I am getting more intriqued with Cordy Glenn. He fits Nix's preference for very big linemen who are also versatile enough to play inside and out. From the prior two Nix drafts it is apparent that he doesn't like to maneuver around. So odds are that he will stand pat and make a selection at the ten spot. If it is Glenn I would be very content.

I voted "yes" in the poll, because Kalil seems to be a can't-miss LT prospect, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the #41 to get that. Having said that, I think it's a mortal lock that the Vikings take Kalil. So I'd be fine with your scenario, although I think moving down is even less likely than moving up. The Bills have shown at least a little interest in moving up under Nix (they confirmed that they tried to trade up into the late first round in 2009 for someone who wasn't Tebow), and zero in moving down. They've usually put in their selection within a minute or two of being on the clock, which means they're not even waiting to listen to potential offers. Nix has consistently said he doesn't like trading up because he hates losing a pick, and he doesn't like trading down because he can't stand the idea of missing out on the guy he wants. It seems to me that the more immediate concern would be missing out on an actual player you know you can draft right now vs. giving up a hypothetical pick, where there might not be any great values available anyway.

Anyway, I'm with you on Glenn. I have a feeling he might be the pick. He certainly fits the physical profile that Nix likes in lineman, as well as the geographical profile Nix likes in all players (major conference, southeast). And the team has had him in for a pre-draft visit. I'm not confident enough to bet on it, but Glenn at #10 would be my guess right now.

I would prefer to stand in at 10 and take the BPA as well as at 41. Like others have said, we have too many needs, and I personally think Buddy will find quality NFL players at every round in a draft. He has proven it, especially with last year's draft. We had guy drafted in rounds 1-7 that contributed in some way. This is a deeper draft in terms of quality NFL players, but it is limited in potential All-Pro Caliber players, so I would hate to lose picks this year. Now, trading back from 10 to the mid-teens or early 20's I would do in a heartbeat.

Here's a question for you. Who in front of us even needs a LT? Rams and Vikings? If Vikings trade with Dolphins so that the Dolphins pick Tannehill, that puts the Vikings at 8. Would the Rams pass up on Blackmon to get Kalil? Could we just trade up to 7 with the Jags to get Kalil instead?

This assumes even St. Louis would pick up Kalil. Jeff Fisher always picks up his offensive linemen in later rounds and they've invested considerable money in the OL (the effectiveness being questionable) over the past few drafts.

He'd be doing something very unique by drafting an OL with such a high pick.

Edited by dpberr

If it cost a 3rd or less, I think he is FAR better than any other player that the Bills are likely to get at 10. I *might* be willing to consider even trading our 1st and 2nd to move up to get Kalil. I am in the camp that thinks that LT is a critical position on the OL (and offense overall). I think after Kalil, that there is only a 50-50 chance that any of the remaining OTs can become starting NFL LTs. Some are much higher bets at RT, but still, that isn't what you are looking for in the top 10 of the draft.

I know that the Bills have other needs including WR, OLB and CB with no position beyond any question of being fortified (except maybe RB and DT), but I am of the opinion that LT is more important than any of those positions except maybe CB.

If we give our first and second pick (1780 pts) it should equal the 5 overall pick (1700 pts) according to the trade value chart.

If only giving up the 41st pick would do it, then yes, I'd be all for drafting Kalil.

However, I doubt that's all it would take, despite what the trade value chart suggests...